By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft could end up in 3rd place next-gen

Sorry, I don't trust any prediction thread where the writer ends up saying the next XBox console will be the XBox 720.  Unless you seriously believe it, and can show why it will be so, I take your predictions based on personal preference and your watching of movies like "Real Steel".

Around the Network

You're assuming that kinect 2.0 won't offer anything knew, and that's a major flaw in your argument. We don't know what it'll be able to do. Maybe it'll be the new Wii, and if you add that together with Halo, Geras and CoD you got a killing machine that will dominate.

Now, I'm not saying THAT scenario will play out, but fact is MS has the money to make a powerful box, add kinect2 and loose money the first year or two, and thus keeping the x3ox on equal footing with the PS4...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Where the mass market go, so does the crown of gen leader. PS2 owned them and then Wii did to an even larger degree (but had a lot less core than PS2).

Right now Kinect 2.0 plus illumiroom and rumoured halograhics are by far the most enticing to casuals. And the only offerings I've seen (fact or rumour) that'll pull them away from their iPads and tablets.

As far as the core goes, MS is in good with them and they know they'll be well supported by both 1st & 3rd party games on MS system (unlike WiiU where 3rd party support is questionable).

None of this hurts MS chances in the slightest.

Gamerace said:
Where the mass market go, so does the crown of gen leader. PS2 owned them and then Wii did to an even larger degree (but had a lot less core than PS2).

Right now Kinect 2.0 plus illumiroom and rumoured halograhics are by far the most enticing to casuals. And the only offerings I've seen (fact or rumour) that'll pull them away from their iPads and tablets.

As far as the core goes, MS is in good with them and they know they'll be well supported by both 1st & 3rd party games on MS system (unlike WiiU where 3rd party support is questionable).

None of this hurts MS chances in the slightest.

Yeah even if it's stupid, I get the feeling a much more powerful advanced Kinect + some of the projection/wall illumination stuff MS is experimenting with and really robust set-top-box functionality will make the 720 appeal to a wider audience. 

Casuals are kind of stupid (I hate to say it, but I don't know how else to put it), you throw some flashy lights in front of them and they are easy to distract (though keeping them around long term can be a problem). 

And then MS should be able to hold a good amount of the hardcore audience. The 360 technically is behind the PS3 in a lot of ways too (just like the PS2 was to the XBox), but it really didn't matter in the end. 

As long as it's still a big upgrade over the 360, much moreso than the Wii U is, I think the core XBox gamer will be satisfied enough to stick around. And core consumers like their media functionality too, so if the 720 is basically a "Windows box", that's not neccessarily a bad thing all around for that crowd either.

And Atari will be 1st. Where's my money?

Seriously, Microsoft has been making gains this entire generation. They built up a solid core userbase with games like Halo and Call of Duty, and then expanded it to include a more casual base later on with Kinect. They usurped Sony as the clear home console king (Sony possibly ending up with a 2m or so lead over a competitor is not domination, sorry) and managed to hold the lead against them for over 5 years. Unless Microsoft really screws things up, I think its likely they'll be on top with the next Xbox.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
VGKing said:
JayWood2010 said:
If you ever want to know why I get aggravated with people on this site, this is why. There is hundreds of rumors flying around and we dont know if a single one is true. Half say the NeXbox is more powerful than ps4 and then the others say PS4 is. Most likely they will be similar but we dont know a single thing about either one so speculation should be left out until we see kinect 2.0 and the NeXbox. Same goes to PS4. I could make a thread saying why people may not want the PS4 off of things ive heard as well. Wait until we get official announcements before making these type of threads instead of picking one rumor out of the 100s that we see every day

Please read the post. This is about more than just power. I'm not saying the next Xbox is underpowered. That is the least of their problems.

I did read the post.  Things I disagree with too.   First you are talking about rumors and power of the console.  Then you go on to say Microsoft is cocky on the success of kinect and that core gamers are pissed.  WRONG! I would say that they are preparing for next gen with core games, after we keep hearing about things they are working on.  Theyve even been building studios up for this, looking at Black Tusk Studios.  They will most likely take the same strategy as of last gen.  Competitive price and buy a lot of exclusives early in the gen for core gamers.  But hey you can ignore that.  You can also ignore the fact that sony didnt necessarily deliver last year with the PS3 or Vita either.  What did they have?  Liberation and Sony All Stars?  Nothing to brag about.  This year is better with God of War and Last of Us but my point is they havent been pumping games out either.  Why?  Because most likely they are both preparing for next gen, and I actualyl find it to be a huge mistake that Last of Us and Beyond is not PS4 titles as they would benifit more from that.  

EDIT:  Also from rumors Sony will have some kind of gimmick as well driving the price up.  You also ignore that.  It's like you just picked one rumor to make an argument out of.

Sony has been puming out new IP. 2012 was proof of that All-Stars, LBP Karting, Gravity Rush, Starhawk...etc. I see dedication to the core gamer right there.

I did hear about that rumor about a touchscreen controller for PS4, but from what I understand this will be much more like the Ouya controller than the Wii U gamepad. Call me crazy but I don't see touchscreen as a gimmick. Maybe back in 2006.....

brendude13 said:
I would say there is a 33% chance Microsoft will be 3rd next gen.

Other with a 33% chance and the last with...34%! :O

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

brendude13 said:
I would say there is a 33% chance Microsoft will be 3rd next gen.

LOL

dude really...wait until we have 'concrete info' on the systems, price, games etc.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Only way Microsoft will end up 3rd next gen is if Google and Apple enter the home console arena with iOS and Android.