By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - To those who buy music: Why?

It supports the artist, it doesn't matter if they "deserve it" or not. You aren't entitled to just take whatever you want without paying because YOU don't think you should have to.

If you think $0.99 for a song or $12 for the album is too much, your first reaction shouldn't be "oh I'll just steal it", it should be "well I guess I won't buy it, maybe wait for a price drop".

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network

i like to support artist that i care to listen to and actually wait for their next album....
they already have millions? well i bet 99% of the stuff you bought is owned by millionaires anways....

JOKA_ said:
It supports the artist, it doesn't matter if they "deserve it" or not. You aren't entitled to just take whatever you want without paying because YOU don't think you should have to.

If you think $0.99 for a song or $12 for the album is too much, your first reaction shouldn't be "oh I'll just steal it", it should be "well I guess I won't buy it, maybe wait for a price drop".

Maybe you should get off your high horse and start thinking realistically. 

Music don't have price drops anymore. And technically it's considered file sharing, not stealing. 

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Just because a person is rich doesn't make it morally ok to steal from them. That would be like saying a particular store is making big profits, so it's ok to walk in and shoplift from them.

And the term 'file sharing' does not make it better than stealing. You own something that somebody worked to produce, and you didn't pay for it. Pirating games - stealing, pirating movies - stealing, pirating software - stealing, pirating music - stealing.

ps3-sales! said:
JOKA_ said:

Maybe you should get off your high horse and start thinking realistically. 

Music don't have price drops anymore. And technically it's considered file sharing, not stealing. 

High horse?  I think its called being a decent human by giving people who worked on a product some compensation (read: money) for their effort.

I am being realistic.  When I cannot afford something/think the price of something is too high....I don't buy it.  When I walk into a convenience store and see a $2 candy bar but I only have a $1... I don't buy it.  When I look on Steam and I see a game for $60 that I don't think is worth $60...I don't buy it.  When I see an album on iTunes for $12 that I don't want to pay $12 for...I don't buy it.

Fine, music doesn't have price drops.  That doesn't mean pirate it, it means....wait for it.....don't buy it!

And I'm sorry, but it is stealing. 

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network

I only buy music from artists who aren't well known such as Uppermost or Mitis (Yeah you guys don't know them lol). Reason being because famous artists such as Justin Bieber make most of their money from merchandise sales and concerts/touring. When you buy a well known artists music online most of your money goes to the record label not the artist.

This is why I support smaller musicians because they don't depend on merchandise sales (cause they have no merchandise) and they don't earn a lot of money from touring because not many people know who they are therefore they don't sell many tickets.

Don't listen to mainstream music, and even if I did, I would listen to it on Youtube or pirate it. Games and films on the other hand I always buy.

brendude13 said:
Don't listen to mainstream music, and even if I did, I would listen to it on Youtube or pirate it. Games and films on the other hand I always buy.

You really buy films?

riderz13371 said:
brendude13 said:

You really buy films?

Yes. I'll probably consider a Netflix subscription too. Film makers actually deserve the money in my opinion, and you can't beat Blu-Ray and even DVD quality.

brendude13 said:
riderz13371 said:
brendude13 said:

You really buy films?

Yes. I'll probably consider a Netflix subscription too. Film makers actually deserve the money in my opinion, and you can't beat Blu-Ray and even DVD quality.

No you can't beat Blu-Ray quality but you can match it if you know where to look =P