By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MCV: "Devil May Cry fans to blame for DmC sales disappointment"

They got mad they changed dante so they did not buy the game.
Maybe capcom will bring back old dante next game

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
thismeintiel said:
curl-6 said:
I can't comment on the quality of the game itself, but the kind of fanboys who are so deathly afraid of change that they throw a hissy fit over the colour of a character's hair.. seriously guys? Seriously?

Many great games came about by companies dropping comfortable old conventions, and many bad games were made as a result of companies trying too hard to please closed minded, conservative fans.

I'm just going to copy/paste a response I made in a similar thread, as it works perfect for your baseless comment.

I also find it ridiculous that all of the DmC supporters really have nothing to attack the DMC fans with except Dante's hair color.  It just shows you really have no argument against them, and therefore must make the original fans out to be shallow gamers.  As if NT could have still turned Dante into a scrawny emo (who's personality we hate), and made all those poor changes to the combat and controls, and we would have eaten it up as long as his hair was white.  Also, to imply that no one gave the game a chance?  It had a demo on Live and PSN, which is where ALL the complaints about gameplay/control and difficulty came from.  AFTER people played the demo.  DMC fans did give it a chance, didn't like it, so therefore voted with their wallets.  And there most likely won't be a DmC sequel becuse of it.  You just need to accept it and move on, without bashing those fans.

That comment doesn't really address mine as I am clearly referring to the hair colour whiners, not everyone who disliked the game. I also never implied that nobody gave the game a chance.

You do realize that there is NO ONE who hated this game purely on his hair color?  When the first image was shown, yes, a lot of people hated it.  But that was more because he looked like a crackhead emo kid, not because he didn't have white hair.  Then, when the demo came out, fans moved on to more substantive complaints, like difficulty, controls, and combat.  The only ones who continually brought up the hair was the people defending the game, just so they could make the original fans, in their minds at least, look like shallow gamers.  Of course, this was far from the truth.  And they have voted with their wallets.

seiya19 said:
think-man said:
Change his hair back and you'll get 500k more sales lol

You mean like this ?

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/18/dress-dmc-dante-like-classic-dante/

500k sales increase confirmed !

Confirmed!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Bayonetta has great gameplay but sucks everywhere else...

sure whatever, honestly i have simply lost the will to either defend Bayonetta or elaborate on DmC. i've done it again and again and frankly i'm too tired.

capcom's greed driven endeavor failed

What greed? It's their IP and DMC was going nowhere without Kamiya, so they decided to usher in a new era with a revitalized DMC that doesn't depend upon Kamiya and guess what? Outside of DMC3 it turned out to be an all around game. Bayonetta will forever lack in the exact same departments because Kamiya just doesn't getit.

Going nowhere? Hideaki Itsuno directed DMC3 and thats widely considered the best DMC game and highest selling according to Vgchartz (special edition included).

thismeintiel said:
curl-6 said:
thismeintiel said:
curl-6 said:
I can't comment on the quality of the game itself, but the kind of fanboys who are so deathly afraid of change that they throw a hissy fit over the colour of a character's hair.. seriously guys? Seriously?

Many great games came about by companies dropping comfortable old conventions, and many bad games were made as a result of companies trying too hard to please closed minded, conservative fans.

I'm just going to copy/paste a response I made in a similar thread, as it works perfect for your baseless comment.

I also find it ridiculous that all of the DmC supporters really have nothing to attack the DMC fans with except Dante's hair color.  It just shows you really have no argument against them, and therefore must make the original fans out to be shallow gamers.  As if NT could have still turned Dante into a scrawny emo (who's personality we hate), and made all those poor changes to the combat and controls, and we would have eaten it up as long as his hair was white.  Also, to imply that no one gave the game a chance?  It had a demo on Live and PSN, which is where ALL the complaints about gameplay/control and difficulty came from.  AFTER people played the demo.  DMC fans did give it a chance, didn't like it, so therefore voted with their wallets.  And there most likely won't be a DmC sequel becuse of it.  You just need to accept it and move on, without bashing those fans.

That comment doesn't really address mine as I am clearly referring to the hair colour whiners, not everyone who disliked the game. I also never implied that nobody gave the game a chance.

You do realize that there is NO ONE who hated this game purely on his hair color?  When the first image was shown, yes, a lot of people hated it.  But that was more because he looked like a crackhead emo kid, not because he didn't have white hair.  Then, when the demo came out, fans moved on to more substanative complaints, like difficulty, controls, and combat.  The only ones who continually brought up the hair was the people defending the game, just so they could make the original fans, in their minds at least, look like shallow gamers.  Of course, this was far from the truth.  And they have voted with their wallets.

