None, we have a right to carry weapons 43 17.20%

None, I still don't beli... 42 16.80%

See Results 21 8.40%

Total:249
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:

Well if we're talking about the UK it's worth noting that shootings have INCREASED since the gun ban.  I mean, to repeat the graphic.

Again.... not saying it's related but it's pretty disengenious to suggest that the gun ban have ANYTHING to do with it.  Since well... it's worse there.

As for rampages.... You know who doesn't have mass school shootings at all?  Mexico, the malaligned country complained about in this thread.

That graph doesn't prove your point too well, ORIGINALLY homicides increased from the gun ban in 1997 but clearly peaked in 2003 (18 per million) and have since FALLEN back to the levels seen in the early 1990's (12 per million) and even lower in 2010 to 2012. Murders will happen regardless of the laws in place and even though we have a gun ban in place, shootings themselves are very low. Murder is carried out by other means. In America, a far higher portion of homicides are by a gun.

In the US – population 311.5 million  – there were an estimated 13,756 murders in 2009, a rate of about 5.0 per 100,000 . Of these 9,203 were carried out with a firearm. 67% of homicides carried out with a gun.

In the UK – population 56.1 million  – there were an estimated 550 murders in 2011-12, a rate of about 1.4 per 100,000. Of these 39 were carried out with a firearm. Only 7% of homicides carried out with a gun.

From~http://fleshisgrass.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/us-and-uk-murder-rate-and-weapon-updated/

and gun bans don't work? This shows the opposite. Not only is the murder per 100,000 lower but the use of guns to kill the victims is far lower in the UK. We aren't immune to this crime obviously, but we must be doing something right if crime has been falling every year since 2003. The stats for 2012 show just over half as many homicides when compared to 2003. Also, I just don't believe i would feel safer if i could own a gun.   

Your Murder rate went up... and is now exactly around the level it was before the gun ban.  In what way does that sound like it worked to you?   You can't point to the gun ban having any effect on UK homicides.

As for the US murder rate... lets compare it's shift compaired to the UK rate.

They're... also at early 1990's levels.  Weird that huh?  It's nearly the same trend... which means it's highly likely the handgun ban which the UK has and the US doesn't... has had zero effect.

Claiming the handgun ban works because you have less murders then the US does is like me Claiming that my all cheesecake and milkshake diet works because I was less then Seth Rogan.  He weight liked 100 pounds more then me before i started.

Your new graph compares the last 50 years rather than the last 20, which is a big difference. Other than that, the trend is similar, i agree. But don't you understand why governments act on arms and decide to limit them? In the UK, there was a major school shooting in 1996, comparable to the one in Connecticut last October and our government and the public didn't want an event like that again. A gun ban policy made sense and nearly worked, since there's been only one major massacre since then, which was in 2008 i think.

And i pointed out the crime rate ended up being the same after 20 years to show you that a gun ban only increases the crime rate in the short term and then drops off afterwards (it's still falling now, 10 per million in 2012). But surely if guns aren't readily available, then murder is at least given a 2nd though by the criminal, since most would have to kill with other weapons, instead, like a knife. 

And finally, the comparision between the US and UK was only possible because it was per 100,000 people. US murder rate is still 3x higher than the UK's at the end of it all, the American law must be missing something. Either that, or the economic system is the cause of the problem there. 

I understand WHY governments do it.  Fear and ignorance.  It's the same reasons governments try and ban drugs.

Though actually... my mistake on the graph just makes it worse for your arguement.  Since the US had nothing but a pure drop... vs the UK barely ending up even.

Simply put... statistically the arguement is completely against you.  At least in any way that anyone who uses statistics would use said stats.   Wanting to ban guns ins nothing but rank superstition and ignorance that at best is shown to accomplish nothing, and at worst is shown to be counterproductive.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

"Hey guys: my federal state took away people's negative liberties and I have so much of a Stockholm syndrome complex I love my state for it. You guys should let your federal state do the same! If not, you're crazy and your culture is crazy. "

^ This thread in a nutshell!

Thats exactly what I was thinking

Kasz216 said:
Michael-5 said:
Kasz216 said:

Those were you know... trained law officers... as opposed to you who are... completely making shit up... honestly your just doing your cause a diservice. 

Ok, lets see a hand taser...  Criminal has a gun.  How effective is that hand taser going to be across a room?

