By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Check out Julie's SXSW keynote LIVE with Joshua Topolsky Live now.

spurgeonryan said:
Thanks! But I was catching up on it here.

ok be sure to post feedback.  i like what Ouya represents for aspiring developers.

Around the Network

well I have no interest in Ouya so far. Even the price don't got me. But let's see what will happen

Click HERE and be happy 

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Solid-Stark said:

Good read.

The only thing that gets me thinking is the long term support due to its hardware. The OUYA packs a Tegra 3, however, the Tegra 4 will be ready in March along with the release of the OUYA...
Being a console, fixed hardware is given, but, they will need some serious dev support to keep the console relevant for years to come. With that said, I hope yearly big advances by ARM processors don't make them treat the OUYA like a tablet with yearly revisions and therefore singling out previous buyers.

Still, I'm very interested in the micro console, mainly this OUYA.

i really don't know much about Ouya as a hardware/parts, but what i'mm hoping is for interchangeable parts that would make it upgradable for 3-5 yr.'s atleast.

Well the main board would have to switchable; and seeing that OUYA supports rooting and tinkering and such, it might be possible.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Solid-Stark said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Solid-Stark said:

Good read.

The only thing that gets me thinking is the long term support due to its hardware. The OUYA packs a Tegra 3, however, the Tegra 4 will be ready in March along with the release of the OUYA...
Being a console, fixed hardware is given, but, they will need some serious dev support to keep the console relevant for years to come. With that said, I hope yearly big advances by ARM processors don't make them treat the OUYA like a tablet with yearly revisions and therefore singling out previous buyers.

Still, I'm very interested in the micro console, mainly this OUYA.

i really don't know much about Ouya as a hardware/parts, but what i'mm hoping is for interchangeable parts that would make it upgradable for 3-5 yr.'s atleast.

Well the main board would have to switchable; and seeing that OUYA supports rooting and tinkering and such, it might be possible.

that would be more then welcome. i hope it's the case.

As I said before: of the upcoming consoles not from the big three only the OUYA looks as it could have some success (and with success I mean sell more than 1 million). They get two things right: price and games targeted at the platform. The OUYA-makers seemingly got it, that it isn't enough to allow Android-games to run on the machine. This interview also shows the commitment the team has towards indie-devs. That is a really good sign for the device.

Who may buy it? I see it as some bridge-console. Gamers on mobile phones and tablets who start to invest more and more time might be interested to play the games on a HDTV at home. And then start to get interested in more time-consuming games. They are probably afraid of complicated games with deep story and hour-long tutorials. They seem themself more as casual gamers, who don't want to invest much time into LEARNING a game, but that are willing to invest time to play a game. I see the OUYA as the right choice for these.
Another group might be former hardcore-gamers who are bored by the ongoing race for even more power (an interesting thing about more and more power: http://what-if.xkcd.com/13/ ). They have fun with the good old games but are not interested in the same gameplay over and over with more enemies, better graphics, more effects and so on. They are more interested in scaling a bit back, have fun with good old games and quirky fresh ideas. The Ouya might also the right thing for this group.

And it is cheap, to be a minor risk to purchasers.

I probably will buy one, because I'm a programmer and like the idea to program something little for a console-like platform. That will be a different experience, than programming for PC. Also it will provide some games and might be a good enhancement to one of the consoles of the big three.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
As I said before: of the upcoming consoles not from the big three only the OUYA looks as it could have some success (and with success I mean sell more than 1 million). They get two things right: price and games targeted at the platform. The OUYA-makers seemingly got it, that it isn't enough to allow Android-games to run on the machine. This interview also shows the commitment the team has towards indie-devs. That is a really good sign for the device.

Who may buy it? I see it as some bridge-console. Gamers on mobile phones and tablets who start to invest more and more time might be interested to play the games on a HDTV at home. And then start to get interested in more time-consuming games. They are probably afraid of complicated games with deep story and hour-long tutorials. They seem themself more as casual gamers, who don't want to invest much time into LEARNING a game, but that are willing to invest time to play a game. I see the OUYA as the right choice for these.
Another group might be former hardcore-gamers who are bored by the ongoing race for even more power (an interesting thing about more and more power: http://what-if.xkcd.com/13/ ). They have fun with the good old games but are not interested in the same gameplay over and over with more enemies, better graphics, more effects and so on. They are more interested in scaling a bit back, have fun with good old games and quirky fresh ideas. The Ouya might also the right thing for this group.

I probably will buy one, because I'm a programmer and like the idea to program something little for a console-like platform. That will be a different experience, than programming for PC. Also it will provide some games and might be a good enhancement to one of the consoles of the big three.

interesting take and read. i'm more interested in the programming aspect although i'm no programer, and always have wanted to dev. games, and learn a bit about programing.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Mnementh said:

interesting take and read. i'm more interested in the programming aspect although i'm no programer, and always have wanted to dev. games, and learn a bit about programing.

I'd like to learn how to program a bit, it seems like I missed the boat though.  I played around a bit with the free open source Blender game engine that allowes progaming through a GUI (no code) and it was fun.

chris_wing said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Mnementh said:

I'd like to learn how to program a bit, it seems like I missed the boat though.  I played around a bit with the free open source Blender game engine that allowes progaming through a GUI (no code) and it was fun.

if i could ever get the hell off vgc, i'd have time to try Blender lol. so it's no longer available? that sucks.

"so it's no longer available? that sucks."

No it's still around and being actively developed http://www.blender.org/

It's for Windows, Mac & Linux.

Sorry to go off topic/

if you were anyone else i scold you for not reading the OP but your a friend so i'll let it slide. but next time it's a Baltimore beat down capisce lol. 

release and preorder March 2013 preorder and April 2013 retail.