By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - iOS Products - Is Apple going the way of Blackberry?

RVDondaPC said:

I had the Galaxy S II, as I stated in the post. If that is low end then every android phone is low end. And I 100% doubt that you can open and close and jump around multiple apps faster on your phone than you could on an iPhone. Atleast that is what I found when I switched phones. And having options does not mean anything if it really does nothing to make the phone better but compromises some of the most important things like battery life and speed. Apple obviously knew this and decided it makes way more sense to ensure that they focus on what is most important and not waste resources on pointless options for people to tinker around with just to give them something to do. 

S2 is definitely a great phone at the time. But it is the reason I chose my Nexus. No OEM changes and bloat. However, tweaking settings and removing unnecessary notifications would have sped it up and made battery life improvements. That's part of knowing your device really. Something I also do when I install things on my PC. Also something greatly improved with Android 4.x, a version your S2 was not running.

Finally, having options is always better. You just have to look for the options that fit your and your use case. Of course, that could just mean iOS is your best fit.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Cub said:
superchunk said:
iOS is no where near failing or anything like that.

However, I 100% agree that the personalization, widgets, and other built-in customization I can do on any Android phone is a billion light-years ahead of iOS.

I seriously don't get why anyone would want just a row of icons. That's so Win95.

All of my Apps in one place, it can't get any more effecient. I don't need 5 homescreens, i don't need widgets. I know some people like to add/remove widgets all day, change their wallpapers every 6 hours and so on, I don't care about that at all.

I could make my android look exactly like that.  Just bunch everything up into folders and toss it all on the home page. 

BUT you can't have widgets or customization that I can do.  I can do everything you can, but you can do nothing I can.

I know what I am getting into if I decided to upgrade to iPhone 5 instead of galaxy 3, I decide that I don't need the things android is offering me. Again, I have an android and iPhone.I was just letting the guy know why I don't care for widgets and whatnot. 

My next phone is gonna be either

a Windows phone (I like the interface, may not find all the apps I want, but I keeping my iPhone 4 for that)

or Nexus LG (the one that's being announced soon, I like Nexus 4, vanilla android is the way to go).

or an iPhone 5s (I am used to it+ I don't mind the grid of icons + won't have to rebuy apps).

I like all OS's enough to overlook their shortcomings, battery life and camera will be the deciding factors.

Cub said:
irstupid said:
Cub said:
superchunk said:

However, I 100% agree that the personalization, widgets, and other built-in customization I can do on any Android phone is a billion light-years ahead of iOS.

I seriously don't get why anyone would want just a row of icons. That's so Win95.

All of my Apps in one place, it can't get any more effecient. I don't need 5 homescreens, i don't need widgets. I know some people like to add/remove widgets all day, change their wallpapers every 6 hours and so on, I don't care about that at all.

I could make my android look exactly like that.  Just bunch everything up into folders and toss it all on the home page. 

BUT you can't have widgets or customization that I can do.  I can do everything you can, but you can do nothing I can.

I know what I am getting into if I decided to upgrade to iPhone 5 instead of galaxy 3, I decide that I don't need the things android is offering me. Again, I have an android and iPhone.I was just letting the guy know why I don't care for widgets and whatnot. 

a Windows phone (I like the interface, may not find all the apps I want, but I keeping my iPhone 4 for that)

or Nexus LG (the one that's being announced soon, I like Nexus 4, vanilla android is the way to go).

or an iPhone 5s (I am used to it+ I don't mind the grid of icons + won't have to rebuy apps).

I like all OS's enough to overlook their shortcomings, battery life and camera will be the deciding factors.

I was just pointing out that Androids have options in regards to look and layout versus Iphones.  I barely have any widgets.  I think i have a clock, weather and during football season a score tracker.  But thsoe are things I couldn't have on an iphone.  I would just have an icon, whether in a folder or not. I would need to open the app to see what I wanted. 

If I like doing that, i could just have a weather app icon siting on my screen isntead of a widget.  Point is its up to me.  Windows phone and other OS out there also have more options than just an app icon or folder with app icons inside it. 

