By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q3 FY2012 - $124m loss, PS3+PS2 6.8m, PSV+PSP 2.7m

Booh! said:

Those PS2 shipments seem too generous, last fiscal year trend:

1.4 (Q1 - FY 2011) -> 1.2 (-15%) -> 0.9 (-25% - Christmas quarter!) -> 0.6 (-33%) -> 0.4 (-33%) -> 0.8 (+100%) -> 0.8 (flat) -> xxx

PS2 could have been in the 0.2m - 0.3m range in Q3 and Q4. It is no more something you buy as a gift for Christmas, I bet a 0.5 -> 0.3/0.4 -> 0.2/0.3 progression is much more likely.

Of course I'm... I just don't want to look bias in favor of PS3 .

Around the Network

Some gifs to guys get cool again here .

I love these gifs.

kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
Aaaaaaand the usual suspects are up to the usual tricks.

Can someone give me 2012 shipments for the big 3? Along with lifetime data (PS3 estimates)?

Usual tricks?

Explain. We are discussing absolutes, not opinions,  I know this rankles with some here, as there is little room for manouever. Join in if you wish.  You usually like to perform some tricks yourself in the other companies inancial threads after all. 

I never mentioned anyone. I never said you. Its funny that you knew I was talking about you though (along with one or two others). The back and forth bickering. Im not really sure why, but you always tend to be in the middle of it. Funny that.

Im assuming you have proof of these "tricks"? Id like to see what you call tricks.

Booh! said:
ethomaz said:

That's bot a good estimation but here we go...

Q1 FY2011

PS3+PS2 =  3.2m
PS3 = 1.8m (56%)

Q2 FY2011

PS3+PS2 =  4.9m
PS3 = 3.7m (76%)

Q3 FY2011

PS3+PS2 =  7.4m
PS3 = 6.5m (88%)

Using the same PS3 ratio from last year to this year (even so I think the PS2 drop is bigger than PS3).

Q1 FY2012

PS3+PS2 =  2.8m
PS3 = 2.4m (estimated - 66.3m LTD)

Q2 FY2012

PS3+PS2 =  3.5m
PS3 = 2.7m (estimated - 69.0m LTD)

Sony reported 70 million PS3 shipped as of November 4th, 2012 * my estimate fits *

Q3 FY2012

PS3+PS2 =  6.8m
PS3 = 6.0m (estimated - 75.0m LTD)

That's is what I can do for you guys.

Those PS2 shipments seem too generous, last fiscal year trend:

1.4 (Q1 - FY 2011) -> 1.2 (-15%) -> 0.9 (-25% - Christmas quarter!) -> 0.6 (-33%) -> 0.4 (-33%) -> 0.8 (+100%) -> 0.8 (flat) -> xxx

PS2 could have been in the 0.2m - 0.3m range in Q3 and Q4. It is no more something you buy as a gift for Christmas, I bet a 0.5 -> 0.3/0.4 -> 0.2/0.3 progression is much more likely.

I think the Blue esitmates are bumped up a bit too much.

More like:

Sony reported 70 million PS3 shipped as of November 4th, 2012 * my estimate fits *

Q3 FY2012

PS3+PS2 =  6.8m
PS3 = 6.0m (estimated - 74m LTD)

Based on estimates from this thread:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=129135

Meaning on shelf amount of 2.22 million. About as undertracked as the 360 was it looks like. Although, that is assuming we are even remotely correct on the PS2 estimates.

nightsurge said:

I think the Blue esitmates are bumped up a bit too much.

More like:

Q3 FY2012

PS3+PS2 =  6.8m
PS3 = 6.0m (estimated - 74m LTD)

Based on estimates from this thread:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=129135

Meaning on shelf amount of 2.22 million. About as undertracked as the 360 was it looks like. Although, that is assuming we are even remotely correct on the PS2 estimates.

So PS2 sold more than last year in Q1 and Q2?

Around the Network

Take notice of what. He is basically saying Sony is doing bad just like everyone else is.  That's supposed to make things ok? 

He also isn't very well informed.  Even I know what asset sales the Japanese analysts from bloomberg is referring to. But i guess we are both wrong and he is right. 

Can you please point out the asset sale for the October to December quarter?

They sold their chemical business in June, they divested their LCD business last year, they had a capital raise in november but that did not include any asset and sold their NY HQ on January 17th.

Honest discussion here:

Sony will post profits for year-end based on them selling their assets. The chemical sale and NYC will have brought net income of over 1 billion. As a result, one can argue that Sony is in the same situation as they were last year despite reporting lower losses. This quarter, where one  is generally profitable, Sony reported substantial losses. The outlook seems bearish for Sony. Should one expect more losses for FY14 especially with ongoing restructuring costs and the PS4 release?

No matter how you spin this, losing money in the holiday season is just plain bad.

I think those annalists were being too optimistic, however if Panasonic managed a profit, I'm not that sure.

They did not make a net profit this quarter but things definitely look better than last year's results.

PSV is just pathetic, and their PR stuff "lower end of expectations" is just plain and shameless BS.

And lol at the "mine is bigger than yours" debate.

My estimates are inline with GAF estimates too...

They have PS3 at 74.9m-75.4m.

My estimate is 75m.

I think it's close to these numbers.