By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Now i Agree, This Will be the Last Generation of Home Consoles.

Mr Khan said:
I agree, but for different reasons. Largely because nearer to the end of this decade when the next gen rolls around, technology will at last be largely beyond the need for dedicated home consoles, so we're going to see a three-way divergance

Nintendo is going to build a handheld/console hybrid. Something that can hook up to the TV or be carried around.

Microsoft will move more towards a set-top box format, which will be closer towards the PC ideal to sidestep Windows' threatened position in the home.

Sony's going to move to a purely service-based system after cultivating Gaikai and as superfast internet begins to spread, and it'll be a "works best with Sony smart TVs" sort of thing.

holy crap.  you just ctrl-c'd my brain and pasted it here for all to see.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Mr Khan said:
I agree, but for different reasons. Largely because nearer to the end of this decade when the next gen rolls around, technology will at last be largely beyond the need for dedicated home consoles, so we're going to see a three-way divergance

Nintendo is going to build a handheld/console hybrid. Something that can hook up to the TV or be carried around.

Microsoft will move more towards a set-top box format, which will be closer towards the PC ideal to sidestep Windows' threatened position in the home.

Sony's going to move to a purely service-based system after cultivating Gaikai and as superfast internet begins to spread, and it'll be a "works best with Sony smart TVs" sort of thing.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=155613&page=1#

sethnintendo said:
kitler53 said:
Mr Khan said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=155613&page=1#

i will not deny having had read said thread..

No no no... This is the last generation for Sony.

PS4 is the Dreamcast of Sony.

Paquito said:
No no no... This is the last generation for Sony.

PS4 is the Dreamcast of Sony.

Well, maybe minus those awesome games the Dreamcast had, like Power Stone & Hydro Thinder & Sonic Adventure & Vigilante 8 part 2 & so fort.

But let's just wait 12 months to 3 years after release of the PS4, okay.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

What aways amuses me...

...Apples v. Oranges.

Snipped for brevity.  This is spot on and indicitive of market and societal zeitgeist.  It is possible for various forms of gaming to exist.  Consoles didn't kill PCs, handhelds did not kill either, and phones will be the same.

It is incredible how much gaming has grown in 40 years, and yet all I hear every couple years is how it is doomed.  I don't doubt there arte challenges ahead, but I think consles will persevere as long as quality games are made.

pezus said:
You mention NPD and then say Nintendo are the only ones to do it right with 3DS...uhm, OK. Not only does 3DS not sell very well in USA, but the USA is not the world either. Go to boxofficemojo and see how the "outside world" is getting ever more important. USA's decline in buying consoles won't matter on the whole (if sales even decline - there's nothing to suggest that), since other markets will rise up to pick up the scraps.

Several months Ago the 3DS had sold 9 million in Japan, while it had also sold 8 million in America in that same month, even though Japanese got a 1 month head start which gave them the advantage.

Next time don't assume something just because of different events, which have nothing to do with this other event. (hope you get the metaphor)

I use to assume the PS Vita had a big gap in its favor just because of the PSP vs. DS, but then in March 2012 I found out it only had 17.7 million more polygons, and that the CPU in both systems are underclock near the same clock speeds.

I later on in 2012 found out that the 3DS had way more shader cores & triangles and that the 3DS did more in the post processing of its camera footage. So the hardware in both Handhelds are mix-match.

So I know what it's like to assume stuff that seems to be true, but recently found out that it's best to research the current stuff before assuming next time. Which is something I will be doing from now on after the past couple of years.

Yes, I completely agree - instead of console, I definitely want to play these games on tablet:

- Gangstar Miami instead of GTA
- N.O.V.A instead of Halo/Killzone
- Hero of Sparta instead God of War
- Shadow Guardian instead of Uncharted
- Backstab instead of Assassin's Creed
- Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden instead of Zelda

just to name a few.

/end sarcasm

Poor Gameloft, feel sorry now for making this list, but they are kings of rip-offs...

Turkish said:
Lmao, the Angry Bird audience has never played a PlayStation before, why do you think they will threathen traditional console gaming?

I think you should ask that question again with the PS5.

not true...a lot of these people owned a wii, ps2 and (whatever came before them)in their day. they are the typical consumer that buys the latest hot thing.

@OP, If you want evolution then look at indie games on Nintendo's eshop, PSN, and XBL. This is where most of the original ideas are coming from for gaming these days.