You can argue all you want about which OS is smoother, faster, which has more apps, which gets more support, ect.  I really don't care and thats not what this topic is about.  It's about how Apple is stuck using the same layout it has been using for too long.  It's following the same footsteps that Blackberry did.  THey were on top and did nothing to innovate or stay ahead of its competition.  THey kept their same phone and just made it more powerful or faster each new phone.  Trust me I had 3 blackberrrys.  There was nothing new between them ever.  Just changing from maybe a ball to a small touch pad where the ball was.  Adding some pointless blackberry messenger, ect.  There is nothing worth talking about.

That is teh same for iphones.  It shocked teh world with its touch screen.  But been living off of that since.  If it wasn't for itunes, I doubt iphones would be as poopular as they are today.  I think a lot of people don't even consider a new phone because they have a huge itunes library and would be throwing away all their money they sunk into it.  Sure they can still have their ipod or something, but no one wants to carry around two devices if you can have 1 instead.

irstupid said:
Cub said:
irstupid said:
Cub said:
superchunk said:

You can argue all you want about which OS is smoother, faster, which has more apps, which gets more support, ect.  I really don't care and thats not what this topic is about.  It's about how Apple is stuck using the same layout it has been using for too long.  It's following the same footsteps that Blackberry did.  THey were on top and did nothing to innovate or stay ahead of its competition.  THey kept their same phone and just made it more powerful or faster each new phone.  Trust me I had 3 blackberrrys.  There was nothing new between them ever.  Just changing from maybe a ball to a small touch pad where the ball was.  Adding some pointless blackberry messenger, ect.  There is nothing worth talking about.

You are right, I am sorry if I derailed the thread, but I had to explain to superchunky why row of icons isn't bothering me lol.

And I agree. Apple will have to offer more in the future (Software wise) to stay relevant Here's hoping Jonathan Ive will play ballsy.

ebw said:

Courtesy of asymco, this is smartphone user share for the US.  I invite comments, especially on the Android curve which is just begging for newer data.  Note that Android is still gaining users in absolute terms, but it was outpaced by the gains from iPhone (plus a little help from WP).

Anecdotally, I just visited some friends in another state, and almost all of them were sporting a Galaxy Note II.

It does look like Android has peaked in the US. The important caveat here is that the way the US cell market is structured pretty much makes it the most fertile soil for iPhone sales in the world, along with a few other, similarly structured markets. iPhone growth will be more challenging in markets with a larger mix of prepaid subscribers.

On the other hand, there are still a lot of carriers out there that don't offer the iPhone, And they're having a tough time doing without it, because carriers without the iPhone tend to lose subscribers — the most valuable subscribers — to competitors that do. Apple's just patiently waiting until these holdout carriers are willing to meet Apple's terms.

Another statistic of note is that the iPhone 4S outsold the Galaxy S3 worldwide last quarter:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/02/20/apple-samsung-smartphone-sales/

Samsung's monster saw one quarter on top of the world, only to fall back below not only the latest iPhone, but also the iPhone that came out almost a year before it. Maybe the iPhone is stagnant and the 5 doesn't offer that much more than the 4S, but it looks like the 4S still offers more than the best competing handsets.

If the iPhone is stagnant yet is still growing, perhaps these competitors aren't actually catching up in the factors the iPhone sells on...

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
famousringo said:
DaRev said:
Maybe Apple did become complacent like with the Blacberry, but I like more to compare them to Sony with regards to that complacency.

Anyways, I'm just glad those gamers, you know who you are, that thought crap like 'Apple would buy Nintendo' or that 'Handheld gaming is dead' could eat some humble pie. I honestly don't know why gamers think such dumb shit. The reality is that Samsung and other phone, pc, and software manufactures have their hand so tight on Apple's (and Sony's) neck that they can't think about making any sudden movements, nevermind trying to infring on Nintendo's business.

Handheld consoles sold in December of 2011 according to VGC: 6.9 million

Handheld consoles sold in December of 2012 according to VGC: 5.4 million

A YoY decline of over 20%. That's why gamers "think such dumb shit."

So you're suggesting that because sales of a product is down, that means the product is failing to the point where another company is likly to move in and buy that company? Pal, in case you never noticed this, sales figures go up and down year by year on every consumer product. Therefore, only a dumb ass would look at sales of a Nintendo handheld one year verses the next and then assume some dumb shit like they are going out of business or they will be bought.

According to many sales figuers the 3DS generally had a weaker start than the DS, a similar lull in the middle, and a much better end to its first 45 weeks of sales, however the 3DS then started breaking records for consoles sold.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

The thing is, you can point to Android's increasing marketshare, but what you're forgetting is that this is NOT a zero sum game. Android's success does not imply Apple's failure.

