By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How could a pokemon nfc game impact the wii u?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
teigaga said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
teigaga said:
It would be a big deal but only to children. Many of them are likely to buy a Wii U anyway... Its all the otehr demographics nintendo need to be concerned with

How many children have $350 in disposable income? ;)

Seriously, though, it would be a huge hit with all age groups. Pokemon is an insanely popular brand. You only have to look at the fans on this site to see that adults love Pokemon too.

I don't think it will, reason being It would not work with the traditional pokemon format (I.e the popular games on the handhelds). The whole point is you explore the in game-world fighting and catching the pokemon you want as opposed to exploring your local toys-R-Us and picking whatever pokemon you desire. It completely depletes the point of the games. It could maybe be used in an non traditional pokemon game but they are for the most part bad games and do not sell in huge quantities. I'm a pokemon fan but my fandom is limited to the RPGs and not teh franchise as a whole.

I would add that I think the concept of NFC is very limited in its appeal to adults. Unlike children who you can easily fool, we know they're essentially giving you an unfinished game and making you buy all the characters that should have been in it. Unless it was free to play, such a game would undoubtably be the biggest abuse of the modern DLC model imaginable. 

Finally SKylanders is a big deal, but its not actually a humungous seller (its highest single platform sales is 2m), more or less in line with Nintendo's weak exclusives. Each game sells in total around 4m across all platforms which is still mighty successfull but the games real power is in its power to draw further revenue from the customer. So If a pokemon NFC was to work it would make tons of money for nintendo, not sure if it would have much effect on the hardware though.

The point is well taken. I agree the toys will be more appealing to younger people.

But I still think many people would buy a Wii U for a console Pokemon game, especially if it was as deep and addictive as the portable titles.

Still, I think it's a moot point. I don't expect a NFC Pokemon game for Wii U anytime soon. I expect this rumored game to be a new IP, and to use NFC pieces included with the software.

Without a doubt, a AAA wii U pokemon would sell a massive amount of wii U consoles.  But If they were to try and incorporate NPC I think it would only limit the games potential popularity, not to say it still wouldn't be successful. But we all know Nintendo doesn't respect Pokemon fans enough to deliver on true pokemon experience.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
teigaga said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
teigaga said:
It would be a big deal but only to children. Many of them are likely to buy a Wii U anyway... Its all the otehr demographics nintendo need to be concerned with

How many children have $350 in disposable income? ;)

Seriously, though, it would be a huge hit with all age groups. Pokemon is an insanely popular brand. You only have to look at the fans on this site to see that adults love Pokemon too.

I don't think it will, reason being It would not work with the traditional pokemon format (I.e the popular games on the handhelds). The whole point is you explore the in game-world fighting and catching the pokemon you want as opposed to exploring your local toys-R-Us and picking whatever pokemon you desire. It completely depletes the point of the games. It could maybe be used in an non traditional pokemon game but they are for the most part bad games and do not sell in huge quantities. I'm a pokemon fan but my fandom is limited to the RPGs and not teh franchise as a whole.

I would add that I think the concept of NFC is very limited in its appeal to adults. Unlike children who you can easily fool, we know they're essentially giving you an unfinished game and making you buy all the characters that should have been in it. Unless it was free to play, such a game would undoubtably be the biggest abuse of the modern DLC model imaginable. 

Finally SKylanders is a big deal, but its not actually a humungous seller (its highest single platform sales is 2m), more or less in line with Nintendo's weak exclusives. Each game sells in total around 4m across all platforms which is still mighty successfull but the games real power is in its power to draw further revenue from the customer. So If a pokemon NFC was to work it would make tons of money for nintendo, not sure if it would have much effect on the hardware though.

The point is well taken. I agree the toys will be more appealing to younger people.

But I still think many people would buy a Wii U for a console Pokemon game, especially if it was as deep and addictive as the portable titles.

Still, I think it's a moot point. I don't expect a NFC Pokemon game for Wii U anytime soon. I expect this rumored game to be a new IP, and to use NFC pieces included with the software.

Without a doubt, a AAA wii U pokemon would sell a massive amount of wii U consoles.  But If they were to try and incorporate NPC I think it would only limit the games potential popularity, not to say it still wouldn't be successful. But we all know Nintendo doesn't respect Pokemon fans enough to deliver on true pokemon experience.

As far as I know, the final fantasy mmo have generated more money for square than any other final fantasy game, but sales wise the game is far behind. This game could make pokemon cards and figurines selling even more, it could make the tv program even more popular, and it could boost the series as a whole.

IsawYoshi said:
DélioPT said:
IsawYoshi said:
DélioPT said:

In my mind Z would be a standalone game that could interact with the 3DS' games.
The buyable Pokemon would be a way to lure people into... wait for it... a Pokemon MMO! SHOCK! :D

Imagine you having a 3DS and Wii U and taking you X or Y Pokemon games online for some quests?

The more connectivity the better. But I would say that it would be terribbly unfair if there were som kind of battle system between the two, unless the figurines were more powerfull than normal pokemons, so that everyone would get an exentive to buy the things.

