By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - iOS Products - Is Apple going the way of Blackberry?

superchunk said:
iOS is no where near failing or anything like that.

However, I 100% agree that the personalization, widgets, and other built-in customization I can do on any Android phone is a billion light-years ahead of iOS.

I seriously don't get why anyone would want just a row of icons. That's so Win95.

All of my Apps in one place, it can't get any more effecient. I don't need 5 homescreens, i don't need widgets. I know some people like to add/remove widgets all day, change their wallpapers every 6 hours and so on, I don't care about that at all.

Around the Network
Cub said:
superchunk said:

However, I 100% agree that the personalization, widgets, and other built-in customization I can do on any Android phone is a billion light-years ahead of iOS.

I seriously don't get why anyone would want just a row of icons. That's so Win95.

All of my Apps in one place, it can't get any more effecient. I don't need 5 homescreens, i don't need widgets. I know some people like to add/remove widgets all day, change their wallpapers every 6 hours and so on, I don't care about that at all.

I use 3 panes and really you're using panes... they're just called folders to you.

Home (center) pane is my icons all put into nice groupings (like your folders). It also has a icon size widget to turn on/off my camera LED light (use a flashlight), a widget to turn on/off various other things like wifi/bluetooth/etc, and a widget to easily call/message my wife (yes could do that via voice as well but most of the time voice would be inconvenient due to surroundings).

Left pane is my Calendar widget. Google Calendar which actually shows multiple calendars including my wife's all color coded.

Right pane is my Chrome widget listing my desktop (yep from any PC I log into) bookmarks.

Extremely simply, personal, and far more useful than any generic list of app icons.

Previously I also played around with the FB widget and weather etc. There is almost a widget for anything and you likely don't see value because you have never had them.

I don't see it happening at all. You said it yourself that iOS is a very simple OS.....that is the selling point. That is what makes it great. I'd love to know what is so great about the Galaxy S3 or Windows Phone that makes them so innovative.

superchunk said:
Cub said:
superchunk said:

I use 3 panes and really you're using panes... they're just called folders to you.

Home (center) pane is my icons all put into nice groupings (like your folders). It also has a icon size widget to turn on/off my camera LED light (use a flashlight), a widget to turn on/off various other things like wifi/bluetooth/etc, and a widget to easily call/message my wife (yes could do that via voice as well but most of the time voice would be inconvenient due to surroundings).

Left pane is my Calendar widget. Google Calendar which actually shows multiple calendars including my wife's all color coded.

Right pane is my Chrome widget listing my desktop (yep from any PC I log into) bookmarks.

Extremely simply, personal, and far more useful than any generic list of app icons.

Previously I also played around with the FB widget and weather etc. There is almost a widget for anything and you likely don't see value because you have never had them.

I told you before that I have iPhone 4 and Xperia sola (before that I had x10). I actually had to install a cotum rom recently just to trim down the home panes to only one. Having 5 home panes is just counter productive and beats the point of widgets and shortcuts. I get why people love to play and costumize widgets, me? I don't find them "far more useful". Need to turn on LED? Go to utilties folder and touch the flash light app. Need to check mail? go to productivity and hit the Mail app, I get a message on FB that I need to read? Go to the social folder and so on. 

Anyway, I am not questioning the value you see in your android device, I was merely responding to "why would anyone want a row icons?" question. 

I think Apple will be fine, they are still making a lot of profit, however they really to stop suing everyone over the shape of chasing on phones. People need to remember that Android isn't some monolithic, unified company, its actually a lot of different companies in direct competition with each other. Samsung has the biggest market share, but Apple is still number two.

Around the Network
Cub said:

I told you before that I have iPhone 4 and Xperia sola (before that I had x10). I actually had to install a cotum rom recently just to trim down the home panes to only one. Having 5 home panes is just counter productive and beats the point of widgets and shortcuts. I get why people love to play and costumize widgets, me? I don't find them "far more useful". Need to turn on LED? Go to utilties folder and touch the flash light app. Need to check mail? go to productivity and hit the Mail app, I get a message on FB that I need to read? Go to the social folder and so on. 

Anyway, I am not questioning the value you see in your android device, I was merely responding to "why would anyone want a row icons?" question. 

I get what you are saying, just it makes no sense to me. For fun, here are two of my screens. (also... there is no need to rom your phone to reduce/change panes on any phone I'm aware of)

Maybe Apple did become complacent like with the Blacberry, but I like more to compare them to Sony with regards to that complacency.

Anyways, I'm just glad those gamers, you know who you are, that thought crap like 'Apple would buy Nintendo' or that 'Handheld gaming is dead' could eat some humble pie. I honestly don't know why gamers think such dumb shit. The reality is that Samsung and other phone, pc, and software manufactures have their hand so tight on Apple's (and Sony's) neck that they can't think about making any sudden movements, nevermind trying to infring on Nintendo's business.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

VGKing said:
I don't see it happening at all. You said it yourself that iOS is a very simple OS.....that is the selling point. That is what makes it great. I'd love to know what is so great about the Galaxy S3 or Windows Phone that makes them so innovative.

I don't understand these simple OS claims I always hear about iOS. I've owned and used both iOS and Android and to do anything productive was a pain in the arse on iOS.

Example: (And this might have changed since I last used iOS) If someone emails me a photo, for example, what do I have to do to edit the photo and then share it on twitter?

On my Note 2 this is a 2 step process thanks to all the apps having access to each other.

That equals simple in my book.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

superchunk said:

I've had widgets on my GSII and they are pretty useless. Not only that they drain battery and many use data to update and probably slow down your phone, even when you are not using them. I never realized how fast a phone could be until I switched to the iPhone. I think the reason you see value in them is because your phone has them, and all their other non-necessary bells and whistles that slow down your phones OS so that you need things like widgets, to save time. Android was so frustrating to use and how often it would crash or load slowly. I will never go back, the options are not worth the headaches.

superchunk said:
Cub said:

I get what you are saying, just it makes no sense to me. For fun, here are two of my screens. (also... there is no need to rom your phone to reduce/change panes on any phone I'm aware of)

I could've installed a new launcher but I wanted to keep Sony's one. The problem is that it doesn't allow you change the number of panels so I had to install a costum rom. 

ANYWAY, Zombie u fits your neat home panels! :)