By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 cpu underpowered?

First of all let me start with saying that i'm very excited about the PS4 overall. There is one thing that worries me though, and that's the choise of cpu. It's based on the AMD Jaguar architecture, wich is AMD's new architecture for low-power devices. Now low-power consumption probably sounds nice, but it also means it's much slower.

The Jaguar architecture is AMD's successor to it's Bobcat architecture. Bobcat was used in their E-350/E-450 APU's and is used in the cheapest netbooks and mini/htpc pc's. Moreover Jaguar is rumored to only be about 30% faster than Bobcat.

As a reference i have a mini HTPC with a e-350 and i can tell you, it's annoyingly slow and can only run HD videos properly because of the GPU video acceleration. Hounestly in games the integrated gpu can't even be fully used because it's so cpu limited. It's really more a cpu for internet/e-mail netbooks than a gaming console.

Around the Network

No.

PS4 will be the most powerful console this generation. Stop trying to derail the hype train.

Ummm No.

No i'm serious, like a said i have a mini-pc with a E-350 and it can't run games decently because it's heavy cpu limited. My 7 year old laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo and extremely slow INtel integrated graphics runs games smoother, while the gpu in the E-350 cpu is like 10 times faster.

The CPU is considerably the weakest point of the console, but the Xbox is using the same supposedly. For games it is more about the GPU. That is what will render the graphics. Still, think 8 cores and the amount of processing it can do over the PS3. Not as bogged down rendering graphics, able to run multiple functions. It is still very impressive.

They could go with piledriver or an Intel CPU, but they are trying to offer an architecture for developers while operating non gaming functions in the background. It is a solid choice that will offer function and a cheap and low power draw.

PS4 is an amazing package from start to finish.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network

no, sorry

http://boards.gooshack.com/k/view-ex036.gif

I think it is good enough^^

The nice thing about consoles is their OS is stripped down to bare bones to keep overhead to a minimum. Your Mini PC has to run a full OS on top of the games. The PS4 can do a lot more with the same CPU because what it's doing is far more focused. The same will be said of the Nextbox which is rumored to have a similar processor.

No man, the focus will be on the gpu.

Yes, it's underpowered by PC standards, but it won't matter if the gpgpu API is at least decent. Most intensive number crunching threads can be offload to the graphics chip, knowing that every console will have it.

PS: It's probable that the Durango CPU will be very similar to PS4 one.