By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best shooter in the past 5 years?

KHlover said:
JayWood2010 said:
Jay520 said:

So critical acclaim + popularity is the objective measure of quality. Great.

I actually thought this was pretty well known that good games sell well.  I bet you cant name too many games that are bad that has sold well.  Then name all the bad games that has sold more than 10 million.  If you can then ill say im wrong.

Not quite 10Mil, but the "Farming Simulator" games sell extremely well for their genre and budget (!). You wouldn't exactly call them good games, would you?

But defining a game as good is difficult enough for itself, I mean to all the players of (again) Farming Simulator for example the game HAS to be good, they wouldn't buy it else. 

I'm assuming you are talking about a social game?

I would post every game that has sold more than 5m on consoles but it will be a really long list and take up too much room on the thread so I will just link you. there is 165 games that has sold more than 5m on consoles or PC that we know of anyways and I cant point out any of them that are bad myself. http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
KHlover said:
JayWood2010 said:
Jay520 said:

I actually thought this was pretty well known that good games sell well.  I bet you cant name too many games that are bad that has sold well.  Then name all the bad games that has sold more than 10 million.  If you can then ill say im wrong.

Not quite 10Mil, but the "Farming Simulator" games sell extremely well for their genre and budget (!). You wouldn't exactly call them good games, would you?

But defining a game as good is difficult enough for itself, I mean to all the players of (again) Farming Simulator for example the game HAS to be good, they wouldn't buy it else. 

I would post every game that has sold more than 5m on consoles but it will be a really long list and take up too much room on the thread so I will just link you. there is 165 games that has sold more than 5m on consoles or PC that we know of anyways and I cant point out any of them that are bad myself. http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/

No, a retail game.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=farming+simulator

They use the same engine since 2009, so development costs are almost zero. Each version of the game sells over 100k units in Germany alone and the 2013 version is currently tracked at over 500k here at VGChartz.

KHlover said:
JayWood2010 said:
KHlover said:
JayWood2010 said:
Jay520 said:

No, a retail game.

They use the same engine since 2009, so development costs are almost zero. Each version of the game sells over 100k units in Germany alone and the 2013 version is currently tracked at over 500k here at VGChartz.

Did you say before that it has sold 10 million copies?  I know vgchartz doesnt really track PC games so im curious?

Spec Ops the line. Granted I don't play a lot of shooters, both 1st or 3rd person but from what I played, Specs ops the line is special. It plays with you, making you question who is the good guy and the bad guy and the cost of being a "hero." It doesn't glorify or fantasize mindless violence, although you are forced to part take in it. It had great storytelling, engaging characters, beautiful presentation (even if the graphics were lacking a bit) and a fantastic ending.

The game play was responsive, unlike what most people say about it and the simple squad mechanics work wonderfully. It makes for a bit more tactical approach to fighting your way through the game. I cannot recommend it enough, even if just for the single player which is the main drive of the game anyways. I think of it as the "uncharted" of shooters, although it is not as epic as uncharted. Nevertheless, my time with the game was a blast and it was quite the challenge on the 2nd highest difficult on my first run through the game.

EDIT: If uncharted counts as a shooter, seeing as it is more action-adventure than it is third person shooter, then my vote goes to Uncharted 2, closely followed by Spec Ops and then Uncharted 3.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

JayWood2010 said:
KHlover said:
JayWood2010 said:
KHlover said:
JayWood2010 said:
Jay520 said:

No, a retail game.

Did you say before that it has sold 10 million copies?  I know vgchartz doesnt really track PC games so im curious?

Definately not 10Mil. But with the latest game tracked at 500k by VGC and the hilariously bad PC tracking here I guess the series from 2008 on might be at ~4-5Mil sales. For a game virtually without ANY development costs in a genre no one cares about these are incredibly good sales for an incredibly bad game.

Around the Network

But farming simulator 2013 is pretty awesome.. very deep...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

KHlover said:

Definately not 10Mil. But with the latest game tracked at 500k by VGC and the hilariously bad PC tracking here I guess the series from 2008 on might be at ~4-5Mil sales. For a game virtually without ANY development costs in a genre no one cares about these are incredibly good sales for an incredibly bad game.

Wow that is crazy XD lol

JayWood2010 said:
KHlover said:

Wow that is crazy XD lol

Trust me, no one in Europe gets it either XD

The best explanations professional video game magazines have come up with are farmers who want to play with machines they can't afford IRL, senile grannies buying the game for their grandchilds (it is like $30) and jobless people with too much time on their hands.

And to demonstrate how cheap the devs are: Many of the sounds, in-game models and bugfixes were actually provided by the community. Development costs for each game are rumoured to be < 40.000€!!!

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
ThatGreekGuy said:
Raze said:
Does Left For Dead 2 count as a shooter? If so, that's my pick!

You shoot guns in the game....

yea it's a first person shooter with Zombies in it. it's a thrill ride online.

OT: 

KZ2, Starhawk, GEARS, and Left for Dead. oh yea Resistence 1 and 3.

Definitely, I'm still addicted to playing it online. I'm logged into it pretty much nightly on Steam. =)

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Kresnik said:
badgenome said:
Anders Breivik.

Wow.  You went there.  

I just got that. Ouch. =p

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com