By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft could end up in 3rd place next-gen

These "doom" articles are about MS not making gains in the tablet and phone markets.

They still make over 20 billion in profit every 3 years. The investments in multimedia and 2st party studios this gen will manifest in the next one.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
VGKing said:
JayWood2010 said:
VGKing said:
JayWood2010 said:
If you ever want to know why I get aggravated with people on this site, this is why. There is hundreds of rumors flying around and we dont know if a single one is true. Half say the NeXbox is more powerful than ps4 and then the others say PS4 is. Most likely they will be similar but we dont know a single thing about either one so speculation should be left out until we see kinect 2.0 and the NeXbox. Same goes to PS4. I could make a thread saying why people may not want the PS4 off of things ive heard as well. Wait until we get official announcements before making these type of threads instead of picking one rumor out of the 100s that we see every day

Please read the post. This is about more than just power. I'm not saying the next Xbox is underpowered. That is the least of their problems.

I did read the post.  Things I disagree with too.   First you are talking about rumors and power of the console.  Then you go on to say Microsoft is cocky on the success of kinect and that core gamers are pissed.  WRONG! I would say that they are preparing for next gen with core games, after we keep hearing about things they are working on.  Theyve even been building studios up for this, looking at Black Tusk Studios.  They will most likely take the same strategy as of last gen.  Competitive price and buy a lot of exclusives early in the gen for core gamers.  But hey you can ignore that.  You can also ignore the fact that sony didnt necessarily deliver last year with the PS3 or Vita either.  What did they have?  Liberation and Sony All Stars?  Nothing to brag about.  This year is better with God of War and Last of Us but my point is they havent been pumping games out either.  Why?  Because most likely they are both preparing for next gen, and I actualyl find it to be a huge mistake that Last of Us and Beyond is not PS4 titles as they would benifit more from that.  

EDIT:  Also from rumors Sony will have some kind of gimmick as well driving the price up.  You also ignore that.  It's like you just picked one rumor to make an argument out of.

Sony has been puming out new IP. 2012 was proof of that All-Stars, LBP Karting, Gravity Rush, Starhawk...etc. I see dedication to the core gamer right there.

I did hear about that rumor about a touchscreen controller for PS4, but from what I understand this will be much more like the Ouya controller than the Wii U gamepad. Call me crazy but I don't see touchscreen as a gimmick. Maybe back in 2006.....

There is no point in "pumping" out exclusives if the gamers dont care. Halo 4 sold on par to ALL 2012 PS3 exclusives. Just counting 1st party, its easily by a factor of 2.

Just saying, making games for the sake of making games wont get you anywhere.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

you could be right or it could happen exactly the opposite of what you said but i think we should at least see the console before we know how many people will like what they have to offer i mean, even i have no clue how much i will like the next consoles how should i know which will be more interesting for the average joe?

I'm not sure who's going to win or lose next gen, but I do agree that it's likely that Microsoft will invest more in Kinect. It seems Microsoft is gravitating towards a "casual" type of console. After the launch of Kinect, Microsoft has been less focused on 1st party hardcore exclusives and more on motion controls to capture the casual market.

Will this strategy work? I'm not sure. As you said, software for Kinect hasn't been particularly amazing, aside from a few games. Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft doesn't have the manpower to release multiple blockbusters for for Kinect. And 3rd party support hasn't been particularly amazing for Kinect either. Looking at the recent sales of the Wii U & Kinect, the appeal of motion controls appears to be gone.

Considering motion controls may not be very attractive next generation, I agree that Microsoft should focus on something other than Kinect. This could be a combination of 1st party games, 3rd party exclusives, functionality, features, OS, etc. If they do focus on motion controls, they could fail at trying to capture a market that has moved on. And this could be a grave error if Sony launches a console with adequate games & price. We'll see.

I agree with the overall theme of your post. Microsoft could make an error trying to appeal to casuals via motion controls. They should focus on other things. I don't agree with your prediction that they will end up in 3rd place though. You could be right, but at the moment, any prediction could be right or wrong.

