By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How can Nintendo gamers even talk about other system failing?

naruball said:

So, around 150 m shipments and 130 m sales at best? Yup. Seems right.

Oh geez, I didn't even notice that.  I've seen a lot of nutty claims to try and justify the incorrect PS2 numbers here over the years, but claiming ~25 million unsold units takes the cake.  Even ioi has admitted the PS2 numbers aren't accurate at this point I don't know why people are still arguing it.  Actually, speaking of inaccurate numbers.  Why does the Platform Total have the DS at 154.31 million, while the weekly charts has it at 153.87 million, while Nintendo has only shipped 153.67 million as of the end of December, and only forecasts 150k more through March.

Around the Network
Devil_Survivor said:
UncleScrooge said:

I'm a Nintendo fan but I bash criticize every console that sells poorly. When the 3DS was unveiled I said it wouldn't sell and criticized for their mistakes. When the Vita sold horrible I pointed out how bad sales were, put them into perspective and called those out who said sales were alright. I'm doing the same now with the Wii U.

From my experience fans of any console will always defend it no matter how horribly it sells. People saying the Vita (and to some extend the Wii U) just need more time are just kidding themselves - both consoles are selling below Gamecube level. There's only so much a price cut can do (you can actually roughly calculate the effect of a price cut --> sales elasticity) and it's really hard to dig yourself out of a sales hole.

Edit: I used the word "bashing" wrong lol

Only so much a price cut can do? Really? It did wonders for the 3DS and it made it the best selling console in the world atm. The fact remains Nintendo dug the 3DS out, why cant Sony do the same with Vita or Nintendo with Wii U?

Because I'm talking facts. Just google "Price Elasticity of demand." It's a basic concept of a free market economy. The lower sales of a product are, the lower (in absolute (!) numbers) the sales spike will be after a price cut. The % increase in sales that a price cut will result in can be measured if one knows how high price elasticity in a market is.

Yakuzaice said:
DQX was at 633,827 at the end of 2012 according to Famitsu.  Previously you had said DQX would almost certainly sell better on the Wii U, hence where the 1 million figure seemed to be your estimation for the Wii U version.  You've also been citing the 3.5-4 million sales of previous DQ titles, so 3-400k seems like a scaled down prediction (especially if that is to the end of June).  Regarding NSMBU if nothing gets better (and also nothing gets worse) it would only reach 538k by the end of April.

Fifa in the US outselling the Euro numbers is almost purely due to the launch week.  This seems to be a trend with every game in the US that the launch week was significantly higher than any other week.  I suppose this isn't surprising, it was about a full week, it was black friday, and that was by far the biggest week for hardware sales.  American Wii U owners seem to have bought quite a bit more software, especially at launch.  Nearly 2.5 SW per unit in the US, versus 1.6 in Europe for launch.  A quick glance shows every single Wii U game selling better in NA than EU.  While Fifa selling more in the US is strange, I think it is more down to the Wii U in Europe than EA's handling of it.

Skylanders was number 19 on launch week when number 8 sold 1,618 copies.  Since then it has never entered the Wii U top 10.  A top 10 where last week number 9 sold less than 198 units.  If Skylanders is any higher, that amount is relatively insignificant in the grand scheme.

800k sold in the next 9 weeks just doesn't seem realistic.  Especially when we are a few weeks away from the next major software release.  Yes they could probably do it with heavy discounts, but retailers are also not going to be eager to order that extra 940k if they had to slice their margins to get rid of their old ones.  The current discount of 25 Euros on amazon brings the price about equal to the US price when you remove VAT, and at least Amazon has been running discounts since before Christmas.  So I don't expect any appreciable spike.

If Nintendo has plans, they need to implement them quickly.  We are more than a third of the way through this quarter and sales aren't picking up yet.  The Nintendo Direct didn't seem to have any measurable impact on sales in Japan or Europe.  So I don't think new announcements will cut it and it's unlikely that they will spring a game on us before the end of March.  I don't know if retailers will be keen on new bundles when they already have the Basic sku rotting on the shelves.  The only method that seems likely to succeed would be a price cut, but I don't think they'd do that this early, and if they did it probably wouldn't be till mid March when several games come out.  By then it will likely be too late to affect their shipments greatly.  I guess it will come down to if their forecast was based on any action by them or if the 4 million was their estimate based on the cards already on the table.  If it is the latter I don't think they will be able to respond in time to change things before the quarter is through.  It's already a third gone.

