By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamasutra: At 57K sold, Wii U's January performance is historically abysmal

superchunk said:
Price and features are fine. It just needs software.

3rd party next-gen games are being suppressed as those other consoles are not confirmed... lack of any games in jan/feb.... summer will start to heat up as games arrive plus I'm sure Nintendo will be aggressive with bundling just like the current ZombiU bundle in NA.

Unlike 3DS, price and features are fine. Just needs software.

I actually don't think the "features" of the console are fine. Most people have a PS3/360, why get a Wii U? What does it really offer that's so different?

People want a real upgrade from this generation, not another PS3-360 range console.

Games will help of course, but I think this will be like the GameCube ... Mario/Mario Kart/Zelda can only do so much. Nintendo maybe should (gasp!) try making a new core franchise to sell hardware to a new audience rather than relying on the same 4-5 franchises over and over and over and over again.

Around the Network

It will pick up beginning late March and should continue to do decent throughout 2013. Don't see how anyone is surprised by this, half its launch was delayed lol. Should build roughly a 6 million unit lead on the others. Similar to the 360s headstart or was 360s headstart bigger? I wonder if it will take PS4/720 six years to catch WiiU?

I wonder if Soundwave ever gets tired of watching Ninty threads? Same 4-5 franchises? Makes it hard to take him serious.

I think the truth is the Wii was just a fluke, which was a huge hit riding the back of the Wiimote/motion gaming that no one had really seen back then. It was the exception, not the rule.

Wii U is just a return to the norm for Nintendo which has seen their console relevance erode every generation from the SNES-N64-GameCube. The casual game bubble burst with the flood of iOS/Android/Kinect stuff being everywhere, it's no longer unique. So Nintendo is just coming back to where they were headed in the GameCube days.

When you have no new games, it's tough to sell new consoles. Sales like this seem surprising until you look at the releases (or lack of them), then suddenly they start to make sense. And sales are going to be just as bad if not worse next month, especially not the only major release, Rayman, was foolishly pushed back by Ubisoft, to release simultaneously with the PS360 version, even though most of those gamers aren't going to care about that game anyway.

We won't start to see Wii U pick up until mid March when we get Lego City Stories, Monster Hunter, and later Wii Fit and Game and Wario. But even then, sales won't even get to the "decent" level until they release Yoshi, 3D Mario, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart. Nintendo simply needs more games, and if they cannot provide them, a price drop is in order, as that should at least temporarily boost sales.

Around the Network

Soundwave said:

I actually don't think the "features" of the console are fine. Most people have a PS3/360, why get a Wii U? What does it really offer that's so different?

People want a real upgrade from this generation, not another PS3-360 range console.

Games will help of course, but I think this will be like the GameCube ... Mario/Mario Kart/Zelda can only do so much. Nintendo maybe should (gasp!) try making a new core franchise to sell hardware to a new audience rather than relying on the same 4-5 franchises over and over and over and over again.

I agree with this post... I think only hardcore Wii users are buying Wii U... not the casuals and not the PS360 owners.

Selling worse than the PS3 was selling at 600 dollars 6 years later (600 dollars was worth more money back then).

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

What they're trying to say is, WiiU's d0med.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

ethomaz said:

The bad: 57k in a 5 weeks month in NPD is historical
The good: Wii U sales are in line with PS3/360 after 3 months

The difference is, the 360's numbers were due to shortages and PS3s cost. You couldn't GET a 360 by walking into a store three months in. The Wii-U's numbers are due to low demand, nothing else.

Soundwave said:

I think the truth is the Wii was just a fluke, which was a huge hit riding the back of the Wiimote/motion gaming that no one had really seen back then. It was the exception, not the rule.

Wii U is just a return to the norm for Nintendo which has seen their console relevance erode every generation from the SNES-N64-GameCube. The casual game bubble burst with the flood of iOS/Android/Kinect stuff being everywhere, it's no longer unique. So Nintendo is just coming back to where they were headed in the GameCube days.

Exactly, the casuals were never committed to the Wii as Nintendo doesn't have a ecosystem like iOS or Android, they're losing the casuals they gained. With no casuals left and hardcore gamers not happy with the system specswise, the system will mainly be bought by loyal Nintendo fans.