By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q3 FY2012 - $124m loss, PS3+PS2 6.8m, PSV+PSP 2.7m

From GAF.

The earnings call transcript is up. Not much about gaming, BASICALLY just this:

Thirdly, gaming. Now one thing clear for us that in terms of profitability, we have to do a better job in promoting the PlayStation Vita mobile product. How do we do that? Well, gaming business software is the name of the game. So as a fundamental measure, we are putting all -- a lot of resources, not just first party, but also asking third parties to put out more attractive software. That's the basics. The other thing, well, marketing, pricing of the product, et cetera, I cannot talk about pricing of this platform, but those are the things that we are looking into to improve our profitability in the mobile handheld gaming business. Now PS3, in its sixth year, I think it still has a long life. And here, we're not in the stage where we are losing money in the hardware anymore. So again, there are discussions about the next platform, I cannot dwell on that at all at the moment. But in any case, we have a lot of business in PS3. Now to give you an indication of how, well, stable this business is, although we have reduced forecast on many of our product lines from television, digital still cameras and, et cetera, but mobile phones and home game devices, we have not changed the forecast on these for this fiscal year. So that I hope will give an indication of our confidence in this platform going forward.

Seems like Sony will push PS3 even after PS4 release... and some good game is comming to Vita.

PS. That's a good thing on GAF... they talk only about the game division... nothing more nothing less.

Around the Network

Anyone have any idea on the split between Vita and PSP?

kowenicki said:
Train wreck said:

Take notice of what. He is basically saying Sony is doing bad just like everyone else is.  That's supposed to make things ok? 

He also isn't very well informed.  Even I know what asset sales the Japanese analysts from bloomberg is referring to. But i guess we are both wrong and he is right. 

Can you please point out the asset sale for the October to December quarter?

They sold their chemical business in June, they divested their LCD business last year, they had a capital raise in november but that did not include any asset and sold their NY HQ on January 17th.

Can you point out where the analyst or me say that these sales took place in the last quarter.   Quarterly reports are merely interim reports for the markets and shareholders.  The ONLY report that actually maters in the end is the full year financials that is due in March.

The only analysts statement I have read on this issue is an analyst in a Bloomberg article referring to previous asset sales and future asset sales being the only reason or way that Sony can post a full year profit.  Without them it would be a 5th straight year of losses.

If he is right, and its obvious at this point that he is, then how is that a good or encouraging sign?

Um, most of their asset sales were offset by purchases Sony made ( Gaikai for 380m, Olympus investment for 600m, EMI/ATV acquistion for 2.2B) all of which occured this fiscal year

And as long as Sony continues to restructure and bring cost down, that is the best they can hope for in this very tough operating environment.

@Kowenicki

Since we are discussing Sony's financial prospects I have some questions for you.

Based on trends and Sony's restructuring how do you see them performing in the short term?
Do you expect them to sell the PS4 at a loss?
Is this a good time to invest in Sony's stocks??

ethomaz said:

To be clear...

- Vita is dead = cost for game division
- PS4 development = cost for game division

Even so... PS3 managed to put the game division profiting.

Or the guys here will thing it's PS2? or PSP?

PS3 is doing a great job to hold the game division profiting... that's what I see at all.

PS. I'm thank you Sony to finally put a game division in your company and not merge with oter non-profit products... the things became clear for all.

LoL

But when the XBox 360 suffers the same fate and even more so with payments to Nokia (500 million USD), Kin (200 million USD), WinPhone 7, The discontinued Zune and the Zune HD (>500 million) during this gen, you guys come up with graphs that even include the losses of the original Xbox and stopped in 2010 when the Xbox 360 and the division started to make even more money, to prove your point that Sonys gaming division is not doing that bad.

Just face it guys, the PS3 lost about 4-5 billion till now, while the Xbox 360 probably made 1-2 billion. That is why I just laugh about all these "PS3 will win over Xbox 360!" comments. They are pointless to begin with this late in a generation and the market share is not the only way to measure success on a market place.

This gen, Sony did all the things people feared MS would do (and did) when they entered this industry. They bought their way in. They made a decision in 2009 when they went after market share and not a healthy profit. The problem is, when MS did this in 2001, they could actually afford it and they built a whole new brand + an online service. Sony did not built anything, they used that money to survive in this industry.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
pezus said:
I predict profit!

Jesus Christ, another loss man, 124 million for a dying company, that is way too much. They make all they can, and nothing works, I will buy the PS4, but something tells me that I will never be able to buy the PS5 or the VITA2.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

forest-spirit said:
Anyone have any idea on the split between Vita and PSP?

This is what VGC has for that quarter.

PSV 1,235,000

PSP 685,967

1,920,967 total

Essentially 2/3 of that 2.7 is probably Vita, so around 1.78 million shipped for Vita

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

DirtyP2002 said:
ethomaz said:

To be clear...

- Vita is dead = cost for game division
- PS4 development = cost for game division

Even so... PS3 managed to put the game division profiting.

Or the guys here will thing it's PS2? or PSP?

PS3 is doing a great job to hold the game division profiting... that's what I see at all.

PS. I'm thank you Sony to finally put a game division in your company and not merge with oter non-profit products... the things became clear for all.

LoL

But when the XBox 360 suffers the same fate and even more so with payments to Nokia (500 million USD), Kin (200 million USD), WinPhone 7, The discontinued Zune and the Zune HD (>500 million) during this gen, you guys come up with graphs that even include the losses of the original Xbox and stopped in 2010 when the Xbox 360 and the division started to make even more money, to prove your point that Sonys gaming division is not doing that bad.

Just face it guys, the PS3 lost about 4-5 billion till now, while the Xbox 360 probably made 1-2 billion. That is why I just laugh about all these "PS3 will win over Xbox 360!" comments. They are pointless to begin with this late in a generation and the market share is not the only way to measure success on a market place.

This gen, Sony did all the things people feared MS would do (and did) when they entered this industry. They bought their way in. They made a decision in 2009 when they went after market share and not a healthy profit. The problem is, when MS did this in 2001, they could actually afford it and they built a whole new brand + an online service. Sony did not built anything, they used that money to survive in this industry.

Ok so the Playstation Network and Sony's substantial investment into its 1st party studios must be a figment of my imagination. You accuse others of being ignorant but that statement of yours doesn't reflect well on you.

@Kowenicki

Thanks for the reply. I agree it will be a very unpredictable period we are entering now especially for companies heavily reliant on exports. The world economy appears to be in a flux and that is especially true for Sony's strongest markets ie Europe.

I'm thinking the wise thing to do is wait to see how the PS4 performs and how successfull they are in restructuring the company. It wouldn't have been easy forcing the various segments to work together after having so much autonomy for so long during the booming years.

Added to OP.