Pepperspray... if we're talking gas, you have to be close and risk it backdrafting on you.  If we're talking liquid... hope you have GREAT aim.

The best way for you to convince people to support gun control is to stop argueing since your general lack of information and just making things up is hurting your cause. 

You don't understand us because your uninformed and would rather make untrue and often made up arguements then be informed.

I have experience with pepper spray. I was at a local community college for a concert and in the cafe area people were playing Live Action Role Playing game (D&D with vampires). Well these role players take their shit so seriously that they try to force everyone who isn't involved out. I was shouting across the cafe to one of my friends looking for me and everyone playing thought I was a character in their lame game. One of them got aggressive and came after me. I pulled out pepper spray and warned him not to come any closer. He didn't listen so I sprayed.... He was startled and he stopped coming towards me but he just walked to the bathroom pissed off to wash it out. The guy was an old friend which is why he thought he could be aggressive towards me and I guess he didn't think I was being serious. If it was some random guy I think it would have just pissed him off more and instead of going to the bathroom he would have kept coming.

Also with that same pepper spray, it went off in my bedroom, it made me cough and burned my eyes but I could still function. It was uncomfortable and irritating but not incapacitating. This guy is just really ignorant.

HesAPooka said:
Kasz216 said:
Michael-5 said:

Kasz216 said:

They are also two of the most corrupt countries, and quite poor as well. Police in both countries can easily be bought off. When comparing gun violence in the US we should compare them to other developed countires such as: Canada, England, Norway, Sweden, and Japan. Not Russia, and Mexico.

Thats the dumbest fucking thing I ever heard. Because places are bad places we should ignore them from data... yeah... Let's ignore the US too because breaking the law with firearms in Chicago gets you no jail time.

Michael-5 said:
Viper1 said:

Jay520 said:

Bear Spray (strong Pepper Spray) to stop Bears. If it can stop a bear, it can stop a person.

?

Say WHAAA????? WTF is going on south of the boarder?

I was actually was talking about something like this, and people in Canada would just let them rob us. One of my close friends said to me only a couple weeks ago, and I quote "I'm not getting into a f***en gun fight over property, just let them take my property, it's not worth risking my life over."

No burgler will kill or even harm a victim who isn't resisting. Heck In Canada, we'd probably open the door for them and thank them for not shooting us.

This is the difference between American and Canadian mentality. You don't need a gun, it's a f***en life you're talking about. Mace works for 1 on 1 encounters just as effectively, and in the extremely rare case of a multi person robbery (rare here), most people would just let the robber steal our stuff, and call the police later.

This mentality is so freaking dumb. "I wont get into a gun fight over property." Okay cool... what about having your wife getting raped? By the time you realize the intentions of the burglars it would be too late. They already broke in. They obviously don't care for you or your family. Whats stopping them from doing more harm? It's not like there is a formal greeting where the burglar knocks on the door and says "Good day good sir. I am here to burglarize you. After you close the door I am going to kick it in and steal your property. But fear not. I am only here to make money off your hard work. I don't expect use to have any issues."

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
thranx said:
Michael-5 said:

Pepper Spray is available in different concentrations. One of my friends tried it out to see if it worked, 300lb, down in a second. Tasers work too, but you gotta hold them down.

As for your edit, yea, maybe in those neighbourhoods you need one. However that doesn't mean you shouldn't have stricter Gun Regulations. In Canada, if you don't live or work in a high crime neighbourhood, it's much harder to get a gun, and it should be like that in the States.

I also said countless times that Drugs are a much bigger issue then Guns.

It is, but its just not very effective, especially on someone who is angered, or under the influence of drugs. I am sure getting the chance to directly spray a non angered non moving person gets results, but some one who is attacking, charging, and mmoving, and blicking there eyes will not be effected as much. If anything its better to use wasp spray, as I tell any one I care about wasp spray is the best self defence weapon next to a gun. Again with a tazer you have to hold it down, you have to be with in arms reach. Having brother and sisters I know how easy it is to grab and disable a persons arm so they cant hurt you with something. This makes it an ineefective self defence weapon where you are dealing with someone who is holding still.

