Just Semi-Auto Rifles, a bit overkill 11 4.40%

None, but we should make ... 27 10.80%

None, we have a right to carry weapons 43 17.20%

None, I still don't beli... 42 16.80%

See Results 21 8.40%

Total:249
thranx said:
Michael-5 said:

Pepper Spray is available in different concentrations. One of my friends tried it out to see if it worked, 300lb, down in a second. Tasers work too, but you gotta hold them down.

As for your edit, yea, maybe in those neighbourhoods you need one. However that doesn't mean you shouldn't have stricter Gun Regulations. In Canada, if you don't live or work in a high crime neighbourhood, it's much harder to get a gun, and it should be like that in the States.

I also said countless times that Drugs are a much bigger issue then Guns.

It is, but its just not very effective, especially on someone who is angered, or under the influence of drugs. I am sure getting the chance to directly spray a non angered non moving person gets results, but some one who is attacking, charging, and mmoving, and blicking there eyes will not be effected as much. If anything its better to use wasp spray, as I tell any one I care about wasp spray is the best self defence weapon next to a gun. Again with a tazer you have to hold it down, you have to be with in arms reach. Having brother and sisters I know how easy it is to grab and disable a persons arm so they cant hurt you with something. This makes it an ineefective self defence weapon where you are dealing with someone who is holding still.

LOL Yea Wasp Spray and Bear Spray (Wide Shot specifically designed for attacking Bears) might work better then Pepper Spray, I don't know. However for 1 on 1 encounters Pepper Spray is just as effective as a gun. I tried to look up a link to verify this because I heard it on the news, but I can't find one, but with a spray, you din't need a line of sight to spray, and you can have the weapon right up to your chest and use it in a confined place.

As for Tasers, wouldn't most crimes be committed at arms reach? If someone was trying to rape you in a park, they would likely sneak up on you. Guns are only effective at a range, so I could argue the same point back.

I think the main thing is, crime/gangs, aren't as prevalent as they are in the USA. People don't attack each other with guns here, and in the rare event that they do, most Canadians think a bit and just let the person rob us. No point risking your life for property. In the clause of rape, I can't see a gun being an effective, short distance weapon of intimidation. I knife would probably be a better weapon for an attacker, and in that case, you are already close range, so pepper spray is probably a better solution.

Also, I'm not sure about the USA, but our colleges and universities (community college and college in USA) are filled with Emergency Stations. There is always a tall red pole with a big red button you can run to to press for help and within a minute or two, either the Police or Campus Police will come to the rescue. Police here are efficient, and readily available in places more likely to see rape/crime (I would imagine a school would be a good place to commit a rape since girls are younger).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

yes, america should put a ban on guns & its people should end their love affair with owning them.

Kasz216 said:
HesAPooka said:

http://mops.gov.il/English/ResearchAndDevelopmentENG/Pages/ViolenceIndex.aspx

I don't know what to make of this chart since every graph I've seen has the US places highest among the developed countries in gun related homicides per capita.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

HesAPooka said:
Kasz216 said:
HesAPooka said:

I don't know what to make of this chart since every graph I've seen has the US places highest among the developed countries in gun related homicides per capita.

It is the highest for gun related homicides per capita. 

This isn't gun related homicides per capita.  It's violent crimes... which is a compliation of Homicides, assaults, rape, battery and other violent crimes.

Kasz216 said:
HesAPooka said:
Kasz216 said:

This isn't gun related homicides per capita.  It's violent crimes... which is a compliation of Homicides, assaults, rape, battery and other violent crimes.

Those statistics don't seem right at all. Austria, New Zealand and Canada are considered some of the safest countries on the planet.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
Kasz216 said:
HesAPooka said:
Kasz216 said:

Those statistics don't seem right at all. Austria, New Zealand and Canada are considered some of the safest countries on the planet.

Don't know what to tell you... outside the fact that they are the only numbers you can find and are widely cited... over a number of years

Assuming you meant Australia instead of Austria.... and Australia is notorious for how easy it is to get into a bar fight.

Here's another one... with the UK sadly moving up the list.  Canada moving down.  Australia and New Zealand are off this one.  Though the US isn't on there either.

Kasz216 said:
brendude13 said:

Don't know what to tell you... outside the fact that they are the only numbers you can find and are widely cited... over a number of years

Assuming you meant Australia instead of Austria.... and Australia is notorious for how easy it is to get into a bar fight.

Here's another one... with the UK sadly moving up the list.  Canada moving down.  Australia and New Zealand are off this one.  Though the US isn't on there either.

No, I meant Austria, it's highest on the first chart you posted. I don't know what to say about this one either. Sweden in 4th!?

Maybe it's something to do with the country's definition of a violent crime, or how it is reported?

brendude13 said:
Kasz216 said:
brendude13 said:

No, I meant Austria, it's highest on the first chart you posted. I don't know what to say about this one either. Sweden in 4th!?

Maybe it's something to do with the country's definition of a violent crime, or how it is reported?

Sweden and other nordic countries have high instances of rape, but the issue here is gun related homicides. Not bar fights etc.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

HesAPooka said:
brendude13 said:
Kasz216 said:
brendude13 said:

Sweden and other nordic countries have high instances of rape, but the issue here is gun related homicides. Not bar fights etc.iolent crime rates in general are in fact applicable... far more then gun homicides.

Violent crime rates are far more applicable then gun related homicides.

Afterall, gun related homicide vs non-gun related homicide?  What's the point int splitting them up?  You can't kill somone with a gun you'll kill them another way.

However, a supressing effect guns have on other violent crimes?   Pretty applicable i'd say.  Afterall, you are less likely to mug somebody in a concealed carry country don't you think?

EDIT:  PS,  Sweeden's rape rate is 46 per 100,000 so it's a MUCH larger problem then just rape.

Kasz216 said:
HesAPooka said:
brendude13 said:
Kasz216 said:
brendude13 said:

Sweden and other nordic countries have high instances of rape, but the issue here is gun related homicides. Not bar fights etc.iolent crime rates in general are in fact applicable... far more then gun homicides.

Violent crime rates are far more applicable then gun related homicides.

Afterall, gun related homicide vs non-gun related homicide?  What's the point int splitting them up?  You can't kill somone with a gun you'll kill them another way.

However, a supressing effect guns have on other violent crimes?   Pretty applicable i'd say.

Glad you said that cause US ranks higher in homicides amongs devloped countires, AND gun related homicides :). So clearly guns aren't stopping homicides in the states. SInce it ranks highest in both gun related and non gun related homicides per capita amongst delevloped countries. Sure other countries rank high in rape or other violent form of crimes, but that's a whole other issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Either way I'm done replying. No offense to you or anything, but I added my two cents. I wan't looking to argue or anything (not implying you are). Pretty clear stats on the homicide rates with and without guns for US. If you want to keep your guns than keep your guns, but don't come up with bugus stats to make excuses to do so. I'd rather hear hey I want to keep my gun because the risks don't outweight the benefits for me, and sure more people will die, but I like the freedom of having my gun. Just don't try to hide behind backwards stats or start twisting the issue.