By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The VGChartz Art Creation & Gallery thread

miz1q2w3e said:
Can I ask a question? I have a bamboo pen and touch tablet (that's what it's called). It's a pretty basic tablet, but suitable for my needs.

My question is: Is it normal to push really hard on the tablet?
I use Photoshop and I tried one of the pressure sensitive controls (the harder you push, the darker the color). I have to push pretty hard in order to get a dark color. I'm afraid of ruining my tablet.

Sorry, I caught this late. The answer is no for Intuos but I guess that's the Bamboo default. You should probably change the settings before it causes you mad wrist strain. You won't ruin the tablet, the most you will do is muck up the sensor in the pen. It's the pen that registers the pressure.

You can adjust the pressure curve in the Wacom settings (in Control Panel) to however you need. You can also set a bunch of other things like the switch settings and I really recommend to make sure you have the mapping set to screen proportion (though most screens these days are proportional to the tablet, there is sometimes a slight offset...)... I set "Alt" modifier (dropper tool) for my switch so I can very easily color pick when I am painting... it's essential for actual rendering, though I find it annoying when I am using a rotating tool because I have to move the barrel. I don't use opacity/flow settings at all unless it's very specific cases...

They improved the way the pressure curve was made in the control panel with the Intuos models, so hopefully they've refined them with Bamboo software as well. Wacom is usually pretty good about that driver stuff.

Around the Network
Marucha said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Can I ask a question? I have a bamboo pen and touch tablet (that's what it's called). It's a pretty basic tablet, but suitable for my needs.

My question is: Is it normal to push really hard on the tablet?
I use Photoshop and I tried one of the pressure sensitive controls (the harder you push, the darker the color). I have to push pretty hard in order to get a dark color. I'm afraid of ruining my tablet.

Sorry, I caught this late. The answer is no for Intuos but I guess that's the Bamboo default. You should probably change the settings before it causes you mad wrist strain. You won't ruin the tablet, the most you will do is muck up the sensor in the pen. It's the pen that registers the pressure.

You can adjust the pressure curve in the Wacom settings (in Control Panel) to however you need. You can also set a bunch of other things like the switch settings and I really recommend to make sure you have the mapping set to screen proportion (though most screens these days are proportional to the tablet, there is sometimes a slight offset...)... I set "Alt" modifier (dropper tool) for my switch so I can very easily color pick when I am painting... it's essential for actual rendering, though I find it annoying when I am using a rotating tool because I have to move the barrel. I don't use opacity/flow settings at all unless it's very specific cases...

They improved the way the pressure curve was made in the control panel with the Intuos models, so hopefully they've refined them with Bamboo software as well. Wacom is usually pretty good about that driver stuff.

I checked out the pressure settings shortly after posting that.

You see, I like to check out the settings right when I get something new. It turns out I had set the pressure setting to high, not knowing what it meant. That was so long ago that I forgot about it. After going into the settings and setting it back to default, everything was cool.

Just so you know, I made the changes (subtly) and uploaded it to Deviantart just now http://fav.me/d5v0n6y

Started a new drawing. Any Bleach fans here? :D

I'm not sure about the hair in this one. Thoughts? The image is larger than this, by the way. Open in a new tab to see full.

So I fixed the hair. Took me a while, but I like it now (I'm a bit compulsive = lots of time wasted on nothing x_x)

Also, I wanna share a little tip I sort of discovered. If you make a giant version of your pic, you can paint in it and be sloppy/ make mistakes, and it won't show up when you resize back to normal. The shirt would have driven me CRAZY if I tried to be as strict as I was with the hair x_x

I still gotta neaten it up, but it's better than going insane and/or rage quitting haha

As usual, advice/tips/feedback is welcome! n.n

omg Ichigo is so HOT XD

Around the Network
miz1q2w3e said:

So I fixed the hair. Took me a while, but I like it now (I'm a bit compulsive = lots of time wasted on nothing x_x)

Also, I wanna share a little tip I sort of discovered. If you make a giant version of your pic, you can paint in it and be sloppy/ make mistakes, and it won't show up when you resize back to normal. The shirt would have driven me CRAZY if I tried to be as strict as I was with the hair x_x

I still gotta neaten it up, but it's better than going insane and/or rage quitting haha

omg Ichigo is so HOT XD

That is a very nice looking Ichigo. You are doing a great job with him!

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

AlphaCielago said:

That is a very nice looking Ichigo. You are doing a great job with him!

Thanks n.n

He's worth the trouble :p

miz1q2w3e said:

omg Ichigo is so HOT XD

If you are keeping linework for the shirt ,maybe a light grey versus the black would be better (or black only in important areas). A light grey could be used for some shadowing/cell-style shading... just depends on where you want to go with it. I'll see maybe if I can find some refs in my folder...

(I'm a bit compulsive = lots of time wasted on nothing x_x)[/quote]

haha Every artist ever. As long as you're committed, it's OK! ;)

Tethered/tapered line and none-black line-work...

Marucha said:
miz1q2w3e said:
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/593/ichigodistant1.jpg

If you are keeping linework for the shirt ,maybe a light grey versus the black would be better (or black only in important areas). A light grey could be used for some shadowing/cell-style shading... just depends on where you want to go with it. I'll see maybe if I can find some refs in my folder...

(I'm a bit compulsive = lots of time wasted on nothing x_x)

http://i.imgur.com/Jtcyg6f.jpg

Thanks :) You're right, I just tried it out. The lines on his shirt look less "out of place" now.

Not sure about the face, though. I really iked the high contrast there.

Good thing it's easy to change. Like you said, I'll have to see how it goes.

Question: Tapered = line fades off/ gets thinner towards the edge? Tethered = those lines with anchors (i.e. like the pen tool)?

miz1q2w3e said:
Marucha said:
miz1q2w3e said:
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/593/ichigodistant1.jpg

(I'm a bit compulsive = lots of time wasted on nothing x_x)

http://i.imgur.com/Jtcyg6f.jpg

Thanks :) You're right, I just tried it out. The lines on his shirt look less "out of place" now.

Not sure about the face, though. I really iked the high contrast there.

Good thing it's easy to change. Like you said, I'll have to see how it goes.

Question: Tapered = line fades off/ gets thinner towards the edge? Tethered = those lines with anchors (i.e. like the pen tool)?

LOL... "tethered" What in the world was I trying to say there? Maybe I was mad because I can't get my "Wifi Tether" working on my new phone. Who knows. I meant 'feathered' (like anti-aliasing)

If you look at the reference work I posted, the linework is not a consistent thickness and is 'feathered' in some areas. That is, it's kinda shaved in some places, and bolder in some areas to add emphasis and draws attention. Versus vector work where if you add a line or "stroke", it is a consistent 3px thick line all around... a thick line can add or detract from the color work. You just have to draw over and see what works better...

What program are you using? Are you using a basic version of PHotoshop or full?
I can try to send you my brushes for linework if you are using the full...

Something like this is a good example of variation of line:

blah blah blah