By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MCV: "Devil May Cry fans to blame for DmC sales disappointment"

Not a fan of DMC - but I think I can relate - I'm thinking, what would my reaction be if Geralt from Witcher got the modernization overhaul similar to Dante...not a pretty picture...

Around the Network

If you're a fan of a food item, and the success of that food item is largely down to the taste, you shouldn't complain when you changed the taste and the pre-established customers that liked the old taste , think "what the hell, it isn't as tasty anymore, i'm not buying it again" leaving only those who still like the flavor and those that bought it to see how it tastes, as your customer base.

Basically, if you change the flavor, be prepared for potential failure, don't turn around and blame the people that used to buy it for not buying it, learn from your mistake or shut up.

I haven't played it, played 1-3, skipped 4 because i was already tired of the gameplay - don't see a point in picking up DmC because it just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Rafux said:
A203D said:
That is a sensationalist article. This is a sales site. I encourage users to check the numbers:

DMC4 week 1/2 sales: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/39481/Global/

DmC week 1 sales: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41294/Global/

Year on year sales are down. This game is coming in at the end of the console cycle.

And DMC4 had much weaker competition.

Capcom made those sales predictions last year assuming the game would enter the market in the same conditions as DMC4.

The point is its just a bad time to release a new IP or a reboot. DmC has actually done pretty well in my opinion. What Capcom need to do now is release a special edition of the game next year in the same conditions DMC4 entered the market. Because this game isn't about DMC fans buying the game, its about getting new players to do that. New players WILL NOT buy this game at this point in the console cycle.

Personally I think the sales are good, not great, not bad, but good!

Forecast lowered from 5M to 2M, then from 2M to 1.2M

Yea I'm sure Capcom is very happy with this good numbers, but keep spining it I enjoy all the delicious tears.

The article in the OP is a 'spin' itself.

Are these so called DMC fans to blame for the year on year decline of every game in the chart?

DMC4 came out as a launch title, with much weaker comeptition.

Capcom should've waited until the PS4/720 launch to relaunch the DMC brand, it was dangerous releasing a reboot or a new IP at this stage in a consoles life cycle.

Capcom still have that option by releasing a special edtion of the game, like they did for DMC3 or Resdent Evil 5, to relaunch the game on the new consoles.

That being said, Capcom have never said they expected DmC to sell 5 mil copies. They forecast 2 mil sales for the end of the fiscal year (March 2013). The game won't immeditiately stop selling after March 2013. We have two weeks of sales data. I don't make predictions about games after two weeks of data.

Capcom made those sales predictions under the impression DmC would end the same market DMC4, that is not the case. That was their mistake! Either way I think the game will do fine. Its sold 0.7 mil copies in two weeks, thats not actually that bad!

Complaining that people judge the game on the demo is stupid.

It's like making a terrible movie trailer, and then complaining that people judge the movie on the trailer.

If you wanted people to not judge your game on a terrible demo, then YOU SHOULD HAVE MADE A GOOD DEMO INSTEAD.

Around the Network
JGarret said:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capcom-almost-halves-dmc-sales-expectations/0110372

DmC: Devil May Cry is going to fall well short of Capcom’s initial expectations for the game.

Capcom had originally forecast sales of 2m units by the end of its financial year. That has now been lowered to just 1.2m units, Eurogamer reports.

In its first week on sale in the UK the game sold just a third of the number of copies shifted by its predecessor Devil May Cry 4 in the same time period. In Japan it managed around half the sales of DMC4.

It’s potentially a sad end to a tale brought about very much by the fans themselves. Anyone who played Devil May Cry 4 must surely of seen how desperately the IP needed an injection of new ideas and modernisation – which is exactly what the skilful Ninja Theory achieved.

Yet the fans revolted because Capcom dared to reinvent its IP for the 21st century and dared to change the colour of Dante’s hair. It’s really very sad.

A headline suggested by a colleague: “Devil May Cry fans destroy brand out of spite.” That about covers it.

The news comes as Capcom reports a sharp surge in profits.

All I can say is....Well DUH!!! Those who actually love DMC grew up during the PS2 days and love Dante for being what he is. Re inventing him into this emo piece of crap = not Dante anymore.

Naturally, those who grew to love Dante for being Dante wont relate well with this new Emo piece of crap.

Serves CAPCOM right! Infact, asside from SF X TK, and mainly for the Tekken part, I haven't bought any CAPCOM games in more than 2 years. I say, let them burn along with SE. 

curl-6 said:
thismeintiel said:
curl-6 said:

That comment doesn't really address mine as I am clearly referring to the hair colour whiners, not everyone who disliked the game. I also never implied that nobody gave the game a chance.

You do realize that there is NO ONE who hated this game purely on his hair color?  When the first image was shown, yes, a lot of people hated it.  But that was more because he looked like a crackhead emo kid, not because he didn't have white hair.  Then, when the demo came out, fans moved on to more substanative complaints, like difficulty, controls, and combat.  The only ones who continually brought up the hair was the people defending the game, just so they could make the original fans, in their minds at least, look like shallow gamers.  Of course, this was far from the truth.  And they have voted with their wallets.

I see people all over the web still bitching about the character's new look, including his hair. Those are the ones I'm having a go at, because it's  such an insignificant thing to complain about.