LOL Yea Wasp Spray and Bear Spray (Wide Shot specifically designed for attacking Bears) might work better then Pepper Spray, I don't know. However for 1 on 1 encounters Pepper Spray is just as effective as a gun. I tried to look up a link to verify this because I heard it on the news, but I can't find one, but with a spray, you din't need a line of sight to spray, and you can have the weapon right up to your chest and use it in a confined place.

As for Tasers, wouldn't most crimes be committed at arms reach? If someone was trying to rape you in a park, they would likely sneak up on you. Guns are only effective at a range, so I could argue the same point back.

I think the main thing is, crime/gangs, aren't as prevalent as they are in the USA. People don't attack each other with guns here, and in the rare event that they do, most Canadians think a bit and just let the person rob us. No point risking your life for property. In the clause of rape, I can't see a gun being an effective, short distance weapon of intimidation. I knife would probably be a better weapon for an attacker, and in that case, you are already close range, so pepper spray is probably a better solution.

Also, I'm not sure about the USA, but our colleges and universities (community college and college in USA) are filled with Emergency Stations. There is always a tall red pole with a big red button you can run to to press for help and within a minute or two, either the Police or Campus Police will come to the rescue. Police here are efficient, and readily available in places more likely to see rape/crime (I would imagine a school would be a good place to commit a rape since girls are younger).

That should give you a hint that you are wrong shouldn't it...

*Hold up a gun from 10 feet away* "Gimme your purse/backback bitch." "Gimme your car keys" or you could just get shot and your dead body can be ramsacked.... so no... obviously most crimes don't need to be close range. Your ignorance is really showing.

Yeah, the colleges have those distress call buttons... However, "According to American Police Beat, the average response time for an emergency call is 10 minutes. Atlanta has the worst response time with 11 to 12 minutes and Nashville comes in at a lightning speed of 9 minutes." That puts my mind at ease!

Also, "CHICAGO—Police here stopped physically responding to some 911 calls for non-life-threatening issues this week so officers can focus on stemming the city's rising homicide rate, a strategy that other big cities have implemented with sometimes controversial results.

Under the new policy, dispatchers will route 911 calls reporting non-criminal complaints or crimes in which no one is in imminent danger, such as some car thefts and simple assaults, to desk officers who will fill out police reports by phone. The new policy prohibits callers from insisting an officer be sent to the scene, as was allowed before."

So, your getting your ass beat in chicago don't expect a cop to come along.

Kasz216 said:
HesAPooka said:

As for bogus stats... they aren't bogus.  Actually if you look historically at homicide rates.  You'll note homicdes go UP after gun bans.  Not down. 

For a very mild example.

You realize, in the 4 years after the band, homicide rates stayed about the same in UK. That spike in 2003, is 7 years after the band, whatever caused it was probably not the ban on handguns.

Realistically, banning handguns won't do anything. People kill, not because they have the ability to do so, but primarily because a lack of morals, discipline, education, and drug/alcohol abuse. I'm not sure about global statistics, but most homicides in Canada are alcohol related. I think statistically, there are a lot more Manslaughter cases then 1st/2nd degree murder cases combined.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Max King of the Wild said:
Michael-5 said:
Viper1 said:

Jay520 said:

Bear Spray (strong Pepper Spray) to stop Bears. If it can stop a bear, it can stop a person.

?

Say WHAAA????? WTF is going on south of the boarder?

I was actually was talking about something like this, and people in Canada would just let them rob us. One of my close friends said to me only a couple weeks ago, and I quote "I'm not getting into a f***en gun fight over property, just let them take my property, it's not worth risking my life over."

No burgler will kill or even harm a victim who isn't resisting. Heck In Canada, we'd probably open the door for them and thank them for not shooting us.

This is the difference between American and Canadian mentality. You don't need a gun, it's a f***en life you're talking about. Mace works for 1 on 1 encounters just as effectively, and in the extremely rare case of a multi person robbery (rare here), most people would just let the robber steal our stuff, and call the police later.

This mentality is so freaking dumb. "I wont get into a gun fight over property." Okay cool... what about having your wife getting raped? By the time you realize the intentions of the burglars it would be too late. They already broke in. They obviously don't care for you or your family. Whats stopping them from doing more harm? It's not like there is a formal greeting where the burglar knocks on the door and says "Good day good sir. I am here to burglarize you. After you close the door I am going to kick it in and steal your property. But fear not. I am only here to make money off your hard work. I don't expect use to have any issues."

