By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 6 24.00%

A Link to the Past 10 40.00%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 3 12.00%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 16.00%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 4.00%

Other 1 4.00%

Total:25
haxxiy said:
HoloDust said:

Well, Zelda is in my Top 10 VG IPs of all time, and this is Zelda thread, not Zelda "superfans" echochamber. So if you feel that there needs to be a thread where everyone will only sing high praises about TotK as a masterpiece, without any criticism, how about you go on and make one, so you don't have your feelings about digital pixels hurt?

And I actually like TotK somewhat more than BotW - so far I see it as 3.5 out of 5 stars (been using Adventure Gamers scoring system forever, which translates to Good), as opposed to 3 out of 5 stars for BotW (which translates to Decent).

Personally, I also think TOTK is objectively a better game than BOTW... but in the same sense that Doom Eternal and Ragnarök were better than Doom and GOW.

If their predecessors didn't exist, they'd be widely celebrated as some if not the best games of all time. Since they do, some things are less impressive than they should have been, and the points where developers are trying to do the same thing but better become a bit jarring.

(I think this works for Pokémon, or at least worked for a long time, because of the nature of the plot, but not here).

Subjectively I still prefer BOTW, though. Running back to it just to check my arrow count a few days back (hah) made me miss the relative unclutteredness and remember the novelty of it all back in the day. It's in my personal top 3 open-world games alongside ER and RDR2.

i don't about the GOW. while if you just play to finish the game story is great it's fun. If you wanna 100% complete the game. its really starts to show how bad the level design and traversal is. like its too big to have a maze like level design that worked for the much smaller GOW.  why make so much puzzles when they always get solved for you. hopefully they ditch this level design and make something like sekiro or bloodborne level design. or heck something like the old zeldas but the whole world being a maze is annoying.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
mjk45 said:

Your magnificence Oh Great sage  I beg of you to please answer my question What stuff am I better of selling to accumulate all those wonderful arrows?

Chu Jellies, because they're so easy to come by.

Also, it's nice to see that Tulin and Riju are still smol babies even a few years after Breath of The Wild. ^^

I haven't run in to them yet  but it's good to know they are about and haven't aged. 

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

There are a few thing in the game that annoy me one is creatures disappearing right in front of you it is especially annoying if you are hunting/fighting a creature and having spent time shooting/hitting them need one more to finishing shot/blow and your blow goes right through it as it disappears right in front of you.

item selection is another it needs to be more sortable and not just lump disparate items together, besides the need for streamlining the main item screen, an example is attaching items to my arrows rather than flicking through numerous items to find the next attachment when the one I'm using has run out or isn't suitable, the the game should allow me to select the arrow attachment items so only the items I have selected show up when I scroll through the attach button.
I would also like the ability to be able to pick stuff up from horse back like you can in Horizon.
I'm sure there is other stuff that will come to mind till then please tell us what you think of my gripes/suggestions and what if any do you have.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 23 May 2023

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Also, it's nice to see that Tulin and Riju are still smol babies even a few years after Breath of The Wild. ^^

I haven't run in to them yet  but it's good to know they are about and haven't aged. 

They've aged, but only a little. Purah certainly has aged, she doesn't look like a little girl anymore, and Paya looks more grown up.

haxxiy said:

Personally, I also think TOTK is objectively a better game than BOTW... but in the same sense that Doom Eternal and Ragnarök were better than Doom and GOW.

If their predecessors didn't exist, they'd be widely celebrated as some if not the best games of all time. Since they do, some things are less impressive than they should have been, and the points where developers are trying to do the same thing but better become a bit jarring.

(I think this works for Pokémon, or at least worked for a long time, because of the nature of the plot, but not here).

Subjectively I still prefer BOTW, though. Running back to it just to check my arrow count a few days back (hah) made me miss the relative unclutteredness and remember the novelty of it all back in the day. It's in my personal top 3 open-world games alongside ER and RDR2.

I'm still early into the game and open to falling in love with it more, but so far at least I very much think this too. It's definitely "better" than BotW, but in such an iterative way that it just doesn't give me that magic feeling BotW did. It feels bigger, bolder, even more full of wacky creative ideas, it feels overwhelming. BotW felt just right.

