By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - iOS Products - Is Apple going the way of Blackberry?

My Apple-worshipping friends always tell me how awesome their iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc. is, and how I'm missing out with my GS3 phone and Surface tablet. "It's so great! It's super easy to use! It 'just works!', 'I wanted to have Steve Jobs' baby!".  They talk up the iOS interface like it's literally the best thing, like, ever. I've never been a huge fan of the simplistic iOS interface in favor of the more customizeable, deeper, more innovative (IMO) Android interface, and now the new Windows Phone 8/Windows 8 interfaces have grabbed my attention as well. Just to placate my most vocal Apple Evangalist friend, I spent about an hour on his iPad and iPhone yesterday.

My take: It's just a grid of icons! What the... this is the best thing evaaaaar? The only thing I can see that's changed since the very first iPhone I picked up (which seemed really cool and innovative at the time)  is that you can make folders now (woopidy doo). The OS itself is just a static, shiny app-launcher + iPod, it really does nothing on its own. Usability is: I download an app, I flick through my screens, then tap the icon to launch the app, then I use the app. Visually and functionally, the interface is essentially the same as on the original iPhone. The OS is super easy to use because it pretty much does nothing aside from presenting the user with a grid of icons to launch apps. It's not a bad interface per se, but I'm not sure it earns the gushing praise my Apple-loving friends give it. Don't get me wrong, an OS shouldn't be hard to use, but a little depth of functionality doesn't hurt.

I honestly feel like Apple has stopped innovating at this point and that both Android and WP8 have surpassed iOS on most fronts. Apple's mobile products have not really changed in years (aside from incremental hardware improvements), and their product line is just stale to me. Their biggest 'innovation' in recent years was the Siri app, which was originally available on all iPhones as an app, Apple purchased the developer, took off the App Store, then pretended was some new, amazing thing to get people to buy the 4s. I find it ironic that the company who's slogan used to be 'Think Different' has been stamping out the same thing with only small, incremental hardware improvements year after year (aside from the Maps debacle, that was interesting). Maybe the increased competition from Android and Microsoft will help spur them to innovate again, or maybe they'll be blindsided by a fast-changing industry.

Has Apple pulled a 'Blackberry'? Have they become too complacent with their initial roaring success, only to have their competition eventually out-innovate them? Nobody would have forseen Blackberry falling so quickly; could the same thing happen to Apple's iOS?

Around the Network

I read the last paragraph so...

Are they really falling? They still sell butt-loads of all their products. Just because it may be less doesn't mean they'll pull a Nokia BlackBerry. They might just be coming off of a high point.

NintendoPie said:

Are they really falling? They still sell butt-loads of all their products. Just because it may be less doesn't mean they'll pull a Nokia BlackBerry. They might just be coming off of a high point.

They've definitely lost a lot of market share to Android. Not saying they would fall, but the speed at which Nokia & Blackberry fell shows it could happen if they get complacent.

timmah said:
NintendoPie said:

They've definitely lost a lot of market share to Android. Not saying they would fall, but the speed at which Nokia & Blackberry fell shows it could happen if they get complacent.

Well, of course Android gained market share, they've been balancing out for quite a while now.

I have an Iphone 5 and Ipad 4, I got them cheap thanks to my sim card provider. I indeed don't see What makes them special. The interface is so bad it is laughable. Dat so called notification center is just one big lol.

They are unmatched when it comes to speed though. The screens are also quite nice. Battery life is not bad.

I Will keep the Ipad but Will get rid of the Iphone when Xperia Z gets released. Can't wait.

They are not going anywhere by the way. People were calling me an Apple hater and Here I am with two of them lol.

Around the Network

It's like the PC vs MAC battle all over again.

I guess Apple don't learn from their mistakes.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

I think one thing with the APPS. Is the people that buy all sorts of apps for idevices are going to want to keep buying I-devices.

I don't use laptops much but I bought an Ipad for travel. I probably won't buy another one for another few years. But I have no plan on buying anything else. Blackberry didn't really have you invest in apps.

If for some reasons previous purchases stop working on newer I-devices, I could see them going the way of blackberry. Otherwise no. It's definetly going to shrink, because it's one or two devices competing against hundreds of others. 

Heh, "Apple" and "innovation" haven't belonged in the same sentence for years.

Slightly bigger screen, faster core, now give us our yearly tribute of $599.

'Innovation' is not what sells phones, except to the tech-aware.

People want a phone that does all of the things they want it to do with no problems. Apple does this. As long as that is true, iPhone will sell.

wick said:
It's like the PC vs MAC battle all over again.

I guess Apple don't learn from their mistakes.

Yup, all the developers target iOS first due to lower costs (very few OS versions and devices to support) and higher sales ($11 billion and counting), leaving Android users to whine and beg for late ports.  It totally reminds me of being a Mac user in the late '90s.  Android can stay afloat with Google-proprietary apps, just like Apple made iLife and Final Cut Pro exclusive to MacOS in those days.  If history repeats itself, Android might eventually grow into a decently popular option that can finally call itself part of the mainstream.