By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Silliest things you've heard from game store employees

I tend to buy games from online so I don't have to deal with the idiots at Game Stop or EB Games, and Personally knowing people that have worked there has made me despise the workers in those stores just knowing that most of them don't even know what games are exclusives for the systems just shows how much they actually know about gaming.

Around the Network
gergroy said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I reserved a copy of FFXIII for PS3 in gamestop.

On the night of the midnight launch when I went to pick it up they gave me the 360 version...
I was like. "I reserved the PS3 version." And they replied. "No you didn't."
The guy must of purposely put in the 360 version in the computer.. Anyways I get to exchange it for the PS3 version.

... or, he just accidently put in the 360 version...

So the gamestop rep accidentally  put in 360 when he confirmed verbally the exact version I wanted on the day I reserved? possible

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Porcupine_I said:
Launch day of Uncharted 2, i'm the first customer in the shop, the employee behind the counter, a large stack on Uncharted 2 copies in front of him, apparently the shipment they had received but not yet put away.

Me: "Unchated 2 please"

Employee: "did you have it preordered?"

Me: "no"

Employee: "Oh my, you should have it preordered"

Me: "why?" pointing at the stack in front of him "are they all already sold"

Employee "no"

Me: "then i buy one of them now"

Empolyee: "well... ok, but next time preorder"

I get those all the time. Target didn't carry Demons Souls so I went to gamestop and got that. In my case however they always "need to check if they have any extra" and "lukily we got one for you."

As for the dumbest thing I heard, at Target I had a family asking the differences between Ps3 and 360. I told them that I would look at the exclusive games each has to offer and decide which ones best suit their needs. I showed them the games that you could only get on one or the other. I answered their questions honestly and the only question I really remember was if they could play online and I told them both had that function but you needed to pay a fee for the 360 unlike the Ps3. They didn't have anymore questions so I walked away. I never said which one they should or shouldn't get. 5 minutes later I see a co-worker talking to them. This co-worker was an older lady who had no clue about ANY electronics. She was just working back there to push the target card on people. What do I hear come out of her mouth "You should get the 360 because everyone is buying it." I wanted to say "that makes no fucking sense that you are pushing a system on a family because other people" they walked out with the 360.

I finally had to register to reply to this. I've heard a lot of stupid crap from game store employees, but at the moment I recall a time when I was looking to buy some controllers for my Gamecube. The guy at Gamestop told me that third-party controllers had something like a 10% chance of "burning out" the controller port, the result of which being that only that particular controller would work in that port forever.

Dear lord, it's so sad that people that stupid are allowed to poison the minds of gullible kids everywhere...

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

DerpSandwich said:
I finally had to register to reply to this.

Welcome! =D ^^

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
Porcupine_I said:
Launch day of Uncharted 2, i'm the first customer in the shop, the employee behind the counter, a large stack on Uncharted 2 copies in front of him, apparently the shipment they had received but not yet put away.

Me: "Unchated 2 please"

Employee: "did you have it preordered?"

Me: "no"

Employee: "Oh my, you should have it preordered"

Me: "why?" pointing at the stack in front of him "are they all already sold"

Employee "no"

Me: "then i buy one of them now"

Empolyee: "well... ok, but next time preorder"

I get those all the time. Target didn't carry Demons Souls so I went to gamestop and got that. In my case however they always "need to check if they have any extra" and "lukily we got one for you."

As for the dumbest thing I heard, at Target I had a family asking the differences between Ps3 and 360. I told them that I would look at the exclusive games each has to offer and decide which ones best suit their needs. I showed them the games that you could only get on one or the other. I answered their questions honestly and the only question I really remember was if they could play online and I told them both had that function but you needed to pay a fee for the 360 unlike the Ps3. They didn't have anymore questions so I walked away. I never said which one they should or shouldn't get. 5 minutes later I see a co-worker talking to them. This co-worker was an older lady who had no clue about ANY electronics. She was just working back there to push the target card on people. What do I hear come out of her mouth "You should get the 360 because everyone is buying it." I wanted to say "that makes no fucking sense that you are pushing a system on a family because other people" they walked out with the 360.

Lol, they probably thought "the older the wiser"... NOT!

My all time favorite was when I went to buy a PS2 the employee told me to not bother as the PS9 was coming out next year

Now, there was an ad for the mythical PS9, but stunned me a game employee took it seriously.

I overheard a salesman at EB games trying to explain the Wii U to a customer and didn't even know the difference between the Wii U basic and premium pack.

I think my story takes the cake:

Harvey Norman, circa 2000

After waiting about 2 months past the release date for Final Fantasy VIII for the PC, I told one of the casual staff wandering around the store what's going on. He said he'd be right back, and got his manager, who uttered some of the dumbest stuff I've ever heard....

Manager: I'm sorry sir, but they have decided not to release Final Fantasy VIII PC in Australia.
Me: Oh well, looks like I'll have to get it imported from America.
Manager: I'm afraid you can't do that. You see, American games wont work on Australian PCs...
Me: What are you talking about? Of course they can.
Manager: No, you're wrong. We have PAL PCs here. They have NTSC PCs over there.
Me: WHAT THE HELL DO TV STANDARDS HAVE TO DO WITH PCs?!
Manager: Well I sell them for a living, so I know what I'm talking about.
Me: Well I program them for a living, so I know you're full of shit.

With that, I walked out. It's incredible the amount of shit a MANAGER spews, one that's supposed to sell these things to customers...

Oh, and I went to another store 10 minutes down the road and found the game on shelf. I haven't bought any computer related stuff from Harvey Norman ever since...

Well i remember this guy in a store where i went to buy a Xbox 360 Vga cable around launch. The guy was convinced the cable was only compatible with one or two ''special'' Sony tv's...