By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To Clear up confusion on what makes Next-Generation

Hynad said:
Mazty said:
Hynad said:
Mazty said:

Vita and xbox glass. Eyetoy didn't make the PS2 jump a generation. One thing =/= " numerous technological advances over the previous generation"

Oh really? Those were the main control scheme for their consoles? Those functionalities weren't used nearly to the extent the Wii U uses them, if at all. And what about asymetrical gameplay? Not to mention the social aspect of MiiVerse, not done on any other consoles, among other things. Nah. You have nothing. You base everything on horsepower. And even with that, you fail to realise the direct x 11 feature set equivalent that the Wii U is capable of,  a step up from last gen. Your argument fails. At this point, you argue just for the sake of it.

So how much of a difference has a touchscreen made in things like CoD and Darksiders? It's still a pad, with just a slight change. Plus you're ignoring the hardware underneath which shows an improvement in efficiency but we've yet to see anything that surpasses the PS3/360. 

Social aspect of Miiverse/aysmetrical gameplay =/= "numerous technological advances over the previous generation"

There is nothing about Miiverese or asymetrical gameplay that makes it next-gen. Hell, the sims has been around for ages so not sure why you think non-violent games is something special. 
If you don't base things on horsepower, every other argument so far just dissolves into contradiction and arbritary rules. Until the Wii U shows this step up from the next-gen, you are merely speculating it is next-gen. For all we know, unless you are a game dev, that the CPU may be bottle-necking the DX11 feature set. So far the exclusives haven't shown an improvment in graphics, and the ports perform considerably worse. 

As I said, for you graphics = defines a gen. 

Well then, I suppose you still play with a 2 button + stick pad, right?

No. I said hardware defines a gen, just like it does with everything else that exists, whether it's games or jet fighters.

Adding buttons is hardly a leap in a generation. Does then the bluray player of the PS3 put it a generation ahead of the 360 and Wii? See, as I said, if you ignore the power of the hardware, a lot of questions arise. 

Around the Network
Mazty said:
Hynad said:
Mazty said:
Hynad said:
Mazty said:

Vita and xbox glass. Eyetoy didn't make the PS2 jump a generation. One thing =/= " numerous technological advances over the previous generation"

Oh really? Those were the main control scheme for their consoles? Those functionalities weren't used nearly to the extent the Wii U uses them, if at all. And what about asymetrical gameplay? Not to mention the social aspect of MiiVerse, not done on any other consoles, among other things. Nah. You have nothing. You base everything on horsepower. And even with that, you fail to realise the direct x 11 feature set equivalent that the Wii U is capable of,  a step up from last gen. Your argument fails. At this point, you argue just for the sake of it.

So how much of a difference has a touchscreen made in things like CoD and Darksiders? It's still a pad, with just a slight change. Plus you're ignoring the hardware underneath which shows an improvement in efficiency but we've yet to see anything that surpasses the PS3/360. 

Social aspect of Miiverse/aysmetrical gameplay =/= "numerous technological advances over the previous generation"

There is nothing about Miiverese or asymetrical gameplay that makes it next-gen. Hell, the sims has been around for ages so not sure why you think non-violent games is something special. 
If you don't base things on horsepower, every other argument so far just dissolves into contradiction and arbritary rules. Until the Wii U shows this step up from the next-gen, you are merely speculating it is next-gen. For all we know, unless you are a game dev, that the CPU may be bottle-necking the DX11 feature set. So far the exclusives haven't shown an improvment in graphics, and the ports perform considerably worse. 

As I said, for you graphics = defines a gen. 

Well then, I suppose you still play with a 2 button + stick pad, right?

No. I said hardware defines a gen, just like it does with everything else that exists, whether it's games or jet fighters.

Adding buttons is hardly a leap in a generation. Does then the bluray player of the PS3 put it a generation ahead of the 360 and Wii? See, as I said, if you ignore the power of the hardware, a lot of questions arise. 

Among other things,  the Ps3 brought Blu-Ray to this gen, the 360 brought a user friendly and highly efficient online ecosystem, the Wii brought motion controls.

All consoles don't need to be carbon copies of each others to be part of the same generation. I doubt you're whole family is composed of twins/triplets/etc.

Hynad said:
Mazty said:

Among other things,  the Ps3 brought Blu-Ray to this gen, the 360 brought a user friendly and highly efficient online ecosystem, the Wii brought motion controls.

All consoles don't need to be carbon copies of each others to be part of the same generation. I doubt you're whole family is composed of twins/triplets/etc.

Why was the bluray not seen as a generation above the 360 and Wii? Why was the GUI of the 360 not seen as a generational leap above the PS3 and Wii? 

See, now you are introducing arbitrary rules. How exactly have you determined that the leap made with the bluray player is the same as the leap made with the 360 GUI?

Miguel_Zorro said:
JayWood2010 said:
sales2099 said:

Kinda a hidden rule that you have to be relevant to be counted. Kinda the reason why people dont count Dreamcast in the 6th gen.

Thank you for making my point while i was absent XD

What makes you think he was making your point?

The WiiU will have to be relevant to be counted, too.  That's still up in the air.

So i guess the vita is behind a gen since it cant keep up with the 3DS?

They are competitors and is why they are all three at E3.  The thing you posted is not a competitor.  You mazty are like the only two who wants to argue this point.  I find it amusiong though XD

Miguel_Zorro said:
JayWood2010 said:
Miguel_Zorro said:
JayWood2010 said:
sales2099 said:

Kinda a hidden rule that you have to be relevant to be counted. Kinda the reason why people dont count Dreamcast in the 6th gen.

Thank you for making my point while i was absent XD

What makes you think he was making your point?

The WiiU will have to be relevant to be counted, too.  That's still up in the air.

So i guess the vita is behind a gen since it cant keep up with the 3DS?

They are competitors and is why they are all three at E3.  The thing you posted is not a competitor.  You mazty are like the only two who wants to argue this point.  I find it amusiong though XD

Not behind a gen - just not included at all.  When the history of the eigth generation is written, both the WiiU and the Vita may be relegated to the "other consoles" bucket.

I haven't paid much attention to what mazty is posting, but I guarantee that he's not arguing the same point that I am.

Well if if they both prove irrelevant then sure you will be right but as of right now they will be included in the 8th gen.  And don't read what he is saying.  he makes little to no sense.  You presented yourself really well on the other hand :)

Around the Network

The successor to a 7th gen console is 8th gen, just like your kids are in the next generation even if they're only slightly taller than you.

curl-6 said:
The successor to a 7th gen console is 8th gen, just like your kids are in the next generation even if they're only slightly taller than you.

Which goes against other industrys that use the same term. If a game with piss-poor graphics (basic 3D) and crap AI was released for the Wii U, who would call it next-gen?

Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

Which goes against other industrys that use the same term. If a game with piss-poor graphics (basic 3D) and crap AI was released for the Wii U, who would call it next-gen?

I'd call it a crappy next gen game. ;)

curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

Then what makes the 360 elite not 8th gen? If we're ignoring hardware, it's a successor, no? Same with the PS3 slim etc. 

Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

Then what makes the 360 elite not 8th gen? If we're ignoring hardware, it's a successor, no? Same with the PS3 slim etc. 

I dont know why you bring that up in every thread.  It is a revision of hardware. Not an actual upgrade into next generation.