Around the Network

Been going over BOTW and TOTK in my mind, comparing the two.

While I'm still relatively early in the latter, having just reached the first of the regional phenomena (The Rito/Hebra one) so far I feel like each exceeds the other in different areas.

BOTW has more of a sense of wonder and discovery as both the map and its elaborate physics and chemistry system were new.

This feeling is less prominent in TOTK as these elements are now familiar, but the way it builds on its predecessor's foundation with Fuse and Ultrahand, the Depths, the sky islands, and clever twists on old places is fantastic in its own right. It's less groundbreaking, but more varied and tightened up.

They also have a very different vibe.
BOTW was a game about loneliness and introspection, about trying to reclaim a lost land. TOTK on the other hand is a game about people, about working together to rebuild.
Each achieves what it sets out to do in spectacular fashion, but despite their outward similarity, they each branch out in separate ways.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 May 2023

Done the part of the story after the issues in each region, on to the next part of the story. This is reminiscent of the Galaxy duo where the two games have the same template but operate with different applications as BOTW is absolute freedom to the point you can just go straight to the final boss if you want, TOTK however has more of the story built into the structure it's basically like what ALTTP did with the old template, BOTW and TOTK are effectively the modern LOZ and ALTTP. 

I'm still of the opinion that both are the top two in the franchise with TOTK being the top game due to what it sets out. For example TOTK gives practical resource managementuse to every item something even BOTW struggled to do as most items where relegated to elixirs despite some of the uses they could have, the fuse ability for instance is a huge game changer and likely to be a series mainstay as it brings an element of monster hunter and rpg like game theory. An example of this in play is the are numerous weapons with base stats but have special traits/perks on them like the swords certain enemies from BOTW use which sent out air slashes, monster parts have a base fuse power that they add to the weapon and certain monster traits carry over like elements so when fused with the said weapon you effectively fire out elemental slashes giving the weapon utility even if you have stronger weapons. 

mjk45 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

They have aged significantly. They went from like 10 to 12 years old to teenagers of like 16 years.

curl-6 said:

While I'm still relatively early in the game, having just reached the first of the regional phenomena (The Rito/Hebra one) so far I feel like BOTW and TOTK each better the other in different areas.

BOTW has more of a sense of wonder and discovery as both the map and its elaborate physics and chemistry system were new and exciting.

This feeling is less prominent in TOTK as these elements are now familiar, but the way it builds on top of what came before with Fuse and Ultrahand, the Depths, the sky islands, and clever twists on old places is fantastic in its own right. It's less groundbreaking, but more varied and tightened up.

They also have a very different vibe.
BOTW was a game about loneliness and introspection, about trying to reclaim a lost land. TOTK on the other hand is a game about working together to rebuild.

​I've heard a lot of folks say TOTK obsoletes BOTW, but I honestly feel they are different enough at their core that each stands on its own.

Yeah, I feel like there are at least twice as many NPCs in TotK and way more sidequests. There are also more unique sidequests I feel like, with a bigger variety. That's an area where TotK improves on BotW a lot.

haxxiy said:
HoloDust said:

Well, Zelda is in my Top 10 VG IPs of all time, and this is Zelda thread, not Zelda "superfans" echochamber. So if you feel that there needs to be a thread where everyone will only sing high praises about TotK as a masterpiece, without any criticism, how about you go on and make one, so you don't have your feelings about digital pixels hurt?

And I actually like TotK somewhat more than BotW - so far I see it as 3.5 out of 5 stars (been using Adventure Gamers scoring system forever, which translates to Good), as opposed to 3 out of 5 stars for BotW (which translates to Decent).

Yeah, there's always problem of freshness when it comes to "XYZ Game" Part 2 (which TotK basically is) - for example, to this day I find Fallout 1 to be my favorite one, though I both find and rank Fallout 2 as fairly better game, in large part because Fallout 1 was completely fresh experience for me at the time.

TotK has some of the things I like in Zelda games (like caves and Underworld) which BotW was missing, so that's immediate plus for me (even though I find much to be desired in implementation of both) and probably what tips the scale easily in favor of TotK for me - I still find everything that annoyed me about BotW to annoy me in TotK as well (some things even more), but, at least so far, I'm having a bit more enjoyable experience.