By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Silliest things you've heard from game store employees

Hmm, I try not to talk too much to game store employees, especially if the look like they're a lot younger than me.

"Great pick! Mass Effect 2 is the best game Bioware has ever made!" kind of stands out, got that one when I was buying some bargain bin PC games (also got Spore and Sacred 2).

"This thing is just gonna fly off the shelves when it comes." A salesman's anticipation of the PS3's first year on the market.

"You should get the sequel, its a lot better." when I bought Civilization IV complete (rebought), same dude that thought that ME2 is Bioware's best title ever. This man is bright beyond words.

"Yeah, this is my favourite Final Fantasy!" when I had the misfortune of purchasing FFXIII at a local store, this girl sure isn't getting a christmas card from me.

"Why don't you buy the DVD's in stead? They're a lot cheaper." some random girl at a massive electronics store close by where I picked up Green Zone and two other movies from the bargain bin, not a game store but they sell games and this one is too good not to share.

"Yeah, that's a decent game but I value gameplay over graphics." When I bought Gothic 3 Gold at the same Gamestop where the idiot works, this was another dude. Why is the quote funny? Because he stated two minutes later that his favourite game is Crysis...

"Hmm, are these games any good?" same Gamestop as before, same idiot as before upon seeing me pick up Icewind Dale I and II box. He claims to be the biggest RPG fan in the world but has never heard of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Torment, Gothic, Neverwinter Nights or anything else released before 2008. Is he 18 years old you ask? No, he's older than me.

One redeeming one from that Gamestop score, when I picked up Valkyria Chronicles, a young girl was working the register; "That game is mindblowing, its really, really unique and fun!"
One not so good anecdote to follow that purchase; the game cost 70% more secondhand than the average retail price for a new copy (but I couldn't find the game anywhere in the entire city).

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
DanneSandin said:
darkknightkryta said:
DanneSandin said:
Da hell is it with employees trying to push the 360?! I've seen quite a few people here having faced the same problem. What gives?!

MIcrosoft's fud campaign that happened when the PS3 came out.  They're lucky Sony's marketing was terrible at the time.  This fud campaign most likely still happens.

Yeah, you're probably right - still silly though :P

or more logical.. the stores have better margin with the 360 then the ps3..  if I  get 5 bucks more when selling a 360 then a PS3 I sure would push the 360.. I wouldn't care which console I prefered..

except that there isn't a margin difference.  At least there wasn't when I worked at best buy 3 years ago.  360 just has a bigger install base in America and is the main console for most people.  People that sell games usually push what they know best, which in America it is the 360.  There isn't some grand conspiracy about profit margins.

deskpro2k3 said:

I reserved a copy of FFXIII for PS3 in gamestop.

On the night of the midnight launch when I went to pick it up they gave me the 360 version...
I was like. "I reserved the PS3 version." And they replied. "No you didn't."
The guy must of purposely put in the 360 version in the computer.. Anyways I get to exchange it for the PS3 version.

... or, he just accidently put in the 360 version...

Mummelmann said:
Hmm, I try not to talk too much to game store employees, especially if the look like they're a lot younger than me.

"Great pick! Mass Effect 2 is the best game Bioware has ever made!" kind of stands out, got that one when I was buying some bargain bin PC games (also got Spore and Sacred 2).

"This thing is just gonna fly off the shelves when it comes." A salesman's anticipation of the PS3's first year on the market.

"You should get the sequel, its a lot better." when I bought Civilization IV complete (rebought), same dude that thought that ME2 is Bioware's best title ever. This man is bright beyond words.

"Yeah, this is my favourite Final Fantasy!" when I had the misfortune of purchasing FFXIII at a local store, this girl sure isn't getting a christmas card from me.

"Why don't you buy the DVD's in stead? They're a lot cheaper." some random girl at a massive electronics store close by where I picked up Green Zone and two other movies from the bargain bin, not a game store but they sell games and this one is too good not to share.

"Yeah, that's a decent game but I value gameplay over graphics." When I bought Gothic 3 Gold at the same Gamestop where the idiot works, this was another dude. Why is the quote funny? Because he stated two minutes later that his favourite game is Crysis...

"Hmm, are these games any good?" same Gamestop as before, same idiot as before upon seeing me pick up Icewind Dale I and II box. He claims to be the biggest RPG fan in the world but has never heard of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Torment, Gothic, Neverwinter Nights or anything else released before 2008. Is he 18 years old you ask? No, he's older than me.

One redeeming one from that Gamestop score, when I picked up Valkyria Chronicles, a young girl was working the register; "That game is mindblowing, its really, really unique and fun!"
One not so good anecdote to follow that purchase; the game cost 70% more secondhand than the average retail price for a new copy (but I couldn't find the game anywhere in the entire city).

I actually agree that mass effect 2 is Bioware's best game...

When I bought MGS4, one of the store's empoyees spoke wonders about the game, and then said he played it on PC...

Around the Network

Some old woman tried to explain to me what an "LCD" code is...

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

"Don't get Metroid: Other M, it's too hard."
jk (but a Gamestop employee did say that)

gergroy said:
Mummelmann said:

I actually agree that mass effect 2 is Bioware's best game...

I disagree massively (pun intended), but you're still okay!

An employee at GameStop Germany actually told me the PS3 slim would be backwards compatible...

Another time an employee blatantly lied about the costs of XBL gold when a customer was interested in a Xbox360. Sadly I couldn't intervene as I was arguing with another employee over the price of Skyward Sword (60€ at GameStop on release!!!)...I ended up getting it from Amazon for 40€.

I actually got a pretty nice guy at our local Gamestop