By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Did Sony show anything last night that Microsoft needs to worry about?

disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
MS has everything to be er.

Again, you asume that all this time that Sony spent catching up, Microsoft was just sitting there and drinking Pina Coladas. 

No, I expect Kinect to be better, smart glass to be smarter, windows like integration. What marvels are you expecting besides  1hr of how amazing the new kinect is.

I have no idea what they will focus on... But I have an idea what their mission statement is with this console.

The Money part means nothing to me, but How can MS stop either Apple or Google when they decide to occupy the living room? 

The next Xbox should be an amazing device, sadly it wont be first or second in the living room.

Sadly, its all hope and dreams, how the $99 360 deals doing in the US. I am going to pay MS, my cable company each month to watch tv, lol.

360 for 99 dollars + monthly subscription (and none of the web TV/ cable features) was just a test.

And no you wont have to pay Microsoft and cable company. You will pay one fee for TV like you do now.   I don't expect most people here to understand the business model so I don't blame you for not getting it.

I work for a cable company in Canada.

Currently none of the big 4 cable providers here have a clue how to attack the web TV market with a sound business model. You can put the content online but advertising revenue on TV vs online is nowhere near parity. Plus for every person that stops watching Glee on TV and goes to watch it online somewhere, who is to say you will go to watch it on the cable sites and not on Netflix and somewhere else.

All cable companies want to move to the IP business model and they will gladly give a cut to Microsoft  (70-30 revenue split most likely) to get a piece of the action online.  This will cover the xbox Live fee.

So basicly a tivo with gaming capability for $99.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

Not as worried as 2006 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:

Again, you asume that all this time that Sony spent catching up, Microsoft was just sitting there and drinking Pina Coladas. 

No, I expect Kinect to be better, smart glass to be smarter, windows like integration. What marvels are you expecting besides  1hr of how amazing the new kinect is.

I have no idea what they will focus on... But I have an idea what their mission statement is with this console.

The Money part means nothing to me, but How can MS stop either Apple or Google when they decide to occupy the living room? 

The next Xbox should be an amazing device, sadly it wont be first or second in the living room.

Sadly, its all hope and dreams, how the $99 360 deals doing in the US. I am going to pay MS, my cable company each month to watch tv, lol.

360 for 99 dollars + monthly subscription (and none of the web TV/ cable features) was just a test.

And no you wont have to pay Microsoft and cable company. You will pay one fee for TV like you do now.   I don't expect most people here to understand the business model so I don't blame you for not getting it.

Currently none of the big 4 cable providers here have a clue how to attack the web TV market with a sound business model. You can put the content online but advertising revenue on TV vs online is nowhere near parity. Plus for every person that stops watching Glee on TV and goes to watch it online somewhere, who is to say you will go to watch it on the cable sites and not on Netflix and somewhere else.

All cable companies want to move to the IP business model and they will gladly give a cut to Microsoft  (70-30 revenue split most likely) to get a piece of the action online.  This will cover the xbox Live fee.

Yep...but you're saying like this is a bad thing.

PVRs are very expensive by themselves my friend - http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/rogers-rogers-motorola-500gb-hd-pvr-receiver-dcx3400-m-8642hd-pvr-500gb/10224426.aspx?path=c8ec0dd352c9b5d982088427a039cadben02

Why wouldn't you want a powerful gaming console wen you sign up for cable with voice integration internet and many other capabilities instead of an overpriced black box?

My company alone signed 400,000 new cable subscribers last quarter. Canada is a small country. US companies do 10X as much. Potential is pretty massive.

This is on top of the millions of xboxes sold at 399 a pop to gamers with all the Halo 5, gears 4, Xbox Liove, Kinect goodies. I can see microsoft hoping to sell 10 million consoles every quarter with thee next Xbox.

disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:

PVRs are very expensive by themselves my friend - http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/rogers-rogers-motorola-500gb-hd-pvr-receiver-dcx3400-m-8642hd-pvr-500gb/10224426.aspx?path=c8ec0dd352c9b5d982088427a039cadben02

Why wouldn't you want a powerful gaming console wen you sign up for cable with voice integration internet and many other capabilities instead of an overpriced black box?

My company alone signed 400,000 new cable subscribers last quarter. Canada is a small country. US companies do 10X as much. Potential is pretty massive.

This is on top of the millions of xboxes sold at 399 a pop to gamers with all the Halo 5, gears 4, Xbox Liove, Kinect goodies. I can see microsoft hoping to sell 10 million consoles every quarter with thee next Xbox.

only 10 million per quater, what about Europe and Japan, maybe an extra million? my god you guys are in for some major disapointment. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:

only 10 million per quater, what about Europe and Japan, maybe an extra million? my god you guys are in for some major disapointment. 

I really don't care if they sell 1 or 100 million so there won't be any dissapointment here. I'm just speaking about what makes business sense and where microsoft should be going but its really up to them.  They could totally fumble and release a standalone console, remove backwards compatibility, start the xbox ecosystem from scratch lose all advantages and charge 599 and completely flop. I'd bet money they won't though.  ;)

Working in advertising, I've dealt with Microsoft almost as often as I deal with Google. I get what their corporate culture is like as of late and how they think...

These days, when releasing a product like Xbox they don't think "how do we make Xbox a success?" and stop there.

Their approach is "how do we make xbox successful, while pushing Bing search and Microsoft services, while we capitalize on advertising revenue and tie in Windows in some manner".

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

Eyetoy/kinect thingy is allready being done better with the next Xbox.
Smartglass allready exists with 360
Social features/apps MS has 0 to worry about
Cross game chat has been done on 360 for several years.
MS allready has cloud tech of their own, just more hush hush about it.
Forza 5 > their driving game
Halo 5 > Killzone
Destiny, Watchdogs, Witcher 3 will be on Xbox.
Throw in a LONG OVERDUE core Rare title, Fable MMO thats been rumored, Blacktusk Studios AAA game, Ryse gameplay, some 3rd party deal, and you got a winner.

Introducing Xbox Plus would also be nice

Everyone just ignore what sales2099 has to say.. From what I have read in his many comments about the upcoming PS4, he is the number #1 Xbox fanboy... Or Xbots, as I like to call them. I wonder why he spends his time worrying about sony... 

And I wonder why you spend your time thinking about "Xbots" and make a forum handle "XbotKiller".

No.

J_Allard said:
And I wonder why you spend your time thinking about "Xbots" and make a forum handle "XbotKiller".

J Allard.. I checked your posts, and you have won yourself number #2 xbot on the forums. congrats. I think you guys just spend your time attacking PS4 because you're upset that your preference, Xbox, isn't the best console, and feel threatened by it's competition? Hence all your opinionated posts about killzone shadow fall. Just like the opinions presented by sales2099.  

NiKKoM said:
Square Enix... if they show up like that at the MS announcement...

I lol'd