If Pokemon Z had the same kind of Pokemon as the other two versions and they evolved the same way it could still be fair.
Of course, adquiring Pokemon through NFC is just one solution. Instead of adquiring Pokemon, Nintendo could opt, for fairness sake, use NFC to make extra Gyms (that`s the word right?) or quests, etc.

If Nintendo decided to add more 150 Pokemon through cards or figurines, parents would go broke! :D

Yeah, but a "Z" owner would need to pay money to get reshiram for example, and the cards are ofcource random. An owner of x and y could just go onto the gts and trade a deoxys (like me, I got 6 of 'em :D)

I don`t know a lot about Pokemon so i don`t have a solution for that one! :D
That`s why i said cards or figurines aren`t the best idea as there are too many too collect. Still, NFC can be used for something smaller that could be added not only to the Z version, but also to the X and Y versions. Something like that.

DélioPT said:
IsawYoshi said:
DélioPT said:
IsawYoshi said:
DélioPT said:

In my mind Z would be a standalone game that could interact with the 3DS' games.
The buyable Pokemon would be a way to lure people into... wait for it... a Pokemon MMO! SHOCK! :D

Imagine you having a 3DS and Wii U and taking you X or Y Pokemon games online for some quests?

The more connectivity the better. But I would say that it would be terribbly unfair if there were som kind of battle system between the two, unless the figurines were more powerfull than normal pokemons, so that everyone would get an exentive to buy the things.

If Pokemon Z had the same kind of Pokemon as the other two versions and they evolved the same way it could still be fair.
Of course, adquiring Pokemon through NFC is just one solution. Instead of adquiring Pokemon, Nintendo could opt, for fairness sake, use NFC to make extra Gyms (that`s the word right?) or quests, etc.

If Nintendo decided to add more 150 Pokemon through cards or figurines, parents would go broke! :D

Yeah, but a "Z" owner would need to pay money to get reshiram for example, and the cards are ofcource random. An owner of x and y could just go onto the gts and trade a deoxys (like me, I got 6 of 'em :D)

That`s why i said cards or figurines aren`t the best idea as there are too many too collect. Still, NFC can be used for something smaller that could be added not only to the Z version, but also to the X and Y versions. Something like that.

But you don't need all of them. A slew should be more than fine. And I know that a kid want's that special pokemon, and that will drive the sales of the figurines. I know that the pokeballs they sell in stores here in norway comes in groups. So you can get 1 of a potential 8 or something. This way the customer will know that there is about 1/8 chance of getting the one they want (make sure to have on awesome pokemon per group), and they will think that they can live with those ods. If you got 1 random out of 700 or so pokemons I think that it would put of a lot of customers.

IsawYoshi said:
DélioPT said:
IsawYoshi said:

But you don't need all of them. A slew should be more than fine. And I know that a kid want's that special pokemon, and that will drive the sales of the figurines. I know that the pokeballs they sell in stores here in norway comes in groups. So you can get 1 of a potential 8 or something. This way the customer will know that there is about 1/8 chance of getting the one they want (make sure to have on awesome pokemon per group), and they will think that they can live with those ods. If you got 1 random out of 700 or so pokemons I think that it would put of a lot of customers.

But would people want just a few more Pokemon? People are used to hundreds of them new.

Around the Network

Actually I suspect Pokemon with NFC to be one of their "pull it out of a magic hat."

*Yes it will sell. no doubt about it.

DélioPT said:
IsawYoshi said:
DélioPT said:
IsawYoshi said:

But would people want just a few more Pokemon? People are used to hundreds of them new.

To me, at least, when I play pokemon, I find that many of them are new. I haven't used all of the 700, so if they only added 20 or so, where 5 of 'em looked cool, I would be in. A lot of people would by this game if it had like 10 pokemons unobtainable in any other games (also in the future).

IsawYoshi said:
DélioPT said:

To me, at least, when I play pokemon, I find that many of them are new. I haven't used all of the 700, so if they only added 20 or so, where 5 of 'em looked cool, I would be in. A lot of people would by this game if it had like 10 pokemons unobtainable in any other games (also in the future).

To Pokemon fans, those would be like rare ones. Yeah, if they only add a few of them it could be more appealing.
There`s a chance it will be Pokemon, but i wouldn`t mind seeing a new IP. Or... imagine if you had a racing game and the figurine/card would allow you too get more cars and tracks. A Mario kind of game where you could get more levels and characters.

DélioPT said:
IsawYoshi said:
DélioPT said:

To Pokemon fans, those would be like rare ones. Yeah, if they only add a few of them it could be more appealing.
There`s a chance it will be Pokemon, but i wouldn`t mind seeing a new IP. Or... imagine if you had a racing game and the figurine/card would allow you too get more cars and tracks. A Mario kind of game where you could get more levels and characters.

A new IP would be the best... from my view. If I sat in nintendos wallet on the other hand...

Actually, its better to buy the 6 pokemon you want rather then wait until a certain part of the game, or take the necessary steps to evolve it into the form you want.

When I played pokemon, Alakazam was my favorite pokemon, but I found that having to trade my kadabra was the most annoying step in the world.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.