By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamasutra: At 57K sold, Wii U's January performance is historically abysmal

Yeah PS3/360 launch aligned will almost certainly pull ahead from the Wii U next month.

PS3's first January trounced the Wii U even at $500/$600.

Wii U is also officially I believe the slowest selling Nintendo console in North America from launch in modern history, slower than the Wii, GameCube, and N64 for sure.

Still has not hit 1 million sold even through 3 months of sales.

Around the Network

Its nintendo's own fault. Like the 3DS, once the price drops people will jump on it. Games have something to do with it, sure, but people have a perceived value for Nintendo.....everyone chirps about graphical prowess, and if "there isn't much difference with PS360 visually", then consumers will scoff at $299-350. The cost of the controller, is all on Nintendo, they want to make something unique, great, but IT CANNOT come at the expense of graphical prowess. That's why only Nintendo fans (like myself) are buying Wii U, not casual or many 'hardcore" gamers. Get rid of the basic bundle, drop the price of deluxe with nintendoland preinstalled for $299, would help a relaunch. But honestly, $250 seems like the sweet spot if they want to beat the next MSony consoles.

Have you guys tried Wii street U? Amazing.

I tried it last night.  I was pleantly surprised.  It's pretty easy to navigate.  I took a tour of my childhood neighborhood which was cool and played around in the White House for a few minutes.

My initial thoughts when they announced it were "why the hell would I want that on a console".  It's a cool feature - not sure it will help sell WiiUs and if it detracted from other projects that may not have been the best move.

My kids and their friends were around and they thought it was pretty interesting but not so much so that they asked to try it or anything.

Good article. I don't see any bias here.

I wonder how Nintendo will handle the Wii U. A price cut is out of the question so all it needs is great games. We know Nintendo can deliver on that. The real question is if consumers will bite when there will be PS4s and Xbox 720s out there....hmmm.

Around the Network

I don't think this article is even close on tie ratio.   As of the quarterly report the tie ratio from Nintendo was 3.82.  That number comes from Nintedos reported 3.08 million consoles and 11.69 pieces of software sold so presumably includes sales to distributors.  

However even if you assume he's talking retail tie ratio, there is no way there is that much product on shelves of retailers to change the tie ratio all the way down to 2.0 as Patcher states.  That would imply that for the 2.5 million or so consoles sold at retail there are 5 million pieces of software sold leaving 6.69 million in retailers/distributors inventory.   No way in hell.  I think that guy needs to take some math classes or find a new job.

Long article only read half, but looking at the first graph it looks to be common in Nintendo consoles.

think-man said:
Long article only read half, but looking at the first graph it looks to be common in Nintendo consoles.

After 60 months... the graphs shows the Nintendo consoles reach the ~11k per week at the end of life... not the in three months.

Price and features are fine. It just needs software.

3rd party next-gen games are being suppressed as those other consoles are not confirmed... lack of any games in jan/feb.... summer will start to heat up as games arrive plus I'm sure Nintendo will be aggressive with bundling just like the current ZombiU bundle in NA.

Unlike 3DS, price and features are fine. Just needs software.

It's clear Nintendo's consigned the device for crappy sales through the end of the fiscal year.

I've always hated Gamasutra...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.