By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Monolith Soft Game - Codenamed "X" - In-game footage!

curl-6 said:
chris_wing said:
Enjoy your one sided discussion everyone.

You mean the graphical discussion? I'm more than open to people disagreeing with me, but you can't blame people excited for a game for defending it.

forget it curl...some people have made up their minds about Nintendo, and nothing will ever change their minds.  Kinda' silly actually to wish ill on a company that did nothing to them.

Around the Network
Soriku said:

I bet Ninja and Chris aren't even JRPG fans anyway. If you're a JRPG fan there's no reason why this game shouldn't be one of your most anticipated games. If the game comes out and has reviews similar to Xenoblade (which has a 92 on Metacritic) this whole talk will be nonsense. Ninja is so deep into this he has his sig based around this game...

But once again, let me post Xenoblade's initial look compared to the final product:

On the Wii the game doesn't look this sharp, but all the detail's there.

Would also like to point out that in the first pic is a beta map that didn't even make it in the final game, but was still on the disc and accessible with the moon jump hack. Despite that, they've added a ton more detail from when they first showed it off, though it still hasn't been fully completed. You can see it here:

And as for Chris' GIF, not even Xenoblade had grass pop in like that.

damn, those pics look hella clean...almost 360 like!!! Pics like that makes me feel so tempted to try Dolphin...almost!!!

ninjablade said:

developers have said wii u is on par with current gen

Frozenbyte, Shin'en, Gearbox and 5th Cell have all stated that it is more powerful than the PS3/360, citing its larger RAM and more modern GPU.

Wait he came back? Lol, even after saying he's done twice and a ban.

Wyrdness said:
Wait he came back? Lol, even after saying he's done twice and a ban.

Looks like it's time for me to restock on Troll-Away. I'll get extra for everyone else.

Around the Network

I'm in the media, I've spoken to developers, they say it's mote powerful than the PS3/X360.

I'm also a self certified tech geek and I build computers for fun and I've studied computer science and based on the known details, it's more powerful than the X360/PS3.

Why is still even getting debated? Why are some of you intentionally so negative? Why do some of you non-Nintendo fans spend more time in the Nintendo boards than ay other section on this forum? If all you can do is be negative, post with the intent to irritate and frustrate and divert a good discussion onto an irrelevant tangent, take it somewhere else.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I really like it, the game looks like impresive, I think that have a lot to raise, like Xenoblade did it, the firsts images didn´t look even early that the final game aspect. Here is a pic that I really enjoy to see. It´s blurry, but have a lot time to be released. Promising, no doubt.

I don't know if this was already posted, but i got this is from NeoGAF:

"I think some people are forgetting that X is still deep in development. The trailer probably only consists of gameplay elements because Nintendo rushed Monolith to throw together a trailer in time for an urgent Nintendo Direct. I mean, you wouldn't expect a typical reveal trailer to name the lead character "Tester". There's also a lot of inconsistency with the environments, which screams 'still in development'.

I wanted to point out this GIF specifically:

If you look at the first sword swing animation, it's immediately apparent that it's a placeholder. Only his upper body is moving, the bottom half is completely still. There's also no smooth transition to the next attack, which even Xenoblade had. Another oddity to point out is the particle effects throughout the trailers, which are also low quality compared to almost everything else, meaning they might also be placeholders. There's still a while to go in this game's development it seems.

With that said, it's also one of the most impressive shots of any console game I've seen. The foliage is high quality and alive, the enemies shadows are soft, the models are insanely detailed and the draw distance is top notch. There's nothing to really fault here. It certainly has that next gen feel to it.

The backgrounds also look incredible. If it's anything like Xenoblade, chances are they're not just props, but actual explorable locations.

It's hard to compare with a game like Skyrim and RDR, since the art direction for the games are on opposite ends. I prefer the foliage of X over the foliage of RDR, but that's a matter of preferences since the foliage is meant to look more lush in X. Skyrim's foliage is worse than both RDR and X though, since it's not as dense and it doesn't draw foliage too far off into the distance.

If X manages to keep a steady framerate at 720p while preserving the insane draw distances and large worlds of Xenoblade, I'd personally rate it above any other open world game on the 360. But this argument matters very little anyway, since 'next gen' or not, it seems the vast majority are satisfied with what we have here. It's going to be an amazing game."

And:

"The grass pop in is likely because the game is incomplete. Not even Xenoblade suffered from that, as it employed a graceful fade in approach for its LOD models.

Anyway, if you think it's not a technically impressive game, that's good and all, but I beg to differ. Take this shot for example:

For one, the draw distance is as good as it gets. It's clear as daylight with no standard current-gen fog to cleverly limit the draw distance. It also doesn't look sparse like many games with high draw distances. Sure, it uses LOD, but the majority of open world games in existence, whether console or PC, utilize LOD, or else you'd be stuck with crappy pop ins. It's not really a 'trick', but a standard design choice employed to maximize performance.

Another thing to note is the high quality self shadowing. The sword is casting a smooth shadow on the player's back. A lot games now do employ self shadowing though only to a certain extent, as the majority of its implementation is limited to main characters only and a limited amount of props. Take a look at the following GIF:

Pay attention to the smaller enemy. Not only is there self shadowing, but there is also a highly detailed shadow cast from the tree above onto the enemy, meaning there's dynamic projective shadowing cast from static environment objects onto dynamic objects. It's all realtime. When taking into account the scale of the game, that's bloody impressive. Also, as mentioned in my other post, the foliage is marvelous.

I also just realized the environment casts a reflection onto the water in both GIFs. Not a big deal at all, but at least we're gone from the awful Xenoblade water :P

This screen capture also shows that high-resolution normal maps and specular maps are being used, since even at that close distance, the detail on the enemy still holds up well.
Guess that's where the added RAM comes in handy. If the game manages to keep a locked framerate and a minimum 720p resolution, it will certainly be a lot more than just decent in comparison to PS3 and 360 titles.

Time will tell I guess.

Also, IIRC, Skyrim does use LOD, though probably not as effectively as some would've hoped."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46834569&postcount=670
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46829584&postcount=592

This, my friends, is how you talk about techincal details. Also, there is simply no way a PS3/360 would be able to run so many soft shadows as X on Wii U, since there isn't enough bandwidth nor RAM to do that. Also, just look at the texture quality(looking like it's on par with PC games running on high from a few years ago, better than current gen consoles, tough i can't really tell because of the low quality captured video) and geometry, they even wasted resources to do small 3D rocks on the ground. I'm quite impressed that the Wii U can run this game.

Very Very cool looking, but does not warrant a Wii U purchase. Nevertheless, i'll keep my eye on this one.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
Very Very cool looking, but does not warrant a Wii U purchase. Nevertheless, i'll keep my eye on this one.

I don't think a single game could warrant the purchase of any console. That being said, the reveal of this game alone propelled me from "I kinda want it sometime within this next year possibly" to "I must have it".

Because while Xenoblade is fantastic, there are tons of awesome ways to improve upon it for a sequel. And such a sequel would be doubly fantastic.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero