By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Samsung Galaxy S4 to have 8 core processor, to be unveiled on March 14th?

That photo is FAKE. It's a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 in white. How do I know? Because I held my Silver Note 2 beside it and they're identical, from the size to the position of the two mini inner cameras to the right of the speaker...

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:
bananaking21 said:
this is crazy, why the hell would a phone need an 8 core CPU and GPU? to play angry birds? what the fuck is this nonsense! 4 cores is MORE than enough!

so it can properly emulate DS games

and angry birds, dont forget angry birds!!

Exia said:
What people don't want technology to advance????
Shocking!

people dont want anything useless. what the hell does a mobile phone need 8 cores for? your essentially going to be paying for something that you dont use

bananaking21 said:
Exia said:
What people don't want technology to advance????
Shocking!

people dont want anything useless. what the hell does a mobile phone need 8 cores for? your essentially going to be paying for something that you dont use

hey! I will use it for emulate Wii U ò.ó

Click HERE and be happy 

torok said:
The new Exynos isn't a 8-core processor exactly like you are thinking. It's one of the first new ARM processors using the BIG.little technology. NVidia did something similar with Tegra 3, that had 4 powerful cores and a fifth one with lower clock that was activated when idle to allow te phone/tablet to deactivate the quad-core component and go into a low power mode. But that isn't BIG.little, is just a simpler concept that can't achieve the same level of power saving.

In a BIG.little SoC (I will use Exynos as an example), you got 8 cores. 4 of them are the new Cortex-A15 powerful cores at higher clocks. The other 4 are weaker ARM cores woth lower clocks. The SoC (or the OS, depends on the implementation) can load balance between cores, always keepping only 4 cores running, in any combination between the high end ones or the low power cores. If you run a game optimized for dual cores, it will use 2 powerful ones and 2 weaker ones.

Of course, the weaker ones are basically as powerfull as the older Exynos on Galaxy S3 while the BIG cores are way faster. But in the end, it's a quad core processor that can choose between speed or low power in the go. It's about getting more power and more battery life at the same time and that is much more useful than a real 8-core phone.

And again for all the people posting about 8 cores being overkill and draining the battery.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Around the Network
wick said:
And again for all the people posting about 8 cores being overkill and draining the battery.

Yes, it's all tech to get a lot more power with the same, or maybe better, battery-life. This tech will be one of the big hits from ARM in the next few years. But Samsung is to blame here, they are trying to advertise it as an octa-core instead of explaining what it really is. But with time this will just get a lot more clear for everyone.

When Tegra 3 was launched, a lot of people said it was a 5-core processor, now you only see people calling it quad-core, which is the correct assumption. The same will eventually happen to Exynos. But I think that Sammy should advertise the truth, because it is much more interesting than the 8-core talk. Quad-core phones already are pretty fast, but battery-life is poor. I usually get 1 or 2 days from my devices. If someone creates a smartphone with a 4-core processor that gan give me at least 4 days, it's a day-one buy for me. Samsung have a nice solution and should simply advertise it for everyone since they will have the only BIG.little processor for a time, GS4 could even be the only phone with this tech in all 2013.

dahuman said:
Euphoria14 said:
dahuman said:
Euphoria14 said:

I have owned a Galaxy S (Captivate) and my fiance currently owns an S3. They ALWAYS end up running like crap and the battery life becomes bad. She has to plug it in multiple times a day.

I doubt we will be buying another Samsung after this one.

get an app that checks apps that run ads, if there are a lot running in the background then they will get slow no matter the phone and drain your battery

Only things she really ever does on her phone is use Facebook and play Family Feud.

even exchange time, my phone's battery lasts really long and I hell of a lot more on it lol, I think her phone is messed up.

I'm going to try and cycle her battery and see if that helps.

It was fine when we first got it. We bought it when it launched in the US.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

It don't need 8 cores when everything else runs fine on even 2 cores. iOS and WP8 run fine, but Android just goes far over the top, they should stick to quad cores at least. I expect battery life for the S IV to be shit, if it has so much processing power

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Good, price drops on the S3 then :) I know what I'm getting next.

scottie said:
Good, price drops on the S3 then :) I know what I'm getting next.

Pretty much this is what I was thinking. I've been running an S2 on a contract for two years which is going to run out on May time. So if this does get announced I can upgrade to the S3 hopefully for pretty cheap, maybe even half the price I paid for S2.

As for the oct core CPU and GPU, my S2 has been doing great for me. No lag, no networking problems or anything. So personally I don't see a reason to have an ocr core phone yet. A quad core would be overkill already for me.