All Guns, except Hunting Rifles 16 6.40%

Just Handguns, they serve... 2 0.80%

Just Semi-Auto Rifles, a bit overkill 11 4.40%

None, but we should make ... 27 10.80%

None, we have a right to carry weapons 43 17.20%

None, I still don't beli... 42 16.80%

See Results 21 8.40%

Total:249

I'm against banning guns for two main reasons. First, whenever you try to ban something like that, it only makes things worse. We tried to ban alcohol in the 1920's and created criminal empires as a direct result. Then there's the war on drugs. We currently see how well that's going. We don't need that with guns. The second reason is I would be fearful to live in any country where the only ones with the guns are those in power.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
No. Next topic.

This. 

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

This topic has been talked about to death on this forum, and so I (like many others here) don't see any reason to regurgitate what I've said in other threads. So, I will instead mix it up a little bit and make a point that is related but not necessarily one I've touched upon before.

I don't think government prohibitions in general are a good idea. The most obvious example is the prohibition of alcohol in the early 20th century. There are a multitude of more modern examples, though. Drugs, like marijuana or cocaine. Why are they illegal? Prescription drugs being so heavily-regulated? It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, to be honest.

Unless you're of the opinion that the government exists to protect people from their own stupidity and treat us like children, then I don't see how you can honestly say you agree with government-enforced prohibitions.

Prohibitions lead to more crime, they drive these products/ substances underground into a black market. They do far more harm than good. You have police officers breaking down people's doors arresting a father of two for suspected marijuana possession in the middle of the night. It's a LEAF, for crying out loud.

It costs lots of money, all of which is a total waste of resources. It distracts from using law enforcement doing other things, like catching drunk drivers or tracking down thieves. You know, things that are actually important.

Just allow me to paint a picture, here: We, as taxpayers, are taxed in order for some group of federal bureaucrats to run ads on television and radio to try and tell people how bad drug and alcohol abuse is. Well you know what? Not only is that way too much government, but it's the parents or guardians job to teach that to their kids, not the government's.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

HesAPooka said:
brendude13 said:

No, I meant Austria, it's highest on the first chart you posted. I don't know what to say about this one either. Sweden in 4th!?

Maybe it's something to do with the country's definition of a violent crime, or how it is reported?

Sweden and other nordic countries have high instances of rape, but the issue here is gun related homicides. Not bar fights etc.

I mentioned to my friend today that Sweden was in 4th in the world when it came to violent crimes. He also mentioned they have a high rate of rapes and said it's because each time somebody is raped, even if it's by the same person, it is counted separately. So if a woman claims that her husband had raped her every day for the past year, that would go down as 365 incidents of rape.

I say those statistics are completely broken and are dependent on how a country defines what crimes are violent crimes and how they count them. You're right, this is about homicides, not violent crime. I'd rather be bruised and beaten in a bar fight than dead.

brendude13 said:
HesAPooka said:
brendude13 said:

No, I meant Austria, it's highest on the first chart you posted. I don't know what to say about this one either. Sweden in 4th!?

Maybe it's something to do with the country's definition of a violent crime, or how it is reported?

Sweden and other nordic countries have high instances of rape, but the issue here is gun related homicides. Not bar fights etc.

I mentioned to my friend today that Sweden was in 4th in the world when it came to violent crimes. He also mentioned they have a high rate of rapes and said it's because each time somebody is raped, even if it's by the same person, it is counted separately. So if a woman claims that her husband had raped her every day for the past year, that would go down as 365 incidents of rape.

I say those statistics are completely broken and are dependent on how a country defines what crimes are violent crimes and how they count them. You're right, this is about homicides, not violent crime. I'd rather be bruised and beaten in a bar fight than dead.

Actualy that hasn't been true in a while.  These numbers treated all cases the same.

Sweeden just naturally has more rape... as can be seen here.

http://www.thelocal.se/19102/20090427/#.URPjxGf0-f8

http://www.thelocal.se/19124/20090428/#.URPk52f0-f8

(Two differnet articles from the same sweedish newspaper.)

Also you know... that wouldn't explain the extra... 1,000 violent crimes.  Rape is such a small number it's barely a factor.

It's the real reason why Sweeden went after Julian Assange.

Additionally it's 46 per 100,000.  So Rape isn't largely effecting the number.

Around the Network
Jon-Erich said:
I'm against banning guns for two main reasons. First, whenever you try to ban something like that, it only makes things worse. We tried to ban alcohol in the 1920's and created criminal empires as a direct result. Then there's the war on drugs. We currently see how well that's going. We don't need that with guns. The second reason is I would be fearful to live in any country where the only ones with the guns are those in power.

We have very strict gun laws in the UK and everything is fine. Massacres are very very rare, i can only think of 2 in the last 15 years. Stabbings are far more likely here, but only in London really. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Kasz216 said:
brendude13 said:

Actualy that hasn't been true in a while.  These numbers treated all cases the same.

Also you know... that wouldn't explain the extra... 1,000 violent crimes.  Rape is such a small number it's barely a factor.

I didn't say rape accounted for the extra 1,000 violent crimes, I was just using it as an example of how what is defined as a violent crime and how it is counted varies from country to country.

I find it hard to believe that Sweden is a more dangerous place to live in than the US, let alone half as dangerous. The same applies to the other 5 or so countries that seemed far too high on that list.

brendude13 said:
Kasz216 said:
brendude13 said:

I didn't say rape accounted for the extra 1,000 violent crimes, I was just using it as an example of how what is defined as a violent crime and how it is counted varies from country to country.

I find it hard to believe that Sweden is a more dangerous place to live in than the US, let alone half as dangerous. The same applies to the other 5 or so countries that seemed far too high on that list.

When you take inner cities out of the equation america is really safe place. Also fighting is far more common in europe than the US.

No, we need more guns so that we can avoid the homicides committed by people with guns who easily got the guns from its widespread availability.

I think tanks are a viable option. I mean why not right?

Yay!!!

umm banning guns is def not enough and wont change anything much.