By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How could a pokemon nfc game impact the wii u?

Nintendo recently said that they are maing a nfc (near-field communication) game for wii u. The game is scheduled for a release later this year.

Now, what game could this be. Well everything, really. It could be a new IP, it could be another mario spinoff. But we all think the same. Pokemon. The question is really, if they made a nfc pokemon game, that played like skylanders, how much would that game sell? Could it come close to the main games?

We know that activision are making tons of money from skylanders, but the series have "only" sold 7.78 millions. A nfc pokemon game, that is rightfully advertised, should be more than capable of beating that in one shot. And if they release it to good reviews with a bit of advertisement this holiday, then I firmly believe that it will be the "super mario 3d land" of wii u.

What do you think?

Around the Network

More people have to buy the dang WiiU 1st for that to work.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

IsawYoshi said:

The question is really, if they made a nfc pokemon game, that played like skylanders, how much would that game sell? 

How does Skylanders play actually?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

It would be a huge system seller. And it would make Nintendo a ton of money. I'm not sure how the proceeds of the toys are distributed, but I'm sure Nintendo would get a slice.

I'm not sure how well it would sell. Maybe around 5.5 million?

Otakumegane said:

If they for once make a competend commercial it should be possible. And if a pokemon nfc game launches this holiday, it will probably get company with a mario game that will sell more consoles, and the game will ride on the popularity of x and y. Maybe some kind of connectivity between the two games, like some pokemons you can only get in the nfc game, and then you can transfer it over to x and y. 

Around the Network

parents would hate that.

Can you imagine having 700+ pokemon figurines in your house so you can play a game?

Much better to have a Yugioh type game where its cards.

IsawYoshi said:
Otakumegane said:

If they for once make a competend commercial it should be possible. And if a pokemon nfc game launches this holiday, it will probably get company with a mario game that will sell more consoles, and the game will ride on the popularity of x and y. Maybe some kind of connectivity between the two games, like some pokemons you can only get in the nfc game, and then you can transfer it over to x and y. 

Riding on the hype of Pokemon X/Y huh. Wow. That would actually work.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Mnementh said:

IsawYoshi said:

The question is really, if they made a nfc pokemon game, that played like skylanders, how much would that game sell? 

I do not own the game, but I have played it for a little while, and from what I could see, it was like some kind of rpg. At least, my point was that you get a open world where you play as your pokemons (figurines). 

irstupid said:
parents would hate that.

Can you imagine having 700+ pokemon figurines in your house so you can play a game?

Much better to have a Yugioh type game where its cards.

NFC works with cards too, so why not Pokemon-trading-cards.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

IsawYoshi said:
Mnementh said:

IsawYoshi said:

I do not own the game, but I have played it for a little while, and from what I could see, it was like some kind of rpg. At least, my point was that you get a open world where you play as your pokemons (figurines). 

So Skylanders plays similarly to Pokemon, but you 'catch' new types by buying the figurine?