VGKing said:

I'm sure you all have seen the doom articles about Microsoft these past few days. I think they all reveal that there is a problem within Microsoft in the form of leadership and strategy. Let's look at Xbox. Microsoft has placed all its bets on Kinect on the back-half of this gen and it seems to have payed off(2011 was Xbox 360s peak year). But has Microsoft thought about the long-terms consequences about this decision? How do the core gamers feel when Microsofts new IPs are all for Kinect? I think I speak for most when I say that they are pissed off. Even the casual audience of Kinect doesn't care for these new IPs are shown by the sales figures. People are buying Kinect, they just aren't buying Kinect games.

This is where next-gen comes in. Rumors have shown that the Next Xbox has sacrificed a fair bit of power in favor of Kinect processing and multi-media focus. The success of Kinect on XBox 360 has gone to Microsofts head. It is widely rumored that Kinect 2.0 will be packed-in with every single next-gen Xbox, this drives up the cost of the machine and forced Microsoft to cut corners in order to sell at an acceptable price range. Here is where the mistake is made. How will consumers differentiate the Kinect from Kinect 2.0? Why would they buy another Kinect when the one they already have is sitting there collecting dust? Keep in mind that Kinect 2.0 is packed-in to the Next XBox so as a result Xbox 720 sales will suffer. People won't see the need to upgrade. Their current Xbox and Kinect already have all the important apps such as Netflix and Hulu Plus. Microsoft simply cannot market this machine as a multi-media center and expect people to flock to it.

Microsoft needs to focus on the games, especially new IPs for core gamers. They need to rely less on 3rd parties and Halo. Rumors point to Sony building the PS4 with a focus on games first and everything else second. This, combined with the same price point against the Xbox 720 will lead to Sony being the industry leader once again. Sony and Nintendo are a lot more powerful than Microsoft gives them credit for. Nintendo's focus is on family-friendly gaming and casuals while Sony's is on the core gamer. Microsoft needs to rethink their strategy or they could end up losing both.

This post is full of optomistic what-ifs, glass-half-empty outlook on MS, and a hint of religious zeal towards Sony....the latter always puts a smile on my face when a Sony fan treats Sony like a benevolent God.

If anything this gen taught us, its that Sony doesn't really know what they are doing, and to never underestimate MS.

Around the Network

Casuals certainly have more money. I'd go for them if i had a say. Most gamer comments comprise of backlog stories, trolling/hating competitors and complaining about lack of money or being broke.

JayWood2010 said:
VGKing said:
JayWood2010 said:
VGKing said:
JayWood2010 said:
If you ever want to know why I get aggravated with people on this site, this is why. There is hundreds of rumors flying around and we dont know if a single one is true. Half say the NeXbox is more powerful than ps4 and then the others say PS4 is. Most likely they will be similar but we dont know a single thing about either one so speculation should be left out until we see kinect 2.0 and the NeXbox. Same goes to PS4. I could make a thread saying why people may not want the PS4 off of things ive heard as well. Wait until we get official announcements before making these type of threads instead of picking one rumor out of the 100s that we see every day

Please read the post. This is about more than just power. I'm not saying the next Xbox is underpowered. That is the least of their problems.

I did read the post.  Things I disagree with too.   First you are talking about rumors and power of the console.  Then you go on to say Microsoft is cocky on the success of kinect and that core gamers are pissed.  WRONG! I would say that they are preparing for next gen with core games, after we keep hearing about things they are working on.  Theyve even been building studios up for this, looking at Black Tusk Studios.  They will most likely take the same strategy as of last gen.  Competitive price and buy a lot of exclusives early in the gen for core gamers.  But hey you can ignore that.  You can also ignore the fact that sony didnt necessarily deliver last year with the PS3 or Vita either.  What did they have?  Liberation and Sony All Stars?  Nothing to brag about.  This year is better with God of War and Last of Us but my point is they havent been pumping games out either.  Why?  Because most likely they are both preparing for next gen, and I actualyl find it to be a huge mistake that Last of Us and Beyond is not PS4 titles as they would benifit more from that.  

