By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: Nintendo Announces TLOZ: Echoes of Wisdom

Best Zelda news from the June Nintendo Direct?

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom 3 75.00%

Four Swords on NSO 0 0%

Hyrule Edition Switch Lite 1 25.00%

Total:4
RolStoppable said:

Not sure if I can believe you that such a failsafe exists, but it's pretty stupid if it was implemented like that with nobody in the game telling you about it. So if I've lost half a heart, I am subject to instant kills, but with half a heart more I'd somehow survive an attack that would kill me three times over.

I find it very strange that something that is supposedly as consistent as you say has never triggered for me at any point. Because even though I tend to play with the attitude of not healing myself until I've lost half of my hearts, shrines do replenish hearts completely, as does sleeping at the base camp near Hyrule Castle which I frequently did when I was down to one heart after a completed battle with no new shrine in sight. So there have been lots of occasions where I've been running around at full health.

This mechanic definitely exists and has existed since Breath of the Wild. This only marks the second game in a row where they've kept it hidden from players. I'm not entirely sure how exactly it activates, it doesn't always save you from a one-shot at full health, I think it's based on how much damage you take.

For reference I just booted up Breath of the Wild and tested it with the Decayed Guardian outside the Bomb shrine. Its laser deals 14.5 hearts of damage if you wear nothing. So I got rid of a few hearts...

At full health with 10 hearts, I took the hit and survived with a quarter heart.
But with 9.75 hearts, it one-shot me.
And now at 9 hearts, full health, it also one-shot me.

Tested all of these multiple times so it's not RNG shenanigans, I think it's protecting me from damage up to 50% more than the amount of hearts I have. Not sure if it works exactly the same in Tears of the Kingdom but I would assume so, they kept most little mechanics like this unchanged.

Around the Network
anonymunchy said:
RolStoppable said:

What still annoys me are shrines hidden within mountains because finding all those cave entrances is an ordeal with no clear idea for where to look.

There's a side quest that lights up all the cave entrances with a huge pillar of light, visible from anywhere in the area.

Wait, what

I definitely missed this quest 

IcaroRibeiro said:
anonymunchy said:

There's a side quest that lights up all the cave entrances with a huge pillar of light, visible from anywhere in the area.

Wait, what

Dunno if I'd call it a quest but if

Spoiler!
you offer an apple to the tray beneath certain cherry blossom trees in each region a Satori shows up and beacons mark the entrances of all caves in that region for a couple days.

psychicscubadiver said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Wait, what

Spoiler!
you offer an apple to the tray beneath certain cherry blossom trees in each region a Satori shows up and beacons mark the entrances of all caves in that region for a couple days.

Ok, it's not a quest indeed. I was right next a cherry blossom tree and it worked. Thanks for sharing

SvennoJ said:

Dunno if it's location or enemy type dependent, but there has been one occasion where I had 4 hearts, full health, got hit by a lynel and had a quarter heart left. It struck me as odd at the time and apart from that instance I never walk around with full health.

Anyway it wouldn't surprise me, there are many weird mechanics in the game and this one (if true) further cements the idea that there is no point in upgrading total hearts. That would just require better food to heal back to full after a hit. Stick with 4 hearts and all you need is lots of 3.75 heart meals! But it wouldn't surprise me either if it was not consistent and entirely depends on the enemy that hits you.

There are 2 health bars btw. I always walk around with 1 heart for desperate strength double damage, yet the light roots restore my gloomed out hearts. A lot of the enemies down in the depths take out the gloom free black hearts first, thus leaving my 1 red heart intact. No idea whether a gloom based attack also has a fail safe when still being gloom free. (But not full health)

Is there a way to reduce total hearts, if I could have just one then permanent desperate strength bonus and with the fail safe, just eat a shroom after each hit lol.

This one hit kill prevention was also in BotW and worked the exact same way. It doesn't matter what enemy it is. Only master mode removed it.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I doubt that gloom-based attacks have a failsafe, because they deal exclusively full hearts of damage.

There's a way to reduce hearts, but only down to 3 hearts and not below. Just like in BotW, there's a demon statue that takes earned containers from you and then allows you to reapply such a container as one of your choice (heart or stamina). That would be the only way for me now to verify that weird failsafe mechanic for non-gloom attacks, because I now have full stamina and 36 hearts after completing 149 shrines.

I am at 57% map completion now, so after doing the shrines I can alternate between looking for caves and wells, collecting korok seeds and doing sidequests. Looking at the post above, I should do sidequests first. Also managed to complete all main objectives today, because on Monday when I beat the game I hadn't done the search for the final sage yet.

Ugh I won't be done with this game until next year lol. Seriously the amount of stuff to do in this game is starting to stress me out lol. Oh well, Ninty saving me lots of money, no need to buy anything else!

@mZuzek Thanks for testing it. So not entirely pointless to get more hearts! Just need enough to trigger the fail safe for the worst hits. Or enough armor.

IcaroRibeiro said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Spoiler!