I have to disagree, its quite significant. Those bithcing about how they changed dante's apearance, plus they made his hair black are those who started playing DMC duirng the PS2 era and actually loved the franchise and Dante. They liked the game play, they liked Dante for being Dante. Now, you take away the white hair, his traditional costumes, everthing and then you turn him into this black haired emo guy who doesnt remotely look like what Dante use to look like, then you got a new character with the same name. But that new character isn't "Dante", he's some new emo crap ass with the same name.

ITs one thing to modernize something or even re-invent someone, it happens all the time in comics, like how Thor has gone through a bunch of costume and look changes but he still retained his features. The golden long hair, that hammer and stuff. Even superman has gone through a bunch of iterations, but clearly, even with different costumes, power sets and shit, he still looked liked Superman. Now if you changed the face, thats not superman anymore.

It would have been better if CAPCOM rebooted the franchise with that new emo dood but instead of making him dante, they should have instead made a new character. Much like how Konami tried to pass the tourch to Raiden from Snake in Metal Gear, it didn't work much but at least people didnt bitch about why Soldi suddenly turned into this new guy.

Another example would by Ryu in Breath of FIre. Inevery breath of fire game from 1-4 (didnt bother with 5), Ryu has always been the dragon child. But in every iteration, the story has always been different, the back story, the plot, everything was not the same, but Ryu stayed constant as the dragon child with blue hair. Different story, different settings, same character, with zero explanation as to why he's the hero again..worked for me.

Mess with the story, mess with the plot, mess with the origin, but never ever mess with the established character itself.  I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that its not a big deal that they changed Dante is just plain stupid and Ignorant.  Its like Lucas going, hey, lets go re-make starwars, but instead of luke with the blond hair and black overalls, lets make the main into a huge ass muscle guy with green glasses! yeah! that'll work and no one will mind.

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

They cant just bring back Kamiya after he left them for Platinum Games. Bayonetta has great gameplay but sucks everywhere else from camera to, presentation, story character balance and more. Gameplay is Kamiyas nitch and thats it.

Bayonetta doesn't suck in presentation, the graphics and music are awesome. But at any rate, I'd say 80% of a game's value is gameplay, so that's the important part.

Sure if you're into the decades late, choppy, rather than fluid animations and stylistic approach. I loved the game but it lacked everywhere but gameplay. Gameplay is important  but if you want the world to be believable thats you must formulate all accordingly to make one great cohesive unit. I respect your opinion though, but I love all hack n slash. My argument is that compared to the Japanese made ones westerners focus on polish in animations and creating an all around package ontop of gameplay. The best I've ever seen from the Japanese as an all around hack n slash was probably Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (pointless storyline though) and Devil May Cry 3.

ils411 said:
curl-6 said:
thismeintiel said:
curl-6 said:

That comment doesn't really address mine as I am clearly referring to the hair colour whiners, not everyone who disliked the game. I also never implied that nobody gave the game a chance.

You do realize that there is NO ONE who hated this game purely on his hair color?  When the first image was shown, yes, a lot of people hated it.  But that was more because he looked like a crackhead emo kid, not because he didn't have white hair.  Then, when the demo came out, fans moved on to more substanative complaints, like difficulty, controls, and combat.  The only ones who continually brought up the hair was the people defending the game, just so they could make the original fans, in their minds at least, look like shallow gamers.  Of course, this was far from the truth.  And they have voted with their wallets.

I see people all over the web still bitching about the character's new look, including his hair. Those are the ones I'm having a go at, because it's  such an insignificant thing to complain about.

I have to disagree, its quite significant. Those bithcing about how they changed dante's apearance, plus they made his hair black are those who started playing DMC duirng the PS2 era and actually loved the franchise and Dante. They liked the game play, they liked Dante for being Dante. Now, you take away the white hair, his traditional costumes, everthing and then you turn him into this black haired emo guy who doesnt remotely look like what Dante use to look like, then you got a new character with the same name. But that new character isn't "Dante", he's some new emo crap ass with the same name.

ITs one thing to modernize something or even re-invent someone, it happens all the time in comics, like how Thor has gone through a bunch of costume and look changes but he still retained his features. The golden long hair, that hammer and stuff. Even superman has gone through a bunch of iterations, but clearly, even with different costumes, power sets and shit, he still looked liked Superman. Now if you changed the face, thats not superman anymore.

It would have been better if CAPCOM rebooted the franchise with that new emo dood but instead of making him dante, they should have instead made a new character. Much like how Konami tried to pass the tourch to Raiden from Snake in Metal Gear, it didn't work much but at least people didnt bitch about why Soldi suddenly turned into this new guy.

Another example would by Ryu in Breath of FIre. Inevery breath of fire game from 1-4 (didnt bother with 5), Ryu has always been the dragon child. But in every iteration, the story has always been different, the back story, the plot, everything was not the same, but Ryu stayed constant as the dragon child with blue hair. Different story, different settings, same character, with zero explanation as to why he's the hero again..worked for me.

Mess with the story, mess with the plot, mess with the origin, but never ever mess with the established character itself.  I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that its not a big deal that they changed Dante is just plain stupid and Ignorant.  Its like Lucas going, hey, lets go re-make starwars, but instead of luke with the blond hair and black overalls, lets make the main into a huge ass muscle guy with green glasses! yeah! that'll work and no one will mind.

Superman Red & Blue comes to mind. Anyone remember that?

ils411 said:
curl-6 said:
thismeintiel said:
curl-6 said:

I guess nobody could have said it better than you did. Great post.