I see people all over the web still bitching about the character's new look, including his hair. Those are the ones I'm having a go at, because it's  such an insignificant thing to complain about.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
thismeintiel said:
curl-6 said:

You do realize that there is NO ONE who hated this game purely on his hair color?  When the first image was shown, yes, a lot of people hated it.  But that was more because he looked like a crackhead emo kid, not because he didn't have white hair.  Then, when the demo came out, fans moved on to more substanative complaints, like difficulty, controls, and combat.  The only ones who continually brought up the hair was the people defending the game, just so they could make the original fans, in their minds at least, look like shallow gamers.  Of course, this was far from the truth.  And they have voted with their wallets.

I see people all over the web still bitching about the character's new look, including his hair. Those are the ones I'm having a go at, because it's  such an insignificant thing to complain about.

So, you admit it has more to do with then just his hair?  That's good.  Also, the look of a character isn't exactly insignificant, especially when that character has garnered a rather large fanbase and has been around for 10+ years.  I highly doubt Nintendo fans would be a okay if Nintendo decded for the next Mario game they would make Mario obese (instead of just pudgy) and Luigi a midgit, as well as make their hair and mustache blonde.  It just wouldn't fly and would get plenty of criticism. 

Besides, if you actually questioned them, I'm sure most would tell you what they don't like gameplaywise, whether it be the combat or controls.  Which using the Mario comparison, again, would be like having to hold down the right shoulder button to run and hitting the A button to jump.  That wouldn't be looked too kindly upon.

thismeintiel said:
curl-6 said:
thismeintiel said:
curl-6 said:

So, you admit it has more to do with then just his hair?  That's good.  Also, the look of a character isn't exactly insignificant, especially when that character has garnered a rather large fanbase and has been around for 10+ years.  I highly doubt Nintendo fans would be a okay if Nintendo decded for the next Mario game they would make Mario obese (instead of just pudgy) and Luigi a midgit, as well as make their hair and mustache blonde.  It just wouldn't fly and would get plenty of criticism. 

Besides, if you actually questioned them, I'm sure most would tell you what they don't like gameplaywise, whether it be the combat or controls.  Which using the Mario comparison, again, would be like having to hold down the right shoulder button to run and hitting the A button to jump.  That wouldn't be looked too kindly upon.

I'm just saying what I've read. You're the first person I've heard give actual gameplay reasons for disliking it instead of just complaining about dante looking "emo". I haven't played any of the DMC games so I can't comment on quality.

As someone who loves Mario games, I couldn't care less if they made Mario blonde and obese and Luigi a midget.

A203D said:

Well I don't actually think the fans had much if anything to do with the cut in forecast sales.

Which really arn't that bad. They've forecast 1.2 mil by the end of the financial year (March 2013), down from 2 mil.

That dosen't prevent the game selling after March 2013. Its too early to say anything after 2 weeks of sales. But you have to think, DMC4 was a launch title, would DmC have faired better as a PS4/720 launch title?

If DMC5 came out 3 weeks ago would it have sold more than 2 mil copies? Personally I don't so. I think the game hasn't had a chance yet. Give it a few months then we'll see.

The other thing is I think Capcom would be smart releasing a special edition next year for the PS4/720. I'm sure the game will have good momentum. Give the game a chance first, its been only 2 weeks. Bayonetta didn't sell much in the first 2 weeks either, but it went on to sell 1.91 copies. This game will be fine!

You are now using Bayonetta as a measure of being "fine" ? I love Bayo but I don't think it made profit. 

But a DmC special edition is a great idea dude, remember that game you didn't bough the first time on last gen consoles and that is on the bargain bin right now selling for 15$? Well here it is again for 60$ for PS4/720. 

That worked for RE4 Wii Edition but only because of the motion controls.

Are they for real?

How about "Campcom destroys own brand out of greed," or "Ninja Theory destroys niche darling out of incompetence."

And what exactly is so bad about selling 1.2 million copies in two months?

SHELF LIFE, people.

Nintendo can't be the only company who is able to achieve this.

zero129 said:

Well this is pretty wrong, just go back a few months ago before they got a chance to play the demo (the demo was crap btw and its what they use to base theo whole auguments on) and the change of dantes style was their main reason for hating. So maybe thats why. Except now they try using faults in the demo (did i say the demo was crap compared to the main game?) to try make their points valid, except it just makes their points less valid. You can always pick out someone who has played the game from someone who has only played the demo or not played the game at all.

Tbh it's not down to the consumer if the demo is crap, the full game is much better but to cock up the demo something that's meant to convince people to buy it is a massive mistake they can only blame themselves for, if someone plays a crap demo then why should they pick up the full game? I never got the chance to try the demo which lead to me picking the game up instead but from what I've heard the demo may very well had put me off.