Ok, it's not a quest indeed. I was right next a cherry blossom tree and it worked. Thanks for sharing

There's a quest linked to it as well.

mZuzek said:

This mechanic definitely exists and has existed since Breath of the Wild. This only marks the second game in a row where they've kept it hidden from players. I'm not entirely sure how exactly it activates, it doesn't always save you from a one-shot at full health, I think it's based on how much damage you take.

For reference I just booted up Breath of the Wild and tested it with the Decayed Guardian outside the Bomb shrine. Its laser deals 14.5 hearts of damage if you wear nothing. So I got rid of a few hearts...

At full health with 10 hearts, I took the hit and survived with a quarter heart.
But with 9.75 hearts, it one-shot me.
And now at 9 hearts, full health, it also one-shot me.

Tested all of these multiple times so it's not RNG shenanigans, I think it's protecting me from damage up to 50% more than the amount of hearts I have. Not sure if it works exactly the same in Tears of the Kingdom but I would assume so, they kept most little mechanics like this unchanged.

Interesting and worth keeping in mind for the next Zelda game (or master mode in TotK if it gets added down the line). Because otherwise it's not of much use anymore due to knowing the games already and therefore having much less risk of getting in situations where you'd even need this.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

Interesting and worth keeping in mind for the next Zelda game (or master mode in TotK if it gets added down the line). Because otherwise it's not of much use anymore due to knowing the games already and therefore having much less risk of getting in situations where you'd even need this.

I think if it works in reverse as well, as in you do a little extra damage if an enemy would have a sliver of health left after a hit. I've noticed that when they fight against each other they can be left with a sliver of health (and still hit max strength of course). Yet when I do my sneak strike attacks, there doesn't seem to be anything between 10-20% left and nothing. With all the time spend I've never had a hit where an enemy was left with just a pixel of health left. (Like what a Stalnox remains at if you don't hit its eye) A gimme, close enough, enemy dead. Very nice!

The last 20-25% of the Depths I have remaining is a big maze. I guess I'm under the jungle/tropical biome, lot of water there, thus lots of walls and a lot of backtracking. Now I wonder whether Zonaite regenerates as well, seems to be as I keep finding more empty camps with Zonaite repopulated. The boxes are still empty of loot and the enemies still gone, just Zonaite statues. I haven't seen anything come back in the mines yet, but I tend to go around them when backtracking as they are always in a deep hole.

At least kills of static enemies have been permanent so far!

SvennoJ said:

I think if it works in reverse as well, as in you do a little extra damage if an enemy would have a sliver of health left after a hit. I've noticed that when they fight against each other they can be left with a sliver of health (and still hit max strength of course). Yet when I do my sneak strike attacks, there doesn't seem to be anything between 10-20% left and nothing. With all the time spend I've never had a hit where an enemy was left with just a pixel of health left. (Like what a Stalnox remains at if you don't hit its eye) A gimme, close enough, enemy dead. Very nice!

The last 20-25% of the Depths I have remaining is a big maze. I guess I'm under the jungle/tropical biome, lot of water there, thus lots of walls and a lot of backtracking. Now I wonder whether Zonaite regenerates as well, seems to be as I keep finding more empty camps with Zonaite repopulated. The boxes are still empty of loot and the enemies still gone, just Zonaite statues. I haven't seen anything come back in the mines yet, but I tend to go around them when backtracking as they are always in a deep hole.

At least kills of static enemies have been permanent so far!

It's my impression as well that sneak attacks either end with complete success or a notable chunk of health left.

Zonaite does regenerate, just like all the ore spots in the overworld; it likely takes around one in-game week. Crates do replenish with arrows too, but only if enough time has passed; if they merely respawned because you entered a shrine nearby, they are commonly empty. Treasure chests will disappear forever once they've been looted and you've gone enough distance away from them or entered a shrine; the game always makes an immediate auto-save after a chest has been looted. Destructible rocks (whether brown, blue or glowing like in the mines in the underground) are seriously saved exactly to the bits you have not destroyed yet.

I am not sure what exactly you refer to with static enemies, but my impression is that absolutely everything respawns once a blood moon has triggered. Minibosses on the map will be marked with a tag along the lines of "defeated before" when their health appears on screen; I still mark my defeated ones with stamps, because I wouldn't know what else I would do with 300 total stamps that can be added to the three maps. I am sure somewhere in this game is an NPC that awards you with a medal if you you've killed all minibosses of a type just like in BotW, so my stamps will help to easier check what I've missed. Up till now I've used around 60 stamps, but I am expecting around 200 minibosses in this game.

I really wish TotK's map was segmented like the one in Xenoblade Chronicles X, because this made it more fun to complete the game and more manageable to do it on your own without a guide. Of course it would also be better if TotK wasn't as overloaded with little things; the reward for finding korok seeds has even be lessened in the sequel because the strongly increased durability of weapons makes the limited weapon slots much less of an issue. But the next Zelda won't be Breath of the Wild 3 anyway, so there's a good chance that many things will be reworked and improved for an all-new game that may or may not be released before the end of the 2020s.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.