By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What would you do if Sony got out of the gaming industry?

I'd probably pick Nintendo over Microsoft, however.

Around the Network

i would start my own company and enter the console business

I would go to message boards and pissed of Sony fanboys

I think ninety percent of Sony loyalists would shift to Microsoft's console, because lets be honest about this. They are about ninety percent the same, and as for the other ten percent people can adapt. Going over to Nintendo, or going over strictly to PC gaming. Would be a pretty potent culture shock. If Sony leaves then the die hard loyalist is probably going to go looking for a substitute that possess most of the same characteristics.

To suggest that you are going to swing for the farthest thing from what you previously liked. Is basically a tacit admission that either your tastes have radically changed, or that you are conceding that you were wrong about what made for good gaming for a very long time. If my favorite science fiction television show got cancelled. I personally wouldn't be looking to fill that void with a soap opera. I would instead find a science fiction television show that was as close as possible to what I lost.

I am sorry I just can't take Sony fans seriously when they say they would go Nintendo all the way. That has to be pure spite talking, because I guarantee you that Nintendo is pretty light on things outside of mechanics. You will miss having things like story, dialog, mature content, and better visuals. That is why a lot of Sony fans switched out Nintendo for Sony in the first place. They wanted more depth to their games.

As for where most developers would go don't fool yourself. The bigger Japanese third party studios really want to expand their market share in the West, and to be brutally honest Nintendo just isn't known for playing well with others. Nintendo all too frequently competes directly against third parties. Nintendo just dominates the software sales on their platforms, and that is pretty disruptive to third parties.

Microsoft is more like Sony. They make some titles to sell more of their hardware. Nintendo treats its platform as a gateway for their own proprietary software. As a developer who would you choose Microsoft which might have a couple major first party titles per year on their platform, or Nintendo which can put out over half a dozen in any given year.

On a serious note, I'd build a gaming PC the week after and get a Wii U whenever the first party games start hitting.

Around the Network

i would dig up every sony doom thread then tease and mock every sony fan for months.

of course this would happen after i would spend the 3 months crying every night in bed and refusing to get out of my room and site in my underwear all day long.

Continue to support Playstation brand. Sony already has gaming in its own business segment after the reorg. If PS4 is a smashing hit, great, if not, I could see it been spun off. The hardware subsidy model is a tough business model unless you are swimming in cash like MSFT or can find 3rd party subsidies via the cell phne model. Paying your customers so one day you might make some money back is not a good long term plan. Just look at what PS3 did to eat up all previous Gaming profits.

Playstation is too valuable a brand to go extinct, if Sony doesnt have resources to back it up with its own balance sheet, they can always raise money for it on its own.

I wouldn't care to be honest.

Sega dropping out sucks more than if Sony did to me personally. I wouldn't want it to happen though as I'd feel bad for the Sony fans. Plus, competition is good and I wouldn't want anyone to get lazy

Deyon said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Jay520 said:

Unreliable hardware? That's the first time I've heard that.

To be fair, the PS3 was comparatively very unreliable. 360 was just so infamously unrealiable that it overshadowed the PS3's shit reliability. 

Not true at all.

All my Xbox360's broke down, while my first PS3 is still running perfectly.

BTW all consoles break at some point.

Unless its made out of Nintendium.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Probably get a good PC and buy the Nintendo systems when they're cheap and the big software is out (I already do that second part)

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers