By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Samsung Galaxy S4 to have 8 core processor, to be unveiled on March 14th?

What people don't want technology to advance????
Shocking!

Around the Network

If Apple doesn't make a 5-inch iPhone and this Galaxy S4 has good battery life, I'm jumping on board the Samsung train (have been iPhone only until now).

I do a lot on my phone so the added screen size is something I need.

Kynes said:
justinian said:
Kynes said:

I don't know why, I think you are a minority here thinking Samsung phones are made out of cheap plastic:

Rank . Brand . . . . 2012 units . . Share . . 2011 units . . Share . . 2010 units . . Share
1 (2) . Samsung . . 215.0 M . . . . 31.4% . . . 90.9 M . . . 18.7% . . . . 24.0 M . . . . 8.0%
2 (1) . Apple . . . . . 135.8 M . . . 19.8% . . . 93.1 M . . . 19.1% . . . . 47.5 M . . . . 15.9%
3 (8) . Huawei . . . . . 55.2 M . . . . 8.0% . . . 20.0 M . . . 4.1% . . . . . 5.0 M . . . . 1.5%
4 (3) . Nokia . . . . . . 35.0 M . . . . 5.1% . . . 77.3 M . . . 15.9% . . . 100.3 M . . . . 33.7%
5 (10) . ZTE . . . . . . 34.9 M . . . . 5.1% . . . 12.0 M . . . 2.5% . . . . .  3.5 M . . . . . 1.2%
6 (4) . RIM . . . . . . . 33.2 M . . . . 4.8% . . . 52.5 M . . . 10.8% . . . . 48.0 M . . . . 16.1%
7 (6) . Sony . . . . . . 31.9 M . . . . 4.6% . . . 26.8 M . . . 5.5% . . . . .  9.5 M . . . . 3.2%
8 (5) . HTC . . . . . . . 31.5 M . . . . 4.6% . . . 44.6 M . . . 9.2% . . . . 24.6 M . . . . 8.3%
9 (7) . LG . . . . . . . . 27.6 M . . . . 4.0% . . . 23.3 M . . . 4.8% . . . . . 7.0 M . . . . 2.4%
10 (-) . Lenovo . . . . 24.9 M . . . . 3.6% . . . . - - - . . . . . . . - -
Other . . . . . . . . . . . 61.7 M . . . . 8.9%
TOTAL . . . . . . . . . 686.7 M . . . . . . . . . 486.0 M . . . . . . . . . . . . 297.8 M

Oh, Sony has gone down on brand position and marketshare during the last year, and Samsung has outsold them almost 7:1.

According to the BBC today Sony is now in fourth place.  I suppose it's all down to which source you choose to believe.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/2/15/smartphone-wars-2012-finalized-top-10-facts2c-manufacturers2c-platforms2c-actual-users.aspx

Sony was fourth on the Jul-Sep quarter, sixth on the Oct-Dec quarter.

Tomi Ahonen is the guy who has provided the best predictions and analysis of the smartphone market for years.

What you said is true.

Euphoria14 said:
dahuman said:
Euphoria14 said:

I have owned a Galaxy S (Captivate) and my fiance currently owns an S3. They ALWAYS end up running like crap and the battery life becomes bad. She has to plug it in multiple times a day.

I doubt we will be buying another Samsung after this one.

get an app that checks apps that run ads, if there are a lot running in the background then they will get slow no matter the phone and drain your battery

Only things she really ever does on her phone is use Facebook and play Family Feud.

even exchange time, my phone's battery lasts really long and I hell of a lot more on it lol, I think her phone is messed up.

8 Cores? O_o
What for?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Marucha said:
dahuman said:
bananaking21 said:
EricFabian said:
bananaking21 said:
EricFabian said:
bananaking21 said:
this is crazy, why the hell would a phone need an 8 core CPU and GPU? to play angry birds? what the fuck is this nonsense! 4 cores is MORE than enough!

this. I still don't know why some sp have more than 2 cores

im planning on getting the xperia Z, but in a year or two once the price is really down. the only reason why is because i have a galaxy wonder. one core. and its terrible, the thing is SLOW. so im getting a 4 core mobile just because i got bit in the ass with a single core phone. 

