By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If MS switches to GDDR5 now, did Sony make a silly mistake?

Darth Tigris said:
That's assuming the leaks are accurate, which wasn't the case with the PS4, right?

Although most rumours had 4GB of GDDR4, there were a couple which said 8GB, looks like those ones were correct afterall.

Around the Network

Why should MS care?

its all about innovation, Ps4 will be another Vita i dont see anything exciting...

Serious ? Games with better graphics ? Serious ? thats the reason Vita is Dead, reason why Ps4 wont get any better than Vita.

If Microsoft does the same Consoles are dead imo.

Smartphones and Tablets will reign supreme.

I admit that i thought it would be 4GB RAM. I remember arguing ( can't remember with who but they were a few members ) that 8GB of DDR5 RAM was never ever going to happen.

I was wrong. To be honest I am a bit glad to be wrong.

CGI-Quality said:

Wasn't the Super NES more powerful than the Genesis? Yep, thought so!

No and yes. No, in that the base SNES was weaker than the Genesis. Yes, in that the SNES, like the NES before it, was deliberately designed with weaker hardware specs, but with the option to access additional RAM and processing power found in some game cartridges. The FX Chip, for example, was an actual chip.

Technically the Genesis could do the same, but it was extremely cumbersome to to do, so only one very-late game ever took advantage of that.

CGI-Quality said:
Fireforgey said:

But wasn't as powerful as the TURBO-GRAFIX.....so Yeah.

Which played no direct role in that generation. That's like bringing up the 3DO vs the CD-i.

Incorrect. The Turbo-Grafx was actually a bigger system in Japan than the Genesis, for example, and by a wide margin. It was very much a part of the SNES/Genesis generation, even if it didn't do so well in America.

Argh_College said:
Why should MS care?

its all about innovation, Ps4 will be another Vita i dont see anything exciting...

Serious ? Games with better graphics ? Serious ? thats the reason Vita is Dead, reason why Ps4 wont get any better than Vita.

If Microsoft does the same Consoles are dead imo.

Smartphones and Tablets will reign supreme.

I'm going to hold you to this. I am now expecting some new innovation from M$ that can't be seen on PS4

My expectations have now risen. lets hope they don't dissappoint :)

Around the Network
Fireforgey said:
CGI-Quality said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Soleron said:
Design for both consoles was fixed a LONG time ago. Two years or more. It isn't something that can be swapped out, validated, and put into mass production in six months.

Secondly, when has a single spec ever decided the fate of a console?

and with that said, games have already been optimized for each console, so any changes now...........just read what soleron said.

secondly. never. not to mention, the most powerful console, has never won the war. things look to change on that front.

Wasn't the Super NES more powerful than the Genesis? Yep, thought so!

But wasn't as powerful as the TURBO-GRAFIX.....so Yeah.

Or the 3DO or NeoGeo.  

CGI-Quality said:

Who talks about the TG-16 today? Not many.

In America? That has roughly zero bearing on the underlying discussion (and might even add some weight to his side of the discussion).

superchunk said:
taus90 said:

Don't think so, coz dev kits already have 8gigs, so design of the board is pretty much locked, nothing to change there.. and i m pretty sure sony would have had two mb design one for 4 gigs and 8gigs. And why sony didnt show the case, i like to assume they saved that for E3, to not allow MS steal the limelight. Surprisingly Sony has started this generation with good PR marketing tactics, which PS3 sorely missed.

These early dev kits were slapped together PCs. The PS4 design was 4GB and I'm pretty positive they wouldn't of had a fully detailed alternate design with casing based on 8GB. That would be wasted R&D. This is morethan likely a reactionary move by Sony to match the 8GB in neXtBox and they are likely redesigning the entire thing to account for the dramatic physical increase in RAM.

Sure part of that is conjecture and assumptions... but they are the most likely ones when you consider all options.

but most of the leaks and rumors did suggest that sony would be pushing for 8 gigs of ram into the final specs. So i assume sony had planned it long back with two schematic of the board and i doubt there will be any R&D hit, just to increase the memory of the same type (GDDR5). If the upgrade was from DDR3 or had two prototype for the board, one for DDR3 and one for GDDR5 then there would be a serious R&D hit. 

taus90 said:

but most of the leaks and rumors did suggest that sony would be pushing for 8 gigs of ram into the final specs. So i assume sony had planned it long back with two schematic of the board and i doubt there will be any R&D hit, just to increase the memory of the same type (GDDR5). If the upgrade was from DDR3 or had two prototype for the board, one for DDR3 and one for GDDR5 then there would be a serious R&D hit. 

No they didn't. People argued they might to match MS, but up until yesterday it was 4GB retail and a known 8GB in dev kits where the extra amount was for developer tools. Now if that full 8GB is for games, new dev kits will be released with more than 8GB.

Seeing as how we saw no actual PS3 at the conference I think it's all subject to change. Even the console's release date.