By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Samsung Galaxy S4 to have 8 core processor, to be unveiled on March 14th?

yo_john117 said:
superchunk said:
yo_john117 said:
I'm sorry but 8 cores is absolutely unnecessary. I have the Galaxy SIII (the gimped US version with a dual core) and whilst it may be kind slow and laggy (which has more to do with the android OS then anything else) it is for the most part, just fine.

If you get an efficient OS (like windows 8) then 2-4 cores is all you should ever need.

Funny. Your GS3 is more powerful than my Galaxy Nexus. Yet my phone is anything but slow and laggy. Hint: its not android but the crap samsung adds.... buy Nexus.

Yeah you're probably right. It's not too bad; just kind of annoying. Especially since my last phone had a single core 1 GHz processor and a quarter of the ram that the SIII has and it was much smoother performance wise (not to mention all of the high end games I've played on both had about the same graphics).

So as far as I can tell an optomized dual core phone is all the power you would really ever need.

And 640k of ram is more than anyone will ever need... smartphones and tablets are quickly changing the computing and gaming landscape.

Around the Network
allenmaher said:
yo_john117 said:

Yeah you're probably right. It's not too bad; just kind of annoying. Especially since my last phone had a single core 1 GHz processor and a quarter of the ram that the SIII has and it was much smoother performance wise (not to mention all of the high end games I've played on both had about the same graphics).

So as far as I can tell an optomized dual core phone is all the power you would really ever need.

And 640k of ram is more than anyone will ever need... smartphones and tablets are quickly changing the computing and gaming landscape.

The argument isn't that a more powerful CPU wouldn't be useful, the argument is that more cores doesn't actually get you a more powerful CPU. It's rare that even desktop computers take full advantage of four cores, mobile devices simply don't multitask enough to leverage two more cores. You're better off jacking up the clock speed on two cores than adding more cores the device will rarely use, or using that transistor/power budget to improve other parts of the SoC.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

2 cores on an S3 is more than enough.

Snesboy said:

the S3 is quad core, the S2 was the one with 2 cores

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

steve jobs is turning over in his apple coffin right now lol

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
more powerfull than Wii U

thats not really hard to top CPU wise, any phone starting from two years ago can top it.

Turkish said:
superchunk said:
Turkish said:
Bullshit.

I'll be getting an Xperia Z with Dragontail glass because the S4 is gonna be made of cheap plastic.

lol

I always laugh at people who claimed this same bullshit with iPhone vs most android phones. Funny part is the "cheap plastic" actually is more durable than the glass. It nearly all cases of tests the Galaxy line was proven to whithstand more drops and other tests.

I'll stick to "cheap plastic" any day. Especially considering most people just wrap it in a case that is made of "cheap plastic".

Here's your durable plastic

Here's what Dragotrail glass is like

Phones are very fast enough for me, now I want the looks and durability.

You need to remove the shatterproof film though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyz_7-rTPm0

its  a screen protector sony puts on every Xperia, I haven't removed it yet, but it scratches very very easily, but never breaks the glass.

Woah how did I miss this thread...

Anyway, reading a few posts, I feel I have to reiterate whats been said already.

Yes, the GS4 will have an 8 core TOTAL CPU. However, its big.LITTLE so its 4+4 core CPU. This means only 4 cores will be usable at a time. 4 A15 cores for demanding applications, and 4 A7 cores for all else.

In this day and age, a phone should have at least 2 cores, and more preferably 4. (Which is exactly what this phone will do). ICS and Jellybean OS run on 2 cores. Your going to want more if you will want to run many applications at once, and ensure lag free multitasking.

For those shooting down the GS3, I'd get my phone checked. The GS3 is one of the most sophisticated and advanced Android phones out. Touchwiz on Jellybean 4.1 should not be slow and causing many bugs. (Personal experience on GS2 and GS3 with 4.1) As for the 2 cores, that is only the US variant, and its a Snapdragon S4 which superior to other 2 core phone's SoC's.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

the2real4mafol said:
Snesboy said:

the S3 is quad core, the S2 was the one with 2 cores

US S3 is dual core :(