By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - iOS Products - Is Apple going the way of Blackberry?

Apple are not innovators; they are excellent salesmen and streamliners. Jobs was not a genius, he was a fantastic salesman and mascot.

Around the Network
RVDondaPC said:

I've had widgets on my GSII and they are pretty useless. Not only that they drain battery and many use data to update and probably slow down your phone, even when you are not using them. I never realized how fast a phone could be until I switched to the iPhone. I think the reason you see value in them is because your phone has them, and all their other non-necessary bells and whistles that slow down your phones OS so that you need things like widgets, to save time. Android was so frustrating to use and how often it would crash or load slowly. I will never go back, the options are not worth the headaches.

Yes, having more things running in the background and constantly will drain battery and slow your computer down. That's a universal rule of anything really.

However, that's why you pick what fits you and your usage. The only widget I have that actually uses data and updates is my calendar and my bookmarks. Both change rarely and I gurantee do not hamper my phone with any negative issue.

I said I "played around with" other widgets. I don't use FB or twitter or most of these other things enough to make them useful to me. But there are plenty who do and many I know.

There are also a ton of other widgets that wouldn't have a lot of negative impact. Clocks/weather/youtube/pandora/netflix/... and so on. Point is... its better to have options than none at all. Even if its in the simpliest terms of bookmarks, email, quick touch on/off .. and so on.

iOS as a default is not quicker. I gurantee you I can do anyting in Android just as fast or faster. Could I do that on ANY oem low-end over stuffed bloatware device? no. But that's why there are higher-end phones and Nexus phones. Choice and variety is king. I think your problem is you bought a free/cheap phone and it sucked. Well, I can go buy a cheap low-end anything and it will suck... so meh.

nightsurge said:
rocketpig said:
wick said:
ebw said:
wick said:
It's like the PC vs MAC battle all over again.

I guess Apple don't learn from their mistakes.

Yup, all the developers target iOS first due to lower costs (very few OS versions and devices to support) and higher sales ($11 billion and counting), leaving Android users to whine and beg for late ports.  It totally reminds me of being a Mac user in the late '90s.  Android can stay afloat with Google-proprietary apps, just like Apple made iLife and Final Cut Pro exclusive to MacOS in those days.  If history repeats itself, Android might eventually grow into a decently popular option that can finally call itself part of the mainstream.

Considering Android own 75% of the market, your whole statement has just been shot down in flames.

Last I read, the average iOS user spends four times as much money on apps as the average Android user. And also, iOS web traffic is still higher than Android traffic despite Android dominating the market. That means iOS users actually use their devices, something ad-based developers live and die by. Marketshare, while important, is not the only story here.

So, yeah, there's a reason why developers still prefer to write for iOS and port to Android. It's easier to write for iOS, there are less versioning and fragmentation problems, and you only have to write for 5-7 hardware configurations at any given moment.

Regarding spending money on apps, I am sure that is likely because there are millions more free apps on Android as opposed to iOS where it seems the $.99 app is much more common rather than being free/ad supported.

Regarding web usage, I bet a large portion of that is due to the iPad since that is used quite a lot in business and has been around in the tablet market much longer. I noticed you didn't quote some solid statistics though, and I imagine that every day that web traffic stat gets closer and closer to Android's favor.

Programming for Android is actually very easy. Especially for those used to Java programming. And the fact that it is an open market without all the overly strict processes involved with Apple leads many developers to go Android first, then port to Apple later. More and more this seems to be becoming the case. I know in my company, all of our apps are first released on Android and then slowly ported over as we have time.

As someone else pointed out, the statistics are showing marginal Android growth over the past year in web usage. I'm not bashing Android at all. As a web developer, I don't care who "wins" this battle. I program for the "winner" no matter who it is.

In my own experiences (largely in US-based websites with US-based traffic), iOS traffic has exploded to over 18% of my overall traffic, up from 13.something% a year ago. In that same timeframe, Android traffic has gone from 6.something% to 7.5%. Far lower than I expected given the sales figures of Android-based devices (these numbers are including all iOS and all Android products).

