By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 cpu underpowered?

9087 said:
No.

PS4 will be the most powerful console this generation. Stop trying to derail the hype train.

From what im seeing its been derailed significantly compared to yesterday

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Yes... depending on how you look at it.

Its 8-core. That's badass.

However, its 1.6GHz... 1/2 the speed of X360.

Its also a "mobile" series of the chip so in relation to other chips AMD will produce, it will be a lower-spec'd CPU.

But don't worry, its still ~4x the power of WiiU's CPU and almost ~6x the power of PS360 (if you consider them relatively similar) AND its a far more modern architecture AND you have a TON more RAM that is also 100x faster. So in the end, its a pretty big jump in capability.

9087 said:
No.

PS4 will be the most powerful console this generation. Stop trying to derail the hype train.

So you are admitting that the PS4 will not win this gen. As the most powerful console never wins. Just look at the PS3, Xbox, Nintendo 64, etc.

First the Wii U had a weak CPU now the PS4. If that is the case, it probably won't matter since both consoles are confirmed to focus heavily more the GPU then the CPU.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

superchunk said:

Its also a "mobile" series of the chip so in relation to other chips AMD will produce, it will be a lower-spec'd CPU.

But don't worry, its still ~4x the power of WiiU's CPU and almost ~6x the power of PS360 (if you consider them relatively similar) AND its a far more modern architecture AND you have a TON more RAM that is also 100x faster. So in the end, its a pretty big jump in capability.

clock speed isn't important - architecture is, compare a 3.4ghz Pentium 4 HT to a 2.66ghz Intel i5-750 to see what i mean.

Around the Network
AnthonyW86 said:

First of all let me start with saying that i'm very excited about the PS4 overall. There is one thing that worries me though, and that's the choise of cpu. It's based on the AMD Jaguar architecture, wich is AMD's new architecture for low-power devices. Now low-power consumption probably sounds nice, but it also means it's much slower.

The Jaguar architecture is AMD's successor to it's Bobcat architecture. Bobcat was used in their E-350/E-450 APU's and is used in the cheapest netbooks and mini/htpc pc's. Moreover Jaguar is rumored to only be about 30% faster than Bobcat.

As a reference i have a mini HTPC with a e-350 and i can tell you, it's annoyingly slow and can only run HD videos properly because of the GPU video acceleration. Hounestly in games the integrated gpu can't even be fully used because it's so cpu limited. It's really more a cpu for internet/e-mail netbooks than a gaming console.

A portion of the conference showed a demo, and said because of our architecture, we can run this almost entirely off the gpu using a fraction of its power.

Compared with what?

- Wii U / 360 ? No... PS4 have a way better CPU than these consoles.
- Intel Core i7 ? Yes... it is way underpowered.

Tachikoma said:
superchunk said:

Its also a "mobile" series of the chip so in relation to other chips AMD will produce, it will be a lower-spec'd APU.

clock speed isn't important - architecture is, compare a 3.4ghz Pentium 4 HT to a 2.66ghz Intel i5-750 to see what i mean.

.... aaand I mentioned that in my post. But thank you. My answer of "yes" isnt' in relation to PS360 but to other AMD configurations of this chip.

ethomaz said:
Compared with what?

- Wii U / 360 ? No... PS4 have a way better CPU than these consoles.
- Intel Core i7 ? Yes... it is way underpowered.

Kinda my point as it matters how you look at it.

Argh_College said:
maverick40 said:
Argh_College said:
9087 said:
No.

And that wont mean sh** sales-wise.

Lets see what Microsoft has in store, i expect identical power but with alot more innovation, something that Sony clearly lacks.

Ps Eye is Kinect, Launch Games are basically what we already have on Ps3, sequels, more sequels and the best shows were Capcom Game and Square Enix Trailer.

Apart from Ps4 amazing power, i dont saw anything we hadnt saw yet, games looks amazing sure but is that it ? Next Gen will be only about Graphics ? That Psn interface looks rough, facebook ? Seriously, facebook is filtered with spam from everysingle page if we are going to see everything on facebook on Psn its going to be a mess. i have like 1k friends on face mostly i dont even know who they are, i wont be deleting everyone for sure so they will all appear there ? What a mess it will be.

People are too excited but this service looks just rough, apart from the Share button and Gaikai Streaming of Games.

I rather have the simplicity of Live, if Xbox foes this way with Facebook and all that nonsense than gaming is doomed, its no longer about games, Sony was the company about games is making Ps4 a facebook station, where are the new ips ? Crack looks avarage, the other are multi tittles.

As i said, powerfull but that doesnt mean anything, if they dont provied good services im out. That Psn with facebook looks awfull, i hope it can be disabled.

Microsoft better impress me, Sony clearly hasnt, neither Nintendo.

Did you even watch the conference? Out of every thing they showed, "facebook with PSN" is you remember? Try harder mate. 

What about, watching friends play and help them with remote play? A sleep mode for the console? Play the games as you are downloading them? Stream playstation 4 games to the Vita? An additional processor to handle the backend stuff? Allows Used games? Does not require an internet connection?

Please, get out of here that rubbish. 

Nobody cares about Vita useless Feature.

Playing the games is pretty awesome.

Allowing used games and not internet has allways been in every console anyway.

Watching friends and help them seems a great feature but i can already do that on Live, just invite me.

Haha.

"MAN NO innovation. Useless conference".

-"uh what about that vita featur-"

"Nobody CARES about that."

Yep. No one cares for innovation. You wouldn't have cared for PS4 even if it was innovative in some way.

Anyways it is Playstation 4. Not Innovation 4. There will be unique games for it so who cares if the hardware isn't innovative.