By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Check out Julie's SXSW keynote LIVE with Joshua Topolsky Live now.

Check out Julie's SXSW keynote LIVE with Joshua Topolsky tomorrow (Monday, March 11) at 2 p.m. Central.

They'll talk all things OUYA -- from inception to the road ahead and everything in between.

http://t.co/43qH215e2o <-- Don't mind the headline, just be there at 2 p.m. CT ;)

Around the Network

Personally I do not intend to buy this but I'm really curious on how it will perform in the market

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
Personally I do not intend to buy this but I'm really curious on how it will perform in the market

Well, it sounds like it will have GameCube quality graphics or better, but definitely less then Wii.

Both 3DS & Vita surpass Wii even.

So yeah, I am personally not going to buy this.

But I don't think it fail nor succeed. I think it will be in a nice middle ground settle into a nest of safety and moderateness or however you want to describe what I'm describing, LOL.

I will most definitely buy it but not for gaming but for xbmc. Several years I was planning on building an htpc but every setup demanded too much power. Second option was sth like WD TV (Live) from Western Digital but to me this thing depended too much on how WD supports it and the chipset was sometimes very picky with some formats.
Now this thing comes with Android and Tegra3, so the same hard- and software like my Nexus7 where xbmc works like a charm! By now hw-accel is still in progress by devs but will be worked on as I write this and will most probably be fixed when the small Ouya launches. It is a low-power multimedia-center perfect for "SmartTV"-features!

Kaizar said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Well, it sounds like it will have GameCube quality graphics or better, but definitely less then Wii.

Both 3DS & Vita surpass Wii even.

what?! to me it looks like most gc-games looked better than most of wii-games - not the hardware's fault but the devs... and if 3ds is better than ouya? Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsnaZwCxN24 This runs on a Nexus 7 which has the same hardware as Ouya...

Around the Network

PS2 graphics? Is that a joke or something? 3DS has better graphics than PS2 and it has PICA 200 GPU for crying out loud!

$99 for a home console with thirteen year-old hardware?

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

spurgeonryan said:
So who or which demographic will this be aimed at?

it's an open platform. there has been lots of information posted in this and the other thread you poste in which is why i sent you a link. are you not reading the op?

cause you should know the answer to your question by now. there is emulation, game dev., and general screwing around with the hardware. you can do anything with it because it's mostly un-restricted.

Not interested in small time consoles like these. Already can't stand games on the app store/android so I don't see this being much different, except with a controller.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Good read.

The only thing that gets me thinking is the long term support due to its hardware. The OUYA packs a Tegra 3, however, the Tegra 4 will be ready in March along with the release of the OUYA...
Being a console, fixed hardware is given, but, they will need some serious dev support to keep the console relevant for years to come. With that said, I hope yearly big advances by ARM processors don't make them treat the OUYA like a tablet with yearly revisions and therefore singling out previous buyers.

Still, I'm very interested in the micro console, mainly this OUYA.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

I'm very interested in Ouya. Out of all the coming consoles, this is the one I'm most likely to buy - mainly do to low cost and my love for smaller, quirky titles.

However, if it's be a success or not is a big question and ultimately I might opt for a Android competitor that better allows traditional Android tablet gaming as well as console style.

If they can get developers to support it with some quality titles, especially exclusives, I'm sure even some core gamers will get it (it's only $99 after all) for those games. Casual gamers? Without Angry Birds, et al I doubt it. Semi-core? Without Madden and Call of Duty, or at least good clones, probably not.

It might become a niche market machine - for people who love indie games - and actually, because it's low cost to consumers, because it's Android based and developers can also port to any other Android based console/tablet/phone so it's low risk to them, it could probably survive on this market alone.

However, if they can get better games, and bigger dev support than what's shown here, at $99 it has the potential to steal the low end of the console market. Cheap system, cheap and plentiful (?) games.

Or, and I figure more likely, a better console/tablet hybrid Android device will come out and be wildly successful allowing people to play the best of both worlds on TV or tablet, home or on the go. Maybe not PS4 quality, maybe not even PS3 quality but still UE4 games and the best of tablet games all in one.