And free ad-based apps only support my notion that developers will continue to program for iOS first. Ad-based revenue almost never pays as well as up-front money for an app. As someone with plenty of web advertising experience, I can say this with absolute certainty. You need need at least a thousand views (probably more) from every user to make up the $.70 you earn from a 99 cent app. That's just not going to happen. Mobile advertising doesn't pay for shit. It's awful compared to desktop-based advertising, which is already a giant step down from every other form of advertising. A single person can barely make a decent living from a million pageview per month website, much less a million pageview per month mobile app.

Again, I'm not bashing Android. I'm simply pointing out that there are tangible benefits to the closed eco-system used by Apple and it doesn't only benefit Apple itself. Developers can thrive in such an environment as well. To offset and overcome this discrepency, Android is going to have to push sheer volume through marketshare, which they appear to be doing quite well, just not at the pace I expected in regards to users actually using the device.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Mummelmann said:
Apple are not innovators; they are excellent salesmen and streamliners. Jobs was not a genius, he was a fantastic salesman and mascot.

Henry Ford didn't invent the car but he did make it accessible to everyone. That counts for something. Apple didn't invent much in the way of technology but they are (maybe even "were" at this point) the best in the business at making that technology accessible to the average Joe on the street.

I own a lot of Apple products but honestly, I like the direction Microsoft is heading with their UIX far more than Apple and I like what Android is doing through sheer diversity (though the fragmentation problems that arise with such a strategy are maddening at times).

DaRev said:
Maybe Apple did become complacent like with the Blacberry, but I like more to compare them to Sony with regards to that complacency.

Anyways, I'm just glad those gamers, you know who you are, that thought crap like 'Apple would buy Nintendo' or that 'Handheld gaming is dead' could eat some humble pie. I honestly don't know why gamers think such dumb shit. The reality is that Samsung and other phone, pc, and software manufactures have their hand so tight on Apple's (and Sony's) neck that they can't think about making any sudden movements, nevermind trying to infring on Nintendo's business.

Handheld consoles sold in December of 2011 according to VGC: 6.9 million

Handheld consoles sold in December of 2012 according to VGC: 5.4 million

A YoY decline of over 20%. That's why gamers "think such dumb shit."

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
famousringo said:
DaRev said:
Maybe Apple did become complacent like with the Blacberry, but I like more to compare them to Sony with regards to that complacency.

Anyways, I'm just glad those gamers, you know who you are, that thought crap like 'Apple would buy Nintendo' or that 'Handheld gaming is dead' could eat some humble pie. I honestly don't know why gamers think such dumb shit. The reality is that Samsung and other phone, pc, and software manufactures have their hand so tight on Apple's (and Sony's) neck that they can't think about making any sudden movements, nevermind trying to infring on Nintendo's business.

Handheld consoles sold in December of 2011 according to VGC: 6.9 million

Handheld consoles sold in December of 2012 according to VGC: 5.4 million

A YoY decline of over 20%. That's why gamers "think such dumb shit."

I've been screaming about the death of handheld gaming for four years now (right around the time of the App Store's release). People mocked me extensively for it at the time.

Those people were wrong. And also, dumb. It was just so fucking obvious that phones and tablets were going to eat into handheld gaming consoles sales. For the vast majority of people out there, a single do-it-all device that you have to carry around all day, every day is going to squash the need to buy a dedicated device that you have to remember to carry around whenever you leave the house.

Cub said:
superchunk said:
iOS is no where near failing or anything like that.

However, I 100% agree that the personalization, widgets, and other built-in customization I can do on any Android phone is a billion light-years ahead of iOS.

I seriously don't get why anyone would want just a row of icons. That's so Win95.

All of my Apps in one place, it can't get any more effecient. I don't need 5 homescreens, i don't need widgets. I know some people like to add/remove widgets all day, change their wallpapers every 6 hours and so on, I don't care about that at all.

I could make my android look exactly like that.  Just bunch everything up into folders and toss it all on the home page. 

BUT you can't have widgets or customization that I can do.  I can do everything you can, but you can do nothing I can.

superchunk said:
RVDondaPC said:

I've had widgets on my GSII and they are pretty useless. Not only that they drain battery and many use data to update and probably slow down your phone, even when you are not using them. I never realized how fast a phone could be until I switched to the iPhone. I think the reason you see value in them is because your phone has them, and all their other non-necessary bells and whistles that slow down your phones OS so that you need things like widgets, to save time. Android was so frustrating to use and how often it would crash or load slowly. I will never go back, the options are not worth the headaches.

