By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best shooter in the past 5 years?

Hm... probably Gears 3 for me, or Halo Reach. Goldeneye Wii was pretty dang awesome as well.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
riderz13371 said:

You pick Battlefield 3 over Bad Company 2?

ohh.. i like them both... no doubt... and yes... BF3 is a better MP experience in my opinion... some things were better in BFBC2 like destruction, less bugs, free MP map packs and Vietnam DLC was awesome... but BF3 just puts a smile in my face every time i play it... its full of awesomeness.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Probably Killzone 2

and im not saying that because i have a ps3, i play most shooters on the PC but Killzone 2 has this bleak, grim look to it that faintly reminds me of the legendary Quake 2: Industrial military wasteland with non stop action and anthropomorphic enemies that allows you to really hate them. it truly makes you feel like you're in the middle of a real warzone even though it's technically a sci phy game. 

the battle outside visary's palace is absolutely legendary, multiplayer was extremely solid as well and the graphics some of the best this gen

close seconds: Bioshock, Deus Ex HR, Killzone 3 maybe Vanquish

JayWood2010 said:
o_O.Q said:
Kazus said:

CGI-Quality said:

You didn't specify, and the way you worded it implies that the original Gears of War is what you were talking about (you said the shooter that set the bar). The impact is undeniable, yes, but that is irrelevant.

I'm sorry you interpreted it that way. I'll rephrase my original statement. 

"Easy. Gears of War II & III. The shooters that redfined and set the bar for 3rd person shooters and dare I even say, survival horror games too. "

well actually the gameplay in gears was built upon foundation layed by games such as the one below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaM-b3pvJk

And then was made popular by gears from perfecting it. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=153593

you obviously missed my point which is to say that gears itself was heavily inspired gameplaywise by games like killswitch

JayWood2010 said:
Jay520 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Not exactly. I meant what i said.  The opinion part on the thread was a mess up on my part but no i meant what i said. i mustve missed the pick yours part which is why im saying i messed up but  You would have more accurate results by asking people off the street than this site if you wanted to hear something more accurate.   But i was waiting for someone to say how i was wrong in some shape or another but at least you pointed out in how i was wrong by misreading.

Are you making the popularity = quality argument?

not in this case.  Critically acclaimed and more popular.  Good single player games and great multiplayer games.  Im saying they are of better quality and that is why they are played so much, hence them being addicting.  

I was tired when I wrote what I wrote last night so it may have came off wrong but yes Halo and Call of Duty has been the best shooters this gen from a wide appeal.

Best Single player Shooter - Uncharted 2 (It's shooting mechanics are actually not that great) 
Best TPS - Gears of War
Best FPS CoD4, Halo
Best Survival Horror -  Dead Space
Best Zombie game - Left 4 Dead
Best Scifi - Halo

Im probably Missing some categories but Halo and Call of Duty are popular because of how afddicting and good they are.  Notice I didnt say Black ops 2 or MW3.  I chose Call of Duty 4 because that is when it was completely original and nobody can argue that it isnt good regardless if you like it or not. If you want to say Halo and CoD are not of quality then i dont even want to debate with you.  

P.S. I hate CoD now and you wont here me saying its bad.  I just wish they wouldnt release it yearly and maybe update the game.

i'd think that if there's any game up there with CoD at this point in time it'd be battlefield

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Raze said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
ThatGreekGuy said:
Raze said:
Does Left For Dead 2 count as a shooter? If so, that's my pick!

You shoot guns in the game....

yea it's a first person shooter with Zombies in it. it's a thrill ride online.

OT: 

KZ2, Starhawk, GEARS, and Left for Dead. oh yea Resistence 1 and 3.

Definitely, I'm still addicted to playing it online. I'm logged into it pretty much nightly on Steam. =)

yep it's defiantly a blast. i played it on 360, but i'll likely pick it up for PC soon. hope it comes to PS4 since Gabe seems to be in Sonys ass as of Portal2.

I'd imagine we'll see a L4D3 within a year or 2. =)

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

o_O.Q said:
JayWood2010 said:
o_O.Q said:
Kazus said:

CGI-Quality said:

You didn't specify, and the way you worded it implies that the original Gears of War is what you were talking about (you said the shooter that set the bar). The impact is undeniable, yes, but that is irrelevant.

I'm sorry you interpreted it that way. I'll rephrase my original statement. 

"Easy. Gears of War II & III. The shooters that redfined and set the bar for 3rd person shooters and dare I even say, survival horror games too. "

well actually the gameplay in gears was built upon foundation layed by games such as the one below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaM-b3pvJk

And then was made popular by gears from perfecting it. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=153593

you obviously missed my point which is to say that gears itself was heavily inspired gameplaywise by games like killswitch

Yes that is compltely true XD

i always saw Gears like a cross breed between RE 4 and Unreal Tournament

Raze said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Raze said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
ThatGreekGuy said:
Raze said:
Does Left For Dead 2 count as a shooter? If so, that's my pick!

You shoot guns in the game....

yea it's a first person shooter with Zombies in it. it's a thrill ride online.

OT: 

KZ2, Starhawk, GEARS, and Left for Dead. oh yea Resistence 1 and 3.

Definitely, I'm still addicted to playing it online. I'm logged into it pretty much nightly on Steam. =)

yep it's defiantly a blast. i played it on 360, but i'll likely pick it up for PC soon. hope it comes to PS4 since Gabe seems to be in Sonys ass as of Portal2.

I'd imagine we'll see a L4D3 within a year or 2. =)

well here's hoping it come to PS3 or 4.

sergiodaly said:
fun with friends on multiplayer? Battlefield Bad Company 2...

best MP shooter imo BF3 (my friends did carry to BF3 too but they got GF and spoil the saturday afternoon of BF MP tradition... bastards)

best overall KZ2... the Radec fight on Elite Difficulty was epic. the MP is fun, addictive and some what old school... get the platinum for this game was a epic task for me...

i'll likely never plat a game. to tedious for me. i'm more of the kill first, and be surprised i get a trohpy for being a merciless killer.

KZ2 is defiantly the best over all.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
i always saw Gears like a cross breed between RE 4 and Unreal Tournament

I personally didn't like Gears but thats probably because I prefer fast shooters like Halo

Yay!!!