I didn't say it would be ahead of the Wii version by midyear, I said it would sell better - meaning, total lifetime sales. My prediction of 300-400k is short-term, basically to June. I'd expect to see it getting closer to 900k lifetime, but it's hard to judge.

My point about EA's handling of Fifa is that Fifa is a huge franchise in Europe, EA should have been able to drive sales of the game on all systems. The fact that Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed on the Wii U was able to sell at a decent rate (relative to Wii U sales) in the UK proves that the problem wasn't Fifa being multiplatform, Wii U system sales, or anything like that.

As for Skylanders, I'm not sure what you're arguing about - as I said, I'd thought the franchise was doing better in the UK than it actually was.

800k in the next 9 weeks isn't a given, but it's achievable, if Nintendo handles things properly. Like I said, I'm assuming Nintendo has a plan to get themselves to that 4 million shipped number. And you note that it depends on whether Nintendo was basing the estimate on the "cards already on the table". The reason why it takes about 4 weeks for Nintendo to release their financial report is that they have to do analysis and make plans before reporting to investors. If the projections were already looking unlikely on January 23rd (time of the Wii U Direct), they wouldn't have left them at those values on January 26th. They could easily have reduced it to 3.5 million and saved face in April with little impact in January. So I stand by my prediction that they've got some plans to push the system, that don't involve actual price cuts (note: they could bundle NSMB U with both the basic and premium packs for the next 6 months without upping the price, and thus have an effective price cut without an actual price cut).

The very fact that Nintendo held that Wii U Direct, which announced more than we'd normally hear from Nintendo, suggests that Nintendo did make new plans, and are already in the process of enacting them. And Iwata wouldn't have blatantly ruled out any price cut on January 26th if recent numbers were a concern to Nintendo - he could easily have couched it in terms like "We do not currently expect to require a price cut" - thereby enabling them to simply go "situation has changed, we need to drop the price", and there's no problem.

naruball said:
Aielyn said:
2. PS2 shipped more, maybe. That doesn't mean it sold more. Even if it had, though, he didn't say the system with the largest number of sales, he said best-selling. The DS sold better than the PS2 did, as demonstrated by the fact that, after 8 years, the PS2 had sold, at best, 130 million units, whereas the DS, having been out for just over 8 years, is now over 153 million. And the PS2 has stopped production, while the DS continues to sell.

I recommend that you re-read what I said, as I never said what you suggest I did. If you still don't see it, I'll explain, but at this point, I'm not particularly inclined to explain basic comprehension to you.

Aielyn said:
naruball said:
Aielyn said:
2. PS2 shipped more, maybe. That doesn't mean it sold more. Even if it had, though, he didn't say the system with the largest number of sales, he said best-selling. The DS sold better than the PS2 did, as demonstrated by the fact that, after 8 years, the PS2 had sold, at best, 130 million units, whereas the DS, having been out for just over 8 years, is now over 153 million. And the PS2 has stopped production, while the DS continues to sell.

I recommend that you re-read what I said, as I never said what you suggest I did. If you still don't see it, I'll explain, but at this point, I'm not particularly inclined to explain basic comprehension to you.

Typical internet response. Insult the other person, by making a remark about their inteligence, instead of explaining your point of you. Thanks but I rather stay away from this type of discussion. Good day to you, sir.

Around the Network
naruball said:
Aielyn said:
naruball said:
Aielyn said:

Typical internet response. Insult the other person, by making a remark about their inteligence, instead of explaining your point of you. Thanks but I rather stay away from this type of discussion. Good day to you, sir.

Oh, didn't you actually re-read what I said? I was insulting your intelligence because you didn't do the courtesy of properly reading what I said before responding. I don't ask for much, but I do ask that, if you're going to criticise something I say, actually make sure it's something I said before doing so.

I said that it had sold, at best, 130 million units... after 8 years. It's pretty clear, the sentence fragment right before the part you bolded. I didn't say current sales. I said after 8 years. In other words, as of 2007. The DS has sold more in its 8 year life than the PS2 sold in its first 8 years, by over 20 million. It took another 4 years for the PS2 to make it to its current sales figure. The DS has at least a 20 million unit head start going into year 9.

