By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How can Nintendo gamers even talk about other system failing?

riderz13371 said:
SuperMarioWorld said:
riderz13371 said:

The PS2 Wiki page hasn't been updated in years LOL.

Well it would've had to have been updated since Nov 2011 and did you check the link?

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/111122_e.pdf 

Numbers from Sony 

Did you check the date? LOL

yeh it's from a little over a year ago. So unless Sony sold 630,000 PS2s in little over a year the DS has officially sold more no? 

Around the Network
SuperMarioWorld said:
Player1x3 said:
SuperMarioWorld said:
Player1x3 said:
SuperMarioWorld said:
Player1x3 said:
SuperMarioWorld said:
Player1x3 said:
TakeMeToTheHospital said:

The Wii is one of the best selling consoles of all time.  It only sold better than 1 PS console

The 3DS is selling better than the DS up to this point in it's life and the DS is the best selling console of all time.  Wrong. PS2 is still the king

The Wii U is selling better than the PS3 and 360 so far. Not if you include PS3's european launch

What are you talking about? The WiiU is doing very poorly 

Also the Wii U will do awesome once the games come rolling out. I'm a grade 3/4 primary school teacher and almost everyone of my students wants a Wii U. 

But according to VGChartz the DS has sold more than the PS2. Do you know something I don't? 

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

I know something the entire website does. VGC stopped tracking PS2 numbers years ago, it's not even remotely close to actual numbers 

But have they really sold that many PS2s since VGC stopped tracking them?

Sure did

Where did you get this information? According to VGC the DS is approaching 1 million more units than the PS2. So are you saying the PS2 has sold several millions of units since VGC stopped tracking it.

When did VGC stop tracking PS2 numbers? 

EDIT- The PS2 Wikipedia page says 'Units sold - 153.6 million (as of Nov 2011)'. This is also mentioned here - - http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/111122_e.pdf 

So unless the PS2 has sold 630,000 units in little over a year the DS is officially the highest selling console.

You're trying too hard

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151488

not sure what that means. but this is official numbers from Sony. 

Oh for christ sake, read the thread, check the date on your source and leave this issue already >_<

Kaizar said:

No, the 3DS shipped 4 million but only sold 3.61 million by April 1st which was beneath Nintendo's prediction of sold out on all 4.00 million.

And I corrected my Wii U sales, by saying it was actually 1.2 million or so in the first 2 months

You're right about the 3DS failing to hit Nintendo's 4 million forecast, but the 3.61 million figure is shipment, not sell-through.  The sell-through was nowhere close to that.  For example, NPD recorded 398k 3DS sales for the month of March (April 194k, May 97k).  Nintendo shipped 1.32 million units to the Americas in March.

I'm not sure where you are getting the 1.2 million figure from, but that is neither sell-through or shipment for the Wii U.

Player1x3 said:
SuperMarioWorld said:
Player1x3 said:
SuperMarioWorld said:
Player1x3 said:
SuperMarioWorld said:
Player1x3 said:
SuperMarioWorld said:
Player1x3 said:

The Wii is one of the best selling consoles of all time.  It only sold better than 1 PS console

The 3DS is selling better than the DS up to this point in it's life and the DS is the best selling console of all time.  Wrong. PS2 is still the king

The Wii U is selling better than the PS3 and 360 so far. Not if you include PS3's european launch

Also the Wii U will do awesome once the games come rolling out. I'm a grade 3/4 primary school teacher and almost everyone of my students wants a Wii U. 

But according to VGChartz the DS has sold more than the PS2. Do you know something I don't? 

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

I know something the entire website does. VGC stopped tracking PS2 numbers years ago, it's not even remotely close to actual numbers 

But have they really sold that many PS2s since VGC stopped tracking them?

Sure did

Where did you get this information? According to VGC the DS is approaching 1 million more units than the PS2. So are you saying the PS2 has sold several millions of units since VGC stopped tracking it.