Yes, having more things running in the background and constantly will drain battery and slow your computer down. That's a universal rule of anything really.

However, that's why you pick what fits you and your usage. The only widget I have that actually uses data and updates is my calendar and my bookmarks. Both change rarely and I gurantee do not hamper my phone with any negative issue.

I said I "played around with" other widgets. I don't use FB or twitter or most of these other things enough to make them useful to me. But there are plenty who do and many I know.

There are also a ton of other widgets that wouldn't have a lot of negative impact. Clocks/weather/youtube/pandora/netflix/... and so on. Point is... its better to have options than none at all. Even if its in the simpliest terms of bookmarks, email, quick touch on/off .. and so on.

iOS as a default is not quicker. I gurantee you I can do anyting in Android just as fast or faster. Could I do that on ANY oem low-end over stuffed bloatware device? no. But that's why there are higher-end phones and Nexus phones. Choice and variety is king. I think your problem is you bought a free/cheap phone and it sucked. Well, I can go buy a cheap low-end anything and it will suck... so meh.

I had the Galaxy S II, as I stated in the post. If that is low end then every android phone is low end. And I 100% doubt that you can open and close and jump around multiple apps faster on your phone than you could on an iPhone. Atleast that is what I found when I switched phones. And having options does not mean anything if it really does nothing to make the phone better but compromises some of the most important things like battery life and speed. Apple obviously knew this and decided it makes way more sense to ensure that they focus on what is most important and not waste resources on pointless options for people to tinker around with just to give them something to do. 

No, they are certainly not. The real question is: Why's there so much hate between Android and iOS users? Or Apple and Samsung users? I don't get it. How can you NOT see that the other OS is great in its own regard? How can someone seriously try to tell me that my iPhone is "shit" or my Macbook Pro is "bad"? Both are some of the very best products in their category. Same goes for Samsung's phones - I'd never ever bash anyone for buying an GS3. It's such a great phone! But apparently anything you don't own MUST be bad and we totally have to fight this completely stupid and imaginary war out on the internet.
"My phone has a 5% faster CPU!"
"My phone is 15% thinner than yours!"
"My OS can do multitasking 10% better!"
"My row of icons looks so much cooler than yours!"

It's so stupid.

One day, on my deathbed, my last words will be: "I'm just glad I never bought an Android." At which the doctor will strangle me with his stethoscope because, obviously, Android is way better.

kowenicki said:
Android? I look down my nose at Android. It's a messy free for all.

It's ok if you want a cheap crappy phone but if you can afford a quality handset then I don't know why you would go android. I really don't. What are all these amazing things that android users have that I, and millions of others, seemingly manage without?

choice.

Can you pick and choose default applications based on a specific action like opening a photo, web page, music, etc? Or are you forced into what Apple says is the default app.

Can you choose an entirely different layout for your screens that fits your personality or how and what apps you use? Nope. Just configuration of icons.

Can you choose a design with a physical keyboard?

This is just a small item and maybe some or all of these don't matter to YOU, but I garauntee you they matter to a lot more. Kinda why Android has the marketshare it does.

choice always wins. It won for MS in computers, it won for Google in phones, it will win for Google or MS in tablets eventually as well.

People lamblast about this and that and speed and no plastic and so on... but fail to realize each person is different in their usage. I can understand wanting to keep it simplistic.. see my home screens in this thread. But at the same time, I don't understand why you'd force yourself into a corner and remove all possibility of having a choice.

Don't like Android stock keyboard? so what. hit up the Play store and get a different one... even one that is identical to iOS.

Don't like the default launcher Sammy/Moto/HTC/LG/Sony uses... so what... hit up the play store and download a different one.

However, if you don't like something Apple does, then you're only choice is to leave iOS and your content in iTunes. Well, not your music as that can be moved to Google Music if you want.

Are their issues with so much choice? Yes, fragmentation is really the biggest and only thing really. But, that's why there is a Nexus option if you don't want to deal with late upgrades. Again CHOICE is the difference.

Sad part is while MS seems interesting in their mobile approach... they also seem to be walking away from that choice that made Windows beat Mac in the first place. Idk, we'll have to see if in the end they eventually catch up. I actually like their Metro interface... but its still very limiting in content on one screen.