EDIT:  Also from rumors Sony will have some kind of gimmick as well driving the price up.  You also ignore that.  It's like you just picked one rumor to make an argument out of.

Sony has been puming out new IP. 2012 was proof of that All-Stars, LBP Karting, Gravity Rush, Starhawk...etc. I see dedication to the core gamer right there.

I did hear about that rumor about a touchscreen controller for PS4, but from what I understand this will be much more like the Ouya controller than the Wii U gamepad. Call me crazy but I don't see touchscreen as a gimmick. Maybe back in 2006.....

And how successful was those games.  Halo 4 outsold all of them combined.  And I dont care if it isnt a gimmick, it will still drive the price up since that was your point with this thread.  Wait until official statements before these kinds of threads.  This thread was poorly done and ignores so much it isnt funny.  Dont bring up new ip's from sony btw when very few [people care about them in the first place.  Not to mention how poorly recieved those games was.  They havent been pumping out games.  2012 was a horrible year for sony in the gaming market and to say otherwise makes you look even worst in my opinion.  Ill flat out tell you when something didnt do good and gaming in general last year from an exclusive stand point was bad from every single console.  Halo 4 was the only big exclusive for the HD twins.  WiiU had a few and 3DS had Kid Icarus and a few others.  Vita had nothing that was big.  Persona 4 is an amazing game but it isnt big either.  

EDIT: Forgot about Forza Horizon.  Not as big but still a big hitter even if it is a brach off.

The games were all new IPs. Not all IPs can sell millions. This thread is pure speculation if you don't like it then leave. 

VGKing said:
JayWood2010 said:
VGKing said:
JayWood2010 said:
VGKing said:
JayWood2010 said:

And how successful was those games.  Halo 4 outsold all of them combined.  And I dont care if it isnt a gimmick, it will still drive the price up since that was your point with this thread.  Wait until official statements before these kinds of threads.  This thread was poorly done and ignores so much it isnt funny.  Dont bring up new ip's from sony btw when very few [people care about them in the first place.  Not to mention how poorly recieved those games was.  They havent been pumping out games.  2012 was a horrible year for sony in the gaming market and to say otherwise makes you look even worst in my opinion.  Ill flat out tell you when something didnt do good and gaming in general last year from an exclusive stand point was bad from every single console.  Halo 4 was the only big exclusive for the HD twins.  WiiU had a few and 3DS had Kid Icarus and a few others.  Vita had nothing that was big.  Persona 4 is an amazing game but it isnt big either.  

EDIT: Forgot about Forza Horizon.  Not as big but still a big hitter even if it is a brach off.

The games were all new IPs. Not all IPs can sell millions. This thread is pure speculation if you don't like it then leave. 

I said Sony didnt do good last year and that is true like it or not.  It doesnt matter if they are new ips or not, especially if they arent well recieved.  Last of Us is a new IP, and Beyond, both of those are much bigger than anything coming from the PS3 in 2012.  If you want me to leave then dont reply to me.  You have given poor reasons behind your statements, simple as that.

kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
kowenicki said:

A definitive statement based on rumour upon rumour and YOUR view of how gaming should be.

Excellent.

Basically "I'm a hard core gamer and I hate kinect.... they will fail"

if I'm not mistaken, you also said the Vita would succeed.

It's much more than that. I gave my explanations. Please re-read the post.

I did read it.  My post doesnt need changing.

Given you thought Vita would succeed knowing all the relevant data and here you summise that the next xbox will fail based merely on rumour and your skew of the gaming market then I think nothing more need be said.

You obviously didn't seeing as how I never said the next Xbox would fail.

Of course I thought the Vita would succeed, and I still do. I don't see why you're bringing that up. You're making this personal when it doesn't need to be.

I'm not sure why so many people seem upset with the OP. Obviously, he doesn't know what's going to happen next generation; no one does. It's just a prediction. If you think his prediction is flawed, then point at why. He could have a terrible analysis, but what's the point in getting upset and making it personal?