By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 dominates 2012 sales in australia

walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
Nintendo either got lucky that casuals bought into the Wii hype or were smart enough to purposely target them. In any case, that won't stop them finish 2nd this gen.

When is this gen finished? But even if PS3 overtakes Wii at any time the new gen starts this year and Wii will always be considered as the leader of this gen.

This gen isn't finished for the PS3 - it is for the Wii. And the Wii might be considered the leader of the gen for the better part of this gen but definitely not the winner. Once the PS3 is within an arm's length from the Wii's LTD, do you really think people won't take notice and the news won't be reported?

Around the Network
Horrorfest said:
It's not though. Even in the generation before Nintendo got smashed by Sony. The Nintendo 64 didn't do much better. Gamecube sold what 25 million? The N64 was around 32 million. Not to mention all the reasons for the comeback and other factors. Yes, Wii won the generation but it had horrible software sales besides their big Nintendo franchise games. I look at it all around. Not only has the PS3 made a come back in sales but in everything.

The problem with Nintendo is that they dominate the software-sales of their system, right. That's why 3rd-party-support is really bad and not comparable to PS360. I always said that Nintendo is their own competitor - look at 3ds. Sane persons would say that of course Vita is the better system but 3ds is way more successful. Look at Wii - I played it at partys and it was ok but I didn't buy it because the sp-games didn't really appeal to me. Nonetheless it outsold PS360 easily when it was hot.

Saying that PS3 is the biggest comeback is a bit too much for me. It just had a slow start but I don't see that it was horrible at start and then went like a rocket. They steadily increased sales and now it is down YoY like every other system after so much years. It never had the peak when it was hot like Wii, thus Wii is at 99 million when PS3 is at ~73 million.

Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
Nintendo either got lucky that casuals bought into the Wii hype or were smart enough to purposely target them. In any case, that won't stop them finish 2nd this gen.

When is this gen finished? But even if PS3 overtakes Wii at any time the new gen starts this year and Wii will always be considered as the leader of this gen.

This gen isn't finished for the PS3 - it is for the Wii. And the Wii might be considered the leader of the gen for the better part of this gen but definitely not the winner. Once the PS3 is within an arm's length from the Wii's LTD, do you really think people won't take notice and the news won't be reported?

I see you are new here - the point when a gen is over and who is winner and when was discussed in soooo many threads. I don't want to argue about this anymore. And in several threads there were enough data to hint that PS3 will hardly reach 100 million units sold ever, even if Sony sells it in every corner of the world and for 5 more years. The PS3 is already down YoY and with the beginning of the new gen officially this year it will get worse next years. But we won't argue here anymore, only time will tell who will be the winner...

walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:

I see you are new here - the point when a gen is over and who is winner and when was discussed in soooo many threads. I don't want to argue about this anymore. And in several threads there were enough data to hint that PS3 will hardly reach 100 million units sold ever, even if Sony sells it in every corner of the world and for 5 more years. The PS3 is already down YoY and with the beginning of the new gen officially this year it will get worse next years. But we won't argue here anymore, only time will tell who will be the winner...

There's enough data to hint that the PS3 will reach 100M. Here are my reasons why:

1. The PS3 is still expensive and is out of reach for most consumers in the emerging markets.

2. The PS3's 2013 lineup is great with multiple multi-million sellers coming up.

3. Historically, PS consoles have sold well, well after their successor have been released.

So, excuse me if I think that you have no real argument against the PS3 reaching 100M. Also, I don't think the PS3 is down YoY by a lot compared to the 360 or Wii.

Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:

There's enough data to hint that the PS3 will reach 100M. Here are my reasons why:

1. The PS3 is still expensive and is out of reach for most consumers in the emerging markets.

2. The PS3's 2013 lineup is great with multiple multi-million sellers coming up.

3. Historically, PS consoles have sold well, well after their successor have been released.

So, excuse me if I think that you have no real argument against the PS3 reaching 100M. Also, I don't think the PS3 is down YoY by a lot compared to the 360 or Wii.

Again, search the forums for the other threads, this is not the topic of this thread. You keep your opinion, I keep mine and only time will tell.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:

Again, search the forums for the other threads, this is not the topic of this thread. You keep your opinion, I keep mine and only time will tell.

Can't find any.

walsufnir said:
Horrorfest said:
Biggest comeback in video game history.

Yes, I never expected a comeback Nintendo had with Wii after the Gamecube-disaster!

But really it's not hard to see why the ps3 has had such a massive turn around in Australia, $250 price drop in the last 2 years.

I guess Horrorfest was referring to PS3 in general. But I am wondering how Halo4 can get 3rd for 2012 given that PS3 "dominates" in AU and given that the game released in November... Perhaps not so dominating? (especially actual numbers are still missing in this thread)

walsufnir said:
I guess Horrorfest was referring to PS3 in general. But I am wondering how Halo4 can get 3rd for 2012 given that PS3 "dominates" in AU and given that the game released in November... Perhaps not so dominating? (especially actual numbers are still missing in this thread)

Because Xbox was doing great a few years ago. Its not like software sales are limited to the people who bought consoles this year. There are plenty of Xbox owners in AU. In fact it was ahead of the PS3 for at least 4 years.

cheese_man said:
walsufnir said:

Because Xbox was doing great a few years ago. Its not like software sales are limited to the people who bought consoles this year. There are plenty of Xbox owners in AU. In fact it was ahead of the PS3 for at least 4 years.

How do you know? Are there any numbers that proof this?