I have a Lumia 920 and it is so f*cking good. I love it (until now). Xperia Z is really cheap in my city, but I don't want one

and now that you said, my brother has one single core sp and hell, it's soooooo slow.

to be fair also, samsung did a SHIT of a job on this phone. sometimes it literaly takes me 2-3 minutes to just make a phone call. really? i mean stop what im doing, close the app or broweser or what ever, open the dailer and call takes 2 or 3 minutes? plus the phone keeps lagging, software keeps fucking up. its not just my model, both my brothers have it and we all have the same problems. i will never, ever buy a samsung phone again. ill go back to sony. 

s3 here, works great :P don't know much about wonder but perhapes it's time to go custom firmware? xda-devs is your friend.

Although I am for the notion that we should write custom firmware on our phones when possible (too many opportunities for easy upgrades/fantastic tweaks to choose from), it shouldn't be the norm "Oh, that phone sucks? Time to CFW". The average customer should be able to pick up a phone and have a fantastic experience with it out of the box. That's part of what turns some people away from Google Android to iPhone.

As for SGS3, I have one too and it's very very zippy. It's one of the most responsive, power efficient (good battery for a smartphone), and convenient phones I've ever used... I don't use the standard keyboard, I use some Japanese/English mix one, and it works very well... I text so quickly with it and I put it back in my pocket when I'm done. Dialer is fast, and it has caller ID (the kind on a standard phone), Thank God... I didn't expect anything that great, but God am I glad I left HTC for this. HTCs don't have much going for them in the way of battery life these days...  which is a big deal for me.

The touch is just so responsive... honestly, I'd be happy keeping this more than 2 years. I was happy with the phone I had before (almost didn't upgrade), but this one just feels so good in my hands and doesn't fight with me and I'm trying to respond to someone quickly. I really hated that with my other phone. The screen was only a little smaller, but it didn't chirp along with the text input as this one. It just feels so good to use in general. The only thing that kinda annoys me sometimes when I am out walking my dog/exercise, is the touch keys... I have to hope I don't drop it when I pull it out to change songs or check my distance.

I have been all Samsung lately. Not really on purpose either. I've purchased two tablets from them in the past 7 months and now we have two Samsung phones (my husband has the Note II) to add to the list. I hate the way you have to use Kies to sync everything to the computer, but I do like that I can sync over Wifi and get my text messages at my computer and response without getting up... if it infringes on my time to get up and check for my phone, then I generally won't answer back at all.

Talking about older phones that don't get much support anymore hehe, Motorola lied about the Atrix 4G and supposedly ICS is in testing just now which is ridiculous, I called ATT to unlock it then went Jellybean CFW on it last year already so my brother can use his T-mobile with it, and I'll get him back to officialy ICS if it's stable since the official gingerbread on the Atrix 4G was the most unstable shit I've ever used from any phone company lol, it's kinda sad when a CFW runs that much more stable than an official one.

Soleron said:
Kynes said:

Isn't it big.LITTLE? 4 A15 and 4 A7 cores non-concurrent isn't 8 a 8 core chip, the same that Tegra3 isn't a concurrent 5 core chip.

Correct.

IT'S NOT EIGHT CORES.

It's four cores that can be switched to low-power versions of the core when not under load. It's still more powerful at peak than previous phone chips but it can't use eight cores simultaneously.

Right. I've seen big.LITTLE promoted as moar coars like this somewhere before.

Still, they'd likely see better real world results using the big.LITTLE spec with two powerful cores instead of four.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:

Right. I've seen big.LITTLE promoted as moar coars like this somewhere before.

Still, they'd likely see better real world results using the big.LITTLE spec with two powerful cores instead of four.

The problem is going to be making the OS and programs take full advantage. Cool hardware features have been tried MANY times before, software (e.g. Windows scheduler) killed all of them.

Kynes said:

Tomi Ahonen is the guy who has provided the best predictions and analysis of the smartphone market for years.

Maybe but BSN is a terrible website. I don't believe Theo understands anything.

Soleron said:
Kynes said:

Maybe but BSN is a terrible website. I don't believe Theo understands anything.

But smartphone articles aren't written by Theo ;)