By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Fast food differences between countries

After reading the Coke vs Pepsi thread, I began to wonder: do ALL McDonalds and Burger Kings wordwide sell Coca Cola drinks? Do all KFCs worldwide sell Pepsi drinks? Are there other differences amongst fast food restaurants?

Are there any fast food restuarants in your country that are nowhere else? What is your opinion of them? Are there restraunts located all over the world, but do unique things in your country?

I'll list a few things here that I think are different:

- The biggest one would be the name Hungry Jacks. It's actually the result of Burger King selling their franchising rights to a man named Jack.....someone, I can't remember. Anyway, this was yeeears ago, so he got the franchise rights for really cheap, possibly because Burger King might have thought Australia would not be a real market one day. Jack called all restaurant franchises here Hungry Jacks. Anyway, Burger King wanted the franchise rights back but Jack refused to sell them back or something, so Burger King, for a short time, opened stores to compete with Hungry Jacks. It was mostly the same stuff, though Burger King tried a few different kids promotions to try and tip the scales. In around 2003 or so, Burger King gave up, and sold their stores to Hungry Jacks, which was hilarious for a short while, because sometimes Burger King would set up shop opposite Hungry Jacks, so for a short time until the excess stores were closed down, Hungry Jacks seemed as abundant as Starbucks!

- McDonalds here is often called Maccas (pronounced more like Mackers, for the Americans). It's recent addition was a burger made of lamb, and consisted of a salad and a fried egg. It isn't cheap either: $7 for a burger (not in a meal or anything), but it's certainly an interesting flavour!

- We only have a few other franchises that are here. Our biggest ones  most likely Red Rooster (generic chicken fast food joint, but moving into seafoods as well), Oporto (peri peri chicken fast food. I love these, but they're only in capital cities) and Eagle Boys (a pizza place that started in my home town. It's very wiidespread now). There's also a Mexican franchise known as Taco Bill (no, not Taco Bell. That's what confused me when I heard about Taco Bell. I asked "Don't you mean Taco Bill?"). They've been around since the 1960s

Around the Network

You missed Nandos. The best of them all.

ironmanDX said:

Nandos is South African, I believe...

in the Philippines and other countries in asia... they sell rice in McDonalds, KFC, etc etc...
also in the Philippines instead of lemonade they have pineapple juice...

mcdonals also have spaghetti...

they use the gravy on fried chicken in all the fast food... lots of them

all the servings are Super SMALL...

KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell used to be owned by PepsiCo that's why they only serve Pepsi products.

Around the Network
aikohualda said:
in the Philippines and other countries in asia... they sell rice in McDonalds, KFC, etc etc...
also in the Philippines instead of lemonade they have pineapple juice...

mcdonals also have spaghetti...

they use the gravy on fried chicken in all the fast food... lots of them

all the servings are Super SMALL...

Nice! Is the rice a side dish, like fries?

Is there a reason why Lemonade isn't around, or is it just that pineapple juice is more popular?

we dont get free ketchup..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

fordy said:
ironmanDX said:

Portuguese!

I forgot a major one:

The Aussies are MASSIVE consumers of flavoured milk. In fact, the state of South Australia had a (ongoing?) period where it's own brand Farmers Union Iced Coffee outsold Coca Cola! In response, McDonalds started selling Iced Coffee (supplied by Farmers Union) all across Australia.

ironmanDX said:
fordy said:
ironmanDX said:

Portuguese!

I mean the franchise....

It's like saying Eagle Boys is Italian, even though it started in Australia.