When did VGC stop tracking PS2 numbers? 

EDIT- The PS2 Wikipedia page says 'Units sold - 153.6 million (as of Nov 2011)'. This is also mentioned here - - http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/111122_e.pdf 

So unless the PS2 has sold 630,000 units in little over a year the DS is officially the highest selling console.

You're trying too hard

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151488

not sure what that means. but this is official numbers from Sony. 

Oh for christ sake, read the thread, check the date on your source and leave this issue already >_<

I don't understand how a random thread on VGC is a more reliable source than an official statement from Sony from Nov 2011

holy fucking shit the ps4 isnt even out yet xD!

Around the Network
SuperMarioWorld said:
Player1x3 said:

I don't understand how a random thread on VGC is a more reliable source than an official statement from Sony from Nov 2011

Ugh, i give up >_<

Aielyn said:

First thing to note is that my 1 million comment was intended in terms of total ownership of the game across the two platforms. Why "total ownership"? Because there's a deal that lets you upgrade from Wii to Wii U version for half price - I expect some of the owners of the Wii version to upgrade. A realistic number in terms of early sales (say, by midyear) is, say, 300-400k. As for the NSMB U 600k by April - that assumes that nothing improves its sales numbers in the next three months; since we're talking about the kind of game that can boost sales numbers, and NSMB U is likely to be bought by the majority of people who buy a Wii U early on, this assumption doesn't hold water. An interesting thing to note is that, in Japan, so far, the tie ratio for the Wii U isn't far above 1; the Wii, in the same time period, had a tie ratio of over 2. I'd say that this suggests that there's something that Japanese Wii U owners are waiting for.

My predictions regarding Fifa were based on the assumption that EA were putting real effort into the Wii U. Turns out that that assumption was entirely wrong. I think it speaks volumes that Fifa is selling better in the US than in Europe, which is almost unprecedented for the series (there was one spinoff Fifa title for the PS2 that I saw when looking through the list). This, while Fifa in America is outperforming Madden (which EA didn't even bother releasing in Europe, although all the other versions were) - how can you explain this, other than to say that clearly EA aren't doing their job with their own software, especially in Europe? Mind you, EA couldn't even be bothered to port their new physics engine over to the Wii U versions, so I'm not surprised, in the end, that fans aren't buying it... especially after EA screwed fans over recently by releasing a literal roster-update version of Fifa for Wii last year (or was it this year?).

Skylanders, we can't trust the data for, because it's missing week 1 data in all of europe, and week 2 data in Germany and France. While I don't think it'll be up around 50k, it'll be higher than it currently looks. But having said that, I do admit that I overestimated the numbers that would be done. I should have looked into the sorts of numbers it had been getting in the past in the UK - I just assumed proportional numbers, but the original barely made 100k in UK on the Wii, despite doing 1 million in Europe in general. I had been expecting the series to be stronger in the UK than it was.

As you mention, in the first four weeks of 2013, the Wii U will have sold around 260k. This, without a single notable release (barely a release at all, actually). To get the shipments up to 4 million, it likely only needs about 800k more sold through, which, in my opinion, is certainly achievable, when you factor in three things - lower prices bring more sales (and if the price is being dropped by more in Europe, it's probably because they've given the system a much bigger margin for retailers in Europe - the price there is excessively inflated, the equivalent of something like US$470 for the premium pack (for comparison, the PS3 500GB goes for the equivalent of US$360)).

Of course, as I've said before, sales are primarily driven by games. There are two notable exclusives being released for the Wii U in the next two months. Beyond games, advertising has a significant impact - do you really think Nintendo isn't already planning their second wave of advertising - and then price. And Nintendo needn't give price cuts in order to entice purchase through price - bundles are often another approach.

In short, the only way to reasonably assume that current sales numbers are going to be representative of ongoing sales numbers is if you assume that Nintendo does nothing over the next three months. Given Iwata's comments about the importance of meeting targets in the current quarter, I'd assume that means Nintendo has plans.

