By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamasutra: At 57K sold, Wii U's January performance is historically abysmal

Max King of the Wild said:
pezus said:
Refreshingly detailed article, with charts that are not often seen. WiiU will start falling more and more behind PS360 as the months go by.

Let's not forget that this is only in USA. The situation is even worse in Europe...

Yup, it's panic time for Nintendo. People seem to believe a price drop will turn the tides for Nintendo. Though I think it will help somewhat I don't think it will have near the effect it had with the Ps3 being that the Wii U isn't all too expensive. The longer Nintendo aallows sales to drag on the harder it will be to turn it around. They need to do something fast. I hope the Wii U gets past it's struggles.

Funny thing though is I think Nintendo will lose the most ground this generation but the people who wouldn't shut up about the ps3 will be silent this time around

It's a vicious circle. This always happens at launch.

Nintendo fans doomed PS3, celebrated Wii success. PS fans quiet

Sony fans doomed 3DS, celebrated PS3 success. Nintendo fans quiet, await the PSV

Nintendo fans doomed Vita, celebrated 3DS success. Sony fans quiet, await the Wii U

Sony fans doomed Wii U, celebrated...Vita success (?). Nintendo fans quiet, await the PS4

I'll allow you to fill in the gaps. History repeats itself over and over, and I can assure you that, in a year's time, the tide will be turned regardless of the figures for either console. The worst thing is, though, that with every successive cycle of the above system, the hate becomes worse and worse, with more and more people creating doom threads, posts etc. as some sort of "revenge" for whatever reason. This obviously only comes round to hurt the other parties in the future, but even worse. And so the cycle spins further and further out of control.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
RazorDragon said:
Vita and Wonderswan did worse.

lol

How do you know how bad Wii U is doing? When you compare it to Vita.

Sorry but better than Vita is nothing.

superchunk said:

Are you talking about features or pretty graphics?

Wii U has every feature of any other console plus the added benefits of the gamepad where applicable.

Has - equal or better than any competitor
free online
quality web browser - easily best on console
social networking - system unique plus normal web variants
modern digital store
simple ID structure - will be shareable across devices soon
large storage options - far more and cheaper choices
VOIP - far more choices
HD
online TV services - can be viewing while loading up next one
background downloading - doesn't pause when in game/online
core and simplified controls

Exclusive
off tv play
tv / cable / DVR control
video service integrated social network
default background downloading - keeps DLing while in game or online too

Missing
optical out audio - most won't care
media disc playback - most won't care
default capability to connect to pc media - can be handled via web and setting pc as server
voice controls - nearly all won't care

It has the features. Just not the software. After all, why do so many people own a X360 and a PS3? software.

But PS360 have all these features and more... The Wii U needs more features than PS360 and not equal... consumers needs a next-gen console.

prayformojo said:
Metallicube said:

When you have no new games, it's tough to sell new consoles. Sales like this seem surprising until you look at the releases (or lack of them), then suddenly they start to make sense. And sales are going to be just as bad if not worse next month, especially not the only major release, Rayman, was foolishly pushed back by Ubisoft, to release simultaneously with the PS360 version, even though most of those gamers aren't going to care about that game anyway.

We won't start to see Wii U pick up until mid March when we get Lego City Stories, Monster Hunter, and later Wii Fit and Game and Wario. But even then, sales won't even get to the "decent" level until they release Yoshi, 3D Mario, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart. Nintendo simply needs more games, and if they cannot provide them, a price drop is in order, as that should at least temporarily boost sales.

The PS2 was sold out EVERYWHERE, and had an historically long drought software wise it's first year on the market. It has little to do with software and more to do with bad strategy. Nintendo completely screwed up from top to bottom and this is the result.

But th ps2 promised the next generation of all the worlds favourite franchises back then. GTA3, FFX, MGS, Tekken, crash Bandicoot, sypro, GT... literally everything that was wasn't a 1st part nintendo title. Not only that but the technology was very impressive+ it featured DVD playback. 

