By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - We need to talk about the Wii U sales, what happened?

I read somebody thinks Wii Fit U and Just Dance U could "save" Wii U, but I have a doubt: while I can see some uses of the tablet with Wii Fit, I really can't see how it could offer any major advantage to dance games, it could be instead a hindrance to them, as the position you keep holding it is never assumed in partner dances and almost never in solo ones, and even in this case, only for short times.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

There`s one thing that could really help sales on the next Wii Fit and Just Dance: use the camera on the controller to record you dance moves or exercises and put them online on Miiverse!

I think I love Mummelmann. 6 Months ago I would have hated hearing what he's saying, but I've lost all faith in Nintendo since then & my eyes are open to how narrow minded I was as a Nintendo fanboy.
I still have and play lot's of old Nintendo games but I've lost all connecting to what they're doing now.

DélioPT said:
There`s one thing that could really help sales on the next Wii Fit and Just Dance: use the camera on the controller to record you dance moves or exercises and put them online on Miiverse!

But unless somebody else films the dancer, it would be a hindrance this way too, Kinect and PS Eye would be better solutions for this job, and produce more stable videos. Even teens that sometimes film themselves dancing with their smartphones would find the tablet awkward for this job, as it's bigger and designed to be used with two hands.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
DélioPT said:

But unless somebody else films the dancer, it would be a hindrance this way too, Kinect and PS Eye would be better solutions for this job, and produce more stable videos. Even teens that sometimes film themselves dancing with their smartphones would find the tablet awkward for this job, as it's bigger and designed to be used with two hands.

Not really. Remember that Wii U video before E3 where those two guys were talking and the Wii U gamepad was next to the tv?
Just use the Wii U charge thingie and filming won`t be a problem.

Around the Network
DélioPT said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
DélioPT said:

Not really. Remember that Wii U video before E3 where those two guys were talking and the Wii U gamepad was next to the tv?
Just use the Wii U charge thingie and filming won`t be a problem.

OK, this should solve the problem. Then it will compete on a par with Kinect and Move, for what concerns HW capabilities. This should give it an edge if the potential buyer of the game still has to buy a console, while for those already owning a PS3 or a XB360 without Move or Kinect, the additional cost required to play the game on their current consoles will be a lot lower than buying a new one for it, and obviously for those owning Move or Kinect too, the game won't be a system seller for Wii U. So basically the game can be really a system seller amongst people that don't own a console yet, or that own older than 7th gen ones.

I guess there's always the possibility that both the Wii-U and the Vita, you know, failed.

Most people probably have been spoiled by a very successful last generation but before that there were always consoles who failed or not sold well. Hell in the 6th generation you could argue only the PS2 and the GBA succeeded.

I can only speak for myself. I need a price-cut and for some more games I want to play to come out on the system.

The problem with WiiU is it is the anti-thesis of the Wii. With Wii Nintendo asked themselves 'How do we connect with people who aren't now playing games' the answer - get rid of the dual analog controller that was a hinderence to new people coming in. They did this brilliantly with the wiimote - so simply anyone could use it. Designed to resemble a tv remote so it was non-intimidating. And allowed all new gameplay possibilities.
Challenge was, it also didn't work well for some traditional gameplay.

With WiiU Nintendo asked a different question. 'How do we make a controller the core wants, the casuals will accept and respond to the threat of tablets?' There answer was to make a dual-analog-wiimote-tablet hybrid in a bid to be all things to all people. This is why it's the anti=thesis of the Wii. Wii was simplicity and elegance. WiiU is a confusing mess of a controller that is nothing to anyone. It's compromised on all fronts. Worse it's expensive and making the WiiU cost far too much for what it's otherwise offering.

WiiU will never sell well. It will be a short lived console. Expect a true Wii replacement in 2016

I will tell you what the problem is. People see the Wii-U and think ''wow great, a tablet with buttons that plays Nintendo games!''. Then the realize you can only use it with the console nearby and then they think: ''Why would i need this if i already have an IPad that enterntains the whole family and that i can take anywhere?''.

It might sound a bit bashy but it's the truth. The only advantage the Wii-U has over other systems is the tablet controller, but most people i know already have a IPad or other tablet. Also the Wii's advantage was that it introduced an ''active'' type of gameplay for the whole family, that's what made it sell.

Nintendo was on the right path with the tablet controller idea, but it should have been an stand-alone system that you could use anywhere.