By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q3 FY2012 - $124m loss, PS3+PS2 6.8m, PSV+PSP 2.7m

And by just going to 120 million loss Q3 they had to do alot of cuts.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network
pezus said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:
Got to laugh. Only fan boys could celebrate a company posting losses....again.
Sony really are hanging on by their finger tips now.

Actually, that is the opposite of a fanboy. A fanboy is someone who cheers on a company only because they're profiting, which does not affect them at all. We like Sony because of its products. not because of its money. 

A fanboy also rationalizes when they are not profiting.

Huh, a fanboy is not rational. You're contradicting statements

We get it, you want Sony fans to feel bad. They can't have any fun ever because their favourite company is losing money. Boohoo.

Jesus, I feel sorry for some people.

I love you.

I actually did expect them to come out in the black this quarter, but this is what happens when you're paying interest and what not on an absolutely huge debt when your credit rating has become garbage. No matter how good things get, that's going to be an albatross around their neck for a lot of years.

No quick fixes on this one. The PS4 might do some good for them if it sells decently enough, but even that is going to be a band aid on a bullet wound for a good, long while.

Best of luck to Sony in this year's endeavours. They're going to need it.

EDIT: Ah, looks like as of September, Sony's debt total was at 140.04 billion and the Debt to Equity went to 0.836. Link.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
ethomaz said:

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

87m shipped or sold? i have 85m sold end of 2013

Shipped... so we have close predictions .

lol ok sounds good. so by 2015 105-120m sold which high end is a bit of a stretch but PS3 should have long legs at the right price.

and 95m maybe by yr. end 2014.

I'm expecting 85mil shipped this year. The Ps3's pricecut will make it flat YoY but it won't take effect till last half of the year. So basically 3mil less in first half of the year (It shipped 13mil this year right?)

Hyruken said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:
Got to laugh. Only fan boys could celebrate a company posting losses....again.
Sony really are hanging on by their finger tips now.

Actually, that is the opposite of a fanboy. A fanboy is someone who cheers on a company only because they're profiting, which does not affect them at all. We like Sony because of its products. not because of its money. 

A fanboy is someone who will ignore the obvious negatives and try and spin those negatives into something positive. Someone who truely cared about a company would be worried when numbers like these are posted. They just cut their forecast by 50%...

No, a fanboy primarily celebrates negative things happening to a company they don't support instead of focusing on the company they like.  We are seeing lots of this on this thread and the usual suspects as well.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

Do you guys think this had anything to do with announcing the PS4 (most likely) so early? It always struck me as odd that they were announcing the PS4 before games like Last of Us and GOW IV came out. Did they want to have something waiting to counteract this news?

pezus said:
JWeinCom said:
Do you guys think this had anything to do with announcing the PS4 (most likely) so early? It always struck me as odd that they were announcing the PS4 before games like Last of Us and GOW IV came out. Did they want to have something waiting to counteract this news?

It's very possible. That, or they just wanted to be ahead of MS which is very important too

Yeah, but February still seems really early.  I wasn't expecting anything from either company till April or may.

pezus said:
JWeinCom said:

It's very possible. That, or they just wanted to be ahead of MS which is very important too

It's very possible. Those, or Sony is trolling us.

JWeinCom said:

Yes, i think Sony most likely had a further release date for the announcement but sales have dropped at a pretty fast clip (slowing PS3 PSP and underperforming PSV) they need some kind of catalyst. 

halil23 said:
Train wreck said:

Guess different people from different segments are going to cherry pick which ever data points they want to advance their agenda. Guess I'll do the same:

Most of the companies in consumer electronics are citing soft growth worldwide for their light sales numbers, which makes sense. I don't see how Sony is going to be immune to these pressures.

Sony as a whole last year Q3: Loss of $2 billion dollars, this year loss of $100 million, definite improvement over last year, still below the profit that 3 analyst expected, includes a massive 432 million tax bill for this quarter, day to day operations are still positive. I did not see any asset sales for this quarter (do not know where that Japanese analyst Bloomberg quoted got that from), the sale of their NY headquarters happened in January so it will be reflected in this quarters numbers

In terms of Sony's piers in the industries that they compete in:

Gaming
Microsoft and Nintendo reported lower sales in their gaming division, even with Nintendo having a new console on the market. I really dont see how Sony was able to skirt that when overall gaming revenue around the world has been down according to NPD/GFK/Japanese Media.

They are maintaining overall console shipments which is surprising. Sony cut its handheld shipments in half from last year start of the fiscal year to 7 from 14. Also the cut tells me that they do not plan on lowering the price soon. Probably their weakest product right now, dont know how they are going to turn it around without a permament price cut and software. Nintendo, which is the market leader cut their shipments by 23% from 18.5 to 15 in the same time period.

Last year's operating income was helped out by the introduction of the Vita in Japan.

Cameras:
See Nikon: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-07/nikon-plunges-most-since-1985-after-forecast-cut-tokyo-mover.html
and Canon: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/canon-q4-profit-edges-down-sees-growth-in-fy13-announces-dividends-20130130-00083#.URPBdqVEF2A
They both tell the story of whats going on in the dedicated camera space (Sony does too, higher smartphone sales and lower demand from television/print media for big production cameras)

TVs
Outside Samsung no one is experiencing growth (Panasonic and LG and Sharp experienced lowered TV sales)

Movies, Music, Financial
moving the company forward as usual

Mobile
Pretty much the lone bright spot, sales up 100%, negative net income but as carriers get a better mix of product to try to get away from the iphone and its high "apple tax" i see their mobile unit benefiting, especially if they come out with compelling products

Thank you!! A very informative and factual read, bravo!!

sales2009 and kowen take note!! (I doubt they will) >_>

I see a net loss, despite improvements. A stark contrast to MS profits for the quarter.

Your obsession with exclusives is amusing. Also using gamerankings instead of metacritic, and further filtering out sites.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.