How is this mentality dumb?

If this is about your wife getting raped that's a different story, but it's a much better idea to hide in a separate room, and let burglers steal your stuff. Keep your wife near you, and stay the fuck away from the burglers.

You're 3x more likely to get shot by a burgler, if you shoot back, I'm fairly certain a similar statistic applies when you fight the burglers to versus you running away or hiding.

What's stopping them from doing more harm? The free pass to steal stuff and go home without any immediate issues.

What's shooting them going to do but give you a guilty concience for the rest of your life?

Your mentality is the typical "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality, which is not only immoral, it's going to lead to more issues.

Max King of the Wild said:
Michael-5 said:

LOL Yea Wasp Spray and Bear Spray (Wide Shot specifically designed for attacking Bears) might work better then Pepper Spray, I don't know. However for 1 on 1 encounters Pepper Spray is just as effective as a gun. I tried to look up a link to verify this because I heard it on the news, but I can't find one, but with a spray, you din't need a line of sight to spray, and you can have the weapon right up to your chest and use it in a confined place.

As for Tasers, wouldn't most crimes be committed at arms reach? If someone was trying to rape you in a park, they would likely sneak up on you. Guns are only effective at a range, so I could argue the same point back.

I think the main thing is, crime/gangs, aren't as prevalent as they are in the USA. People don't attack each other with guns here, and in the rare event that they do, most Canadians think a bit and just let the person rob us. No point risking your life for property. In the clause of rape, I can't see a gun being an effective, short distance weapon of intimidation. I knife would probably be a better weapon for an attacker, and in that case, you are already close range, so pepper spray is probably a better solution.

Also, I'm not sure about the USA, but our colleges and universities (community college and college in USA) are filled with Emergency Stations. There is always a tall red pole with a big red button you can run to to press for help and within a minute or two, either the Police or Campus Police will come to the rescue. Police here are efficient, and readily available in places more likely to see rape/crime (I would imagine a school would be a good place to commit a rape since girls are younger).

That should give you a hint that you are wrong shouldn't it...

*Hold up a gun from 10 feet away* "Gimme your purse/backback bitch." "Gimme your car keys" or you could just get shot and your dead body can be ramsacked.... so no... obviously most crimes don't need to be close range. Your ignorance is really showing.

You're 3x more likely to be shot if you try to shoot them....so, your ignorance is showing.

Yeah, the colleges have those distress call buttons... However, "According to American Police Beat, the average response time for an emergency call is 10 minutes. Atlanta has the worst response time with 11 to 12 minutes and Nashville comes in at a lightning speed of 9 minutes." That puts my mind at ease!

That's US incompetence. U of Toronto's claimed response time is 5-10 minutes, but I've seen police respond to 911 calls in 2-3 minutes the few times someone called the cops near me.

Also, "CHICAGO—Police here stopped physically responding to some 911 calls for non-life-threatening issues this week so officers can focus on stemming the city's rising homicide rate, a strategy that other big cities have implemented with sometimes controversial results.

Under the new policy, dispatchers will route 911 calls reporting non-criminal complaints or crimes in which no one is in imminent danger, such as some car thefts and simple assaults, to desk officers who will fill out police reports by phone. The new policy prohibits callers from insisting an officer be sent to the scene, as was allowed before."

So, your getting your ass beat in chicago don't expect a cop to come along.

You listed non-emergency as "car thefts and simple assaults." From the wording it's fair to assume that's after the fact (since police are filing a report, they couldn't do that if someone was beating you down with the phone).

Why would you need immediate attention for that? All a cops going to do is come down and file a report.

Still either way, that's USA being incompetent, not at all related to guns.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. If you need a gun to go to Wal-Mart because "It's not safe" then USA has a lot of other serious problems which need to be fixed.

However, I assume US Suburbs aren't that different then those in Canada (At least they don't look different when I went). Do you really need a gun, in a suburb? If you do then...wow. Do you see why other Countries view Americans as "Gun Nuts?"

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Watch the movie The Crow.

Also, dont try to reflect your morals on me. I find it in no way immoral to defend your hard work and family by using force. I would not have a guilty concience shooting someone in that situation. On top of that don't act like you know me or my mentality because it makes you look even more silly than Kaz already made you look with facts and proof