Aielyn said:
naruball said:
Aielyn said:
naruball said:
Aielyn said:

Oh, didn't you actually re-read what I said? I was insulting your intelligence because you didn't do the courtesy of properly reading what I said before responding. I don't ask for much, but I do ask that, if you're going to criticise something I say, actually make sure it's something I said before doing so.

I said that it had sold, at best, 130 million units... after 8 years. It's pretty clear, the sentence fragment right before the part you bolded. I didn't say current sales. I said after 8 years. In other words, as of 2007. The DS has sold more in its 8 year life than the PS2 sold in its first 8 years, by over 20 million. It took another 4 years for the PS2 to make it to its current sales figure. The DS has at least a 20 million unit head start going into year 9.

No, I did re-read what you said. You were right about that. That's not the point. All you had to do was mention that, i.e. the 8 year reference, which is pretty much the same excuse that ps3 fans use over 360 (only in that case it's of course an excuse, not an argument). No need for the attitude of superiority, but that's the internet for ya.

naruball said:
No, I did re-read what you said. You were right about that. That's not the point. All you had to do was mention that, i.e. the 8 year reference, which is pretty much the same excuse that ps3 fans use over 360 (only in that case it's of course an excuse, not an argument). No need for the attitude of superiority, but that's the internet for ya. 

It's not superiority, it's me responding to your post in a way that was appropriate to your post's tone and attitude.

You ridiculed me for something that I hadn't actually said, and you did so by bolding part of a sentence and ignoring the stuff that gave the bolded part its context. I have no patience for people who extract parts of a sentence and then ridicule a person for that snippet without bothering to take their time to double-check that what was extracted is representative of what was being said.

Compare my attitude with you to my attitude with Yakuzaice. Yakuzaice took the time to read what I said, thought about it, and responded in a fairly reasonable manner, suggesting that there were disagreements on various points. You took half of a sentence that I said, and ridiculed me for it. Why should I give you the time necessary to actually explain myself a second time when you couldn't take enough time to read it through the first time? That's not entirely rhetorical, by the way - I want you to explain to me why I should give my time up in order to repeat something I'd already said, when you couldn't take enough time to read what I said the first time, and felt that ridicule was better than actually proposing a counterargument.

yes. and because i like to piss people off and because vita will fail and wiiu will sell more than ps4 an next box.

spurgeonryan said:

When the Wii U is in the state it is in. The 3DS is just finally fully recovering from a disasterous blanch, and the Wii went out with a whimper.

Does it make them feel better?

Switch!!!

Aielyn said:
naruball said:

It's not superiority, it's me responding to your post in a way that was appropriate to your post's tone and attitude.

You ridiculed me for something that I hadn't actually said, and you did so by bolding part of a sentence and ignoring the stuff that gave the bolded part its context. I have no patience for people who extract parts of a sentence and then ridicule a person for that snippet without bothering to take their time to double-check that what was extracted is representative of what was being said.

Compare my attitude with you to my attitude with Yakuzaice. Yakuzaice took the time to read what I said, thought about it, and responded in a fairly reasonable manner, suggesting that there were disagreements on various points. You took half of a sentence that I said, and ridiculed me for it. Why should I give you the time necessary to actually explain myself a second time when you couldn't take enough time to read it through the first time? That's not entirely rhetorical, by the way - I want you to explain to me why I should give my time up in order to repeat something I'd already said, when you couldn't take enough time to read what I said the first time, and felt that ridicule was better than actually proposing a counterargument.

I'll apply your logic and attitude and provide a similar response just so that you understand how you come off. So, let me "explain basic comprehension to you"

a. Assertion number 1. Who said I didn't read your entire post? Did you take into account that some users here are not native speakers and have a hard time understanding simple things? Look at any discussions with Ethomaz and disagreements due to things lost in translation.

b. Assertion number 2. Who said I ridiculed you? Or that I had such intention? That's your perception of the events. Who said this wasn't just a joke? How do you know that I did not simply read that sentence (instead of the entire paragraph) and had no intention to ridicule you, but point out something that seemed off?

All you had to do was say: "Did you actually read the sentece? I said... x". I would have replied. "Sorry, my bad". But, no! You had to attack my inteligence. At any rate, I am done here and I suggest if you want anything, you can post it on my wall. Let's not derail the thread any futher and follow the rules, eh?