The Wii U doesn't compare as favourably, alongside people still being very content with their curren systems with games like GTA V, Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider, Bioshock and may more all  being released on the HD twins and not the Wii U. Why pick up the Wii U now, when your current system at home features more games for you to get excited about. PS2 had no such competition, both the n64 and Dreamcast were virtually dead on its arrival.

ethomaz said:

superchunk said:

Wii U has every feature of any other console plus the added benefits of the gamepad where applicable.

free online
modern digital store
VOIP - far more choices
HD

Exclusive
off tv play
tv / cable / DVR control

Missing
default capability to connect to pc media - can be handled via web and setting pc as server

It has the features. Just not the software. After all, why do so many people own a X360 and a PS3? software.

But PS360 have all these features and more... The Wii U needs more features than PS360 and not equal... consumers needs a next-gen console.

I listed four things they do not have as well as noted some where WiiU is clearly better.

All it needs is the software ... i.e. exclusive software or upgraded software for those with PS360s. It has the features and price point.

Around the Network

Conegamer said:

It's a vicious circle. This always happens at launch.

Nintendo fans doomed PS3, celebrated Wii success. PS fans quiet

Sony fans doomed 3DS, celebrated PS3 success. Nintendo fans quiet, await the PSV

Nintendo fans doomed Vita, celebrated 3DS success. Sony fans quiet, await the Wii U

Sony fans doomed Wii U, celebrated...Vita success (?). Nintendo fans quiet, await the PS4

Please... can you read the last sentence again because I didn't understand.

We (sony fans) celebrated ? success? lol lol lol

PS. I just kidding.

superchunk said:

I listed four things they do not have as well as noted some where WiiU is clearly better.

All it needs is the software ... i.e. exclusive software or upgraded software for those with PS360s. It has the features and price point.

Don't you think fours is little? I undertand your list... there things better implemented in Wii U but there are things that are worst yet... overall all these features you can find in PS360 (paid or not)... and the PS360 have a lot of others exclusives features.

Wii U is giving nothing new... think like the PS4 and Nextbox will give you a Share video feature to record and upload while you play the game... that's a amazing feature that next-gen needs.

What Wii U gave to us that PS360 didn't give? So little.

superchunk said:
Soundwave said:

I actually don't think the "features" of the console are fine. Most people have a PS3/360, why get a Wii U? What does it really offer that's so different?

People want a real upgrade from this generation, not another PS3-360 range console.

Games will help of course, but I think this will be like the GameCube ... Mario/Mario Kart/Zelda can only do so much. Nintendo maybe should (gasp!) try making a new core franchise to sell hardware to a new audience rather than relying on the same 4-5 franchises over and over and over and over again.

free online
modern digital store
VOIP - far more choices
HD

Exclusive
off tv play
tv / cable / DVR control

Missing

The features only seem to be there, but they really aren't. The online is worse than PSN or Live, there are no existing communities, which will be a huge factor for gamers to stick to their current platforms of choice. It's a no-brainer for MS and Sony to give some kind of perks for people transferring to their new consoles from the current ones, plus people will want to keep their friends lists, etc. This is the main reason why Wii U doesn't stand a chance at winning the next gen. Nintendo will be suffering from all the mistakes it made with the Wii, when it decided to keep it that strongly set in previous gen reality (Friendcodes anyone?).

The store is fine, but why should I care about it, when I have no disc? Buy one? I can, but that's already a hustle, additional cost and looks awful next to the TV. The TV services? Available only in US, so I couldn't care less. They may be fun, but I'll never know about them.

Off TV is awesome, I'm going to give Wii U that. Very often I can't play my PS3 cause somebody is occupying the TV, so this is something for me, but... I already have a Vita, so I get my fix there.

Other stuff really isn't something that will be any kind of a factor when you think about buying a console.

The price - I think it's way too high. The console is just slightly more powerful than PS3! And it has no hard disc. I will buy the Wii U without a doubt, as I've spent wonderful time playing Nintendo games on my Wii, but there is no way I'm going to pay this kind of money for this console. Depending on the games it gets the next 2-3 years, I'm going to wait until it reaches $200 or even $150. Cause that's what the console is worth to me.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:

I agree with your comments but I little off now about your sig lol... the GCN2 is not even released (delayed to 2014)... the Wii U GPU is old neither GCN1.

Turkish said:
February will be a lot worse, 4 week month with no notable software release.

Agreed.

Also stop defiling  Australian women in your Avatar. it is offensive putting that head on such a national icon.