By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If MS switches to GDDR5 now, did Sony make a silly mistake?

Some of you seriously overreact.

The extra power is well worth it especially if its easy to use, PS3s failure was its extra horsepower was to damn hard to tap. While the $100 price difference is irrelevant, PS3s greatest failure was launching a year after the 360 not the price. Get over The price, average median age of gamers is something like 38.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
taus90 said:

but most of the leaks and rumors did suggest that sony would be pushing for 8 gigs of ram into the final specs. So i assume sony had planned it long back with two schematic of the board and i doubt there will be any R&D hit, just to increase the memory of the same type (GDDR5). If the upgrade was from DDR3 or had two prototype for the board, one for DDR3 and one for GDDR5 then there would be a serious R&D hit. 

No they didn't. People argued they might to match MS, but up until yesterday it was 4GB retail and a known 8GB in dev kits where the extra amount was for developer tools. Now if that full 8GB is for games, new dev kits will be released with more than 8GB

Digital foundry reported 4 gigs and Kotaku reported 8gigs, both of them were rumors at that point of time, not confirmed but the latter turned out to be true and i m pretty sure developer tools isnt stored on ram. its just that we have to agree to disagree

Soleron said:
Design for both consoles was fixed a LONG time ago. Two years or more. It isn't something that can be swapped out, validated, and put into mass production in six months.

Secondly, when has a single spec ever decided the fate of a console?

Well, speaking out my mind exactly, including 3rd party developers who started working on the newer engines with kits for almost two years tend to vouch for consoles that come with decent specs asap and reach mass market sooner. As PS2 had advantage over Xbox. Moreover MS will be thinking about the production's supply constraints and cost before going for huge hardware improvements. This is a neat strategy sony is playing.

CGI-Quality said:
Plezbo said:
Fireforgey said:
CGI-Quality said:

Wasn't the Super NES more powerful than the Genesis? Yep, thought so!

But wasn't as powerful as the TURBO-GRAFIX.....so Yeah.

Or the 3DO or NeoGeo.  

Which weren't 16-bit systems.

NeoGeo used a moto 68000, a 16 bits chip.

Doesn't RAM just make stuff go faster I don't see the big deal of having GDDR5 vs whatever MS is using.

Around the Network
enditall727 said:
drkohler said:
enditall727 said:

the amount of ram does not change the design of a console

C'mon now, superchunk..

In this very thread, only a few posts above ypurs, I have explained in detail why MS cannot do the changes you seem zo favour.

Why do you insist on writing nonsense instead of reading the thread?

I think i skipped reading your comment because you lacked an avatar

but.... uhhh.... i didn't say anything about M$. I was talking to superchunk about the PS4 not being shown...

I gots to get me an Avatar.  The problem is the one that I always used was Vincent from FFVII which on a video game forum is about as generic as generic can get.  OR maybe it has gone out of fashion and it has become cool and hip again.....I put waaaay too much thought into my avatar :(.

CGI-Quality said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Soleron said:
Design for both consoles was fixed a LONG time ago. Two years or more. It isn't something that can be swapped out, validated, and put into mass production in six months.

and with that said, games have already been optimized for each console, so any changes now...........just read what soleron said.

secondly. never. not to mention, the most powerful console, has never won the war. things look to change on that front.

nm

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
CGI-Quality said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Soleron said:

and with that said, games have already been optimized for each console, so any changes now...........just read what soleron said.

secondly. never. not to mention, the most powerful console, has never won the war. things look to change on that front.

i don't go back that far lol. i'm bad when it comes to tech. maybe the number 1 selling console manufactor (Sony) can do the hat trick lol.

what about the SNES?

The SNES did win the generation though CGI. Not in all regions but globally it did.

CGI-Quality said:
Soleron said:

Simple, when the Cell processor became a b**** to program for, and thus, cost Sony a serious headache. PS3 ports continue to suffer as a result. However, I agree with you, the console's specs were fixed sometime ago, so unless the rumors of the next Xbox have been wrong, it will be final at 8GB DDR3.

The cell was a problem to be solved and over time has become less of a problem to the point it's advantages out weight it's programming difficulties the big  problem was and still is the memory set up coupled to a gpu a gen behind it's competitor that was always going to be a bigger problem.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

fillet said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
CGI-Quality said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Soleron said:

i don't go back that far lol. i'm bad when it comes to tech. maybe the number 1 selling console manufactor (Sony) can do the hat trick lol.

what about the SNES?

The SNES did win the generation though CGI. Not in all regions but globally it did.

yea the original convo was about nes though well realy about powerful consoles nevr winning the war.