DQX was at 633,827 at the end of 2012 according to Famitsu.  Previously you had said DQX would almost certainly sell better on the Wii U, hence where the 1 million figure seemed to be your estimation for the Wii U version.  You've also been citing the 3.5-4 million sales of previous DQ titles, so 3-400k seems like a scaled down prediction (especially if that is to the end of June).  Regarding NSMBU if nothing gets better (and also nothing gets worse) it would only reach 538k by the end of April.

Fifa in the US outselling the Euro numbers is almost purely due to the launch week.  This seems to be a trend with every game in the US that the launch week was significantly higher than any other week.  I suppose this isn't surprising, it was about a full week, it was black friday, and that was by far the biggest week for hardware sales.  American Wii U owners seem to have bought quite a bit more software, especially at launch.  Nearly 2.5 SW per unit in the US, versus 1.6 in Europe for launch.  A quick glance shows every single Wii U game selling better in NA than EU.  While Fifa selling more in the US is strange, I think it is more down to the Wii U in Europe than EA's handling of it.

Skylanders was number 19 on launch week when number 8 sold 1,618 copies.  Since then it has never entered the Wii U top 10.  A top 10 where last week number 9 sold less than 198 units.  If Skylanders is any higher, that amount is relatively insignificant in the grand scheme.

800k sold in the next 9 weeks just doesn't seem realistic.  Especially when we are a few weeks away from the next major software release.  Yes they could probably do it with heavy discounts, but retailers are also not going to be eager to order that extra 940k if they had to slice their margins to get rid of their old ones.  The current discount of 25 Euros on amazon brings the price about equal to the US price when you remove VAT, and at least Amazon has been running discounts since before Christmas.  So I don't expect any appreciable spike.

If Nintendo has plans, they need to implement them quickly.  We are more than a third of the way through this quarter and sales aren't picking up yet.  The Nintendo Direct didn't seem to have any measurable impact on sales in Japan or Europe.  So I don't think new announcements will cut it and it's unlikely that they will spring a game on us before the end of March.  I don't know if retailers will be keen on new bundles when they already have the Basic sku rotting on the shelves.  The only method that seems likely to succeed would be a price cut, but I don't think they'd do that this early, and if they did it probably wouldn't be till mid March when several games come out.  By then it will likely be too late to affect their shipments greatly.  I guess it will come down to if their forecast was based on any action by them or if the 4 million was their estimate based on the cards already on the table.  If it is the latter I don't think they will be able to respond in time to change things before the quarter is through.  It's already a third gone.

Player1x3 said:
SuperMarioWorld said:
Player1x3 said:

Ugh, i give up >_<

Can't argue with an official statement from Sony hey g 

SuperMarioWorld said:

Can't argue with an official statement from Sony hey g 

Sony shipped 1.5 million PS2's from Oct 2011 - Mar 2012.  Since then they've been combining the PS2 and PS3.  From Apr-Sept they shipped a combined 6.3 million.  The PS3 in the prior year shipped 5.5 million for the same time period.  Since we know the PS3 has been flat or down this year, we can surmise the PS2 shipped at least an additional 800k (realistically the number is quite a bit higher).  That would put the PS2 at about 1.4 million from Jan-Sept plus whatever they shipped between their press release and the end of 2011.  The PS2 is likely at a minimum of around 155.3 million shipped through September 2012.

Aielyn said:
Player1x3 said:

2. PS2 shipped more, maybe. That doesn't mean it sold more. Even if it had, though, he didn't say the system with the largest number of sales, he said best-selling. The DS sold better than the PS2 did, as demonstrated by the fact that, after 8 years, the PS2 had sold, at best, 130 million units, whereas the DS, having been out for just over 8 years, is now over 153 million. And the PS2 has stopped production, while the DS continues to sell.

So, around 150 m shipments and 130 m sales at best? Yup. Seems right.