Android is gaining a lot of sales, but iPhone is still gaining sales, just at a lower rate

Fiscal Year Q1 [Oct-Dec] Q2 [Jan-Mar] Q3 [Apr-Jun] Q4 [Jul-Sep] Total sold
2007 270,000[1] 1,119,000[2] 1,389,000
2008 2,315,000[3] 1,703,000[4] 717,000[5] 6,890,000[6] 11,625,000
2009 4,363,000[7] 3,793,000[8] 5,208,000[9] 7,367,000[10] 20,731,000
2010 8,737,000[11] 8,752,000[12] 8,398,000[13] 14,102,000[14] 39,989,000
2011 16,240,000[15] 18,650,000[16] 20,340,000[17] 17,070,000[18] 72,300,000
2012 37,044,000[19] 35,100,000[20] 26,000,000[21] 26,900,000[22] 125,044,000
2013 47,800,000[23] 47,800,000
Fiscal Year Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4

Excuse the poor formatting.

But iPhone sales have increased significantly each year, and 2013 has a 10M unit advantage over 2012 for the first quarter.

rocketpig said:
famousringo said:
DaRev said:
Maybe Apple did become complacent like with the Blacberry, but I like more to compare them to Sony with regards to that complacency.

Anyways, I'm just glad those gamers, you know who you are, that thought crap like 'Apple would buy Nintendo' or that 'Handheld gaming is dead' could eat some humble pie. I honestly don't know why gamers think such dumb shit. The reality is that Samsung and other phone, pc, and software manufactures have their hand so tight on Apple's (and Sony's) neck that they can't think about making any sudden movements, nevermind trying to infring on Nintendo's business.

Handheld consoles sold in December of 2011 according to VGC: 6.9 million

Handheld consoles sold in December of 2012 according to VGC: 5.4 million

A YoY decline of over 20%. That's why gamers "think such dumb shit."

I've been screaming about the death of handheld gaming for four years now (right around the time of the App Store's release). People mocked me extensively for it at the time.

Those people were wrong. And also, dumb. It was just so fucking obvious that phones and tablets were going to eat into handheld gaming consoles sales. For the vast majority of people out there, a single do-it-all device that you have to carry around all day, every day is going to squash the need to buy a dedicated device that you have to remember to carry around whenever you leave the house.

"Mobile phone sales declined across the globe by 1.7 percent, according to Gartner.

The research firm's latest report suggests that difficult economic conditions, shifting consumer interest and intense market competition has resulted in a worldwide drop in sales, which has not declined since 2009." http://www.zdnet.com/gartner-worldwide-mobile-phone-sales-fall-apple-and-samsung-stay-on-top-7000011234/

OMG!!!, consumer interest in phones have shifted, no doubt back to dedicated handhelds. Newsflash, Nintendo will now buy Apple o_O

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

If anything Apple will go the way of Micro$oft. No growth, tons of profit, wasting profit on products/services that doesn't bring them more money.

superchunk said:
RVDondaPC said:

I had the Galaxy S II, as I stated in the post. If that is low end then every android phone is low end. And I 100% doubt that you can open and close and jump around multiple apps faster on your phone than you could on an iPhone. Atleast that is what I found when I switched phones. And having options does not mean anything if it really does nothing to make the phone better but compromises some of the most important things like battery life and speed. Apple obviously knew this and decided it makes way more sense to ensure that they focus on what is most important and not waste resources on pointless options for people to tinker around with just to give them something to do. 

S2 is definitely a great phone at the time. But it is the reason I chose my Nexus. No OEM changes and bloat. However, tweaking settings and removing unnecessary notifications would have sped it up and made battery life improvements. That's part of knowing your device really. Something I also do when I install things on my PC. Also something greatly improved with Android 4.x, a version your S2 was not running.

Finally, having options is always better. You just have to look for the options that fit your and your use case. Of course, that could just mean iOS is your best fit.

It was a good phone. Until the battery stopped holding a charge after 13 months. I still wanted an Android phone but didn't trust any of the hardware manufacturer's to make a quality built phone. So I reluctantly bought an iPhone, only then did I realize how much the phone was better without all those pointless customizations and focused on simplicity and doing what it was supposed to do.