By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To Clear up confusion on what makes Next-Generation

Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
The successor to a 7th gen console is 8th gen, just like your kids are in the next generation even if they're only slightly taller than you.

Which goes against other industrys that use the same term. If a game with piss-poor graphics (basic 3D) and crap AI was released for the Wii U, who would call it next-gen?

I'd call it a crappy next gen game. ;)

Then what makes the 360 elite not 8th gen? If we're ignoring hardware, it's a successor, no? Same with the PS3 slim etc. 

Because by brand they are still a 360, a PS3, etc.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
The successor to a 7th gen console is 8th gen, just like your kids are in the next generation even if they're only slightly taller than you.

Which goes against other industrys that use the same term. If a game with piss-poor graphics (basic 3D) and crap AI was released for the Wii U, who would call it next-gen?

Then what makes the 360 elite not 8th gen? If we're ignoring hardware, it's a successor, no? Same with the PS3 slim etc. 

I dont know why you bring that up in every thread.  It is a revision of hardware. Not an actual upgrade into next generation.

That means you are then looking at hardware. I'm pointing out an obvious contradiction in you're thinking. 

"Hardware doesn't matter, but it does if it's a revision"

Lolwut. That's some arbitrary reasoning. 
Also you just said "upgrade". How is improved power consumption not an upgrade? How much of an upgrade is needed? Why was the xbox not 7th gen? It was an upgrade when compared to the existing consoles...

curl-6 said:
Mazty said:

Yeah but they've better power consumption. Why does that not count?
And why was the xbox not 7th gen? It was better than the PS2 and GC...

Mazty said:
JayWood2010 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

I dont know why you bring that up in every thread.  It is a revision of hardware. Not an actual upgrade into next generation.

That means you are then looking at hardware. I'm pointing out an obvious contradiction in you're thinking. 

Also you just said "upgrade". How is improved power consumption not an upgrade? How much of an upgrade is needed? Why was the xbox not 7th gen? It was an upgrade when compared to the existing consoles...

Do you even listen to yourself when you speak?  Numerous peopl has tried explaining it to you but you just keep coming back

Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:

Yeah but they've better power consumption. Why does that not count?
And why was the xbox not 7th gen? It was better than the PS2 and GC...

Because it's not a new iteration, otherwise it would be called PS4, not PS3.

And the Xbox was in the same gen as Gamecube and PS2 because it launched around the same time.

Around the Network

The Wii U is indeed a next gen console, it is after all an 8th generation machine who is the spiritual successor to it's 7th generation console the Wii.

The main problem which causes confusion is 'hardware performance', you see despite the Wii U actually being an 8th generation console by definition, it's hardware performance is that of the 7th generation machine, this is why the Wii U often gets labelled as a 7th gen console.

Generation by Definition:
Gen5: N64, Saturn, PS1
Gen6: GCN, Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast (the forgotten console)
Gen7: Wii, X360, PS3
Gen8: WiiU, X720, PS4

Generation by hardware Performance;
Gen5: N64, Saturn, PS1
Gen6: Wii, GCN, Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast (the forgotten console)
Gen7: WiiU, X360, PS3
Gen8: X720, PS4

Hardware performance is very important, not only because it allows for prettier graphics and the like, it also allows for other non gaming services. Seeing as the technology industry is moving towards convergence, so too are the console. Currently there are two products, Mobile phones and TV's who have in recent times gone from basic functions to devices which support computer like entertainment with Smart phones and Smart TV's.

I see consoles as being the 3rd pillar to this convergence, Both Sony and Microsoft clearly see this and have been moving in that direction since the PS3 and Xbox360 launched, Nintendo however, are just getting the feet wet but have a long way to go.

I know Nintendo fans will tout that it's all about the games, and how Nintendo is providing a unique gaming experience, while true, the era of 'just' a gaming devices are over, we are now in an era of convergence, meaning gaming console will have to provide service other than gaming to stay relevant. This is something that both Sony and Microsoft understand, but Nintendo seems to lack... The sad thing is, is that Nintendo fans deserve better, in fact Nintendo fans should demand for better, complacency will not help keep Nintendo relevant in the years to come. Fans should always demand for more.

Anyways, thats how I see things, take it as you like.

JayWood2010 said:
Mazty said:
JayWood2010 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

Do you even listen to yourself when you speak?  Numerous peopl has tried explaining it to you but you just keep coming back

No, numerous people stop replying when I point out the contradiction in their argument. You just said hardware requires an upgrade to be next gen. Now, why does improved power consumption not count? And why was the GC not a gen above the PS2, or the xbox a gen above the GC?

Mazty said:
JayWood2010 said:
Mazty said:
JayWood2010 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

No, numerous people stop replying when I point out the contradiction in their argument. You just said hardware requires an upgrade to be next gen. Now, why does improved power consumption not count? And why was the GC not a gen above the PS2, or the xbox a gen above the GC?

They stop replying to you because you are ridiculous and have faulty arguments.  It is pointless to debate with you because you wont admit when you are wong and then just say the same thing over and over again.

listen the numbers as i said in the OP is based off of a generation of hardware.  WiiU would make the 8th generation in hardware as it is the next gen of the wii.  It falls into the 8th generation of hardware just like the PS2 (the weakest console in the 6th) was a 6th generation console.  I'm trying to be reasonable with you here but all my OP was trying to explain is what the generations stand for.  If you want to say the WiiU is powerless and sucks, that is fine by me.  But it still falls in the 8th gen of hardware whether you like that or not

Mazty said:

I explained this in my last post. Top of the page.

JayWood2010 said:
Mazty said:

They stop replying to you because you are ridiculous and have faulty arguments.  It is pointless to debate with you because you wont admit when you are wong and then just say the same thing over and over again.

listen the numbers as i said in the OP is based off of a generation of hardware.  WiiU would make the 8th generation in hardware as it is the next gen of the wii.  It falls into the 8th generation of hardware just like the PS2 (the weakest console in the 6th) was a 6th generation console.  I'm trying to be reasonable with you here but all my OP was trying to explain is what the generations stand for.  If you want to say the WiiU is powerless and sucks, that is fine by me.  But it still falls in the 8th gen of hardware whether you like that or not

Dude, I've a science degree. I know exactly how to argue and spot poor arguments. Using arbitrary rules is a piss-poor argument that doesn't stand up to scrutiny whatsoever. You have resorted to personal attacks instead of dealing with the content of my post. 

Now I ask again: 

"You said hardware requires an upgrade to be next gen. Now, why does improved power consumption not count? And why was the GC not a gen above the PS2, or the xbox a gen above the GC?"

So then the PS1 and xbox have no generations as they are not successors of anything? 

Your OP is filled with numerous holes as shown above. If it was true than first attempt consoles have no generation, and there is no reason why the 360 elite shouldn't be 8th gen as it shows an upgrade over the original model.