By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - To those who buy music: Why?

That's what bothered me though, wouldn't stealing mean taking the original away without paying for it? Whereas the music is shared, so no one is really that badly affected by it, it's same as sharing CD's between friends, but online I suppose. Since one copy can result in millions being pirated, although potentially lost sales, they can make those sitting on the fence to actually go out and purchase the CD's or even go to shows, which would probably bring in more capital for the artist. Think of it as sampling I suppose.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:
ishiki said:
why do you buy games? You can download most games for free...

Because its not 15 GB to download a song and theres no misery dealing with whether it's even going to work and if you do get it to work there's still a chance it'll stop working in the future. Not to mention if your trying to get a console version of the game you'll have to modify your system some how.

To download a song you just have to go to a website, search song, 2 seconds to download it, listen and enjoy for as long as you want.

If games were that easy the gaming industry would be screwed but it takes quite a bit of dedication to actually play an illegally downloaded game, enough dedication that most people find it easier to just buy the game.

well yes. But, I was arguing with his viewpoint that it's for some reason okay to steal music and for some reason it's not okay to steal videogames from a moral standpoint. It's essentially the same thing to steal a videogame or music from a moral standpoint and arguing that it's drastically different is nonsensical.

If you don't think it's bad  to steal digital media etc, that's you're perogative. People all have their own definitions of right and wrong. They are both illegal, but not all laws aren't the ultimate moral authority.

I mainly stopped buying music (I still buy some albums off Amazon from some 90s bands periodically). I switched to listening to music mainly through my collection and Pandora.

Well I haven't bought CD's in forever, but if I do it's because I like a lot of the songs and so I think they are deserving of money. I buy individual songs though, and I don't give a crap if the person is already rich, that is pathetic logic...if I like there music enough to buy it they are deserving. Typically songs I'm just sort of interested in I just listen to on youtube, if I feel a song is worthy enough to be downloaded it is just as worthy of purchase.

Yes I think piracy is morally wrong, music isn't a necessity so you aren't entitled to it.

Well, I mostly only if I truly like the artist/song (with an Amazon giftcard), or if I have Amazon mp3 credits. I've stopped buying on iTunes.

I only buy on iTunes if I have a giftcard there.... but I'd rather use it on apps instead.

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Around the Network

I tell you something annoying, I had a collection of free music, and songs I paid for on iTunes.

After having a few problems with my PC, formatting it. Afterwards the ones I got free worked fine but the ones I bought I could not use anymore as I had used them on 5 systems or some crap! (of which I didnt, only that the PC had been formatted a couple of times).

Way to influence my future destination for music downloads...

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

beacuse i got piratebay no money living in a country you cant even buy original stuff like games ,music ,movies its all pirated lol

and my town finally got a better internet connection and everyone can download as much as they can so all dvd stores are closed except one ...:))

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

I download lots, but if I find an artist I really like I buy their album to support them. I think I easily have over 100 CD's now. But I also have probably 2,000+ songs that I "file shared".

And also because I use the CD player in my car a decent amount. I have an Aux cable for my iPod but sometimes I forget my iPod at home then it's either CD's or the radio and I would much rather use CD's. 

kljesta64 said:

beacuse i got piratebay no money living in a country you cant even buy original stuff like games ,music ,movies its all pirated lol

and my town finally got a better internet connection and everyone can download as much as they can so all dvd stores are closed except one ...:))

well I suppose in certain situations like yours, there is no choice, because literally everything is pirated anyway, even physical copies of DVDs are pirated

....but I'm not so sure that I would still call it "right" though.....

Because everything has value and took someone's efforts to create.