By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Slow, Excruciating Death Of Final Fantasy

Tagged games:

betacon said:

You have no connection to any character in any jrpg and the stories are mostly painful to you, yet someone else has a weird attitude. Let's get this straight you criticise a game for having a poor plot and setup despite having a bias towards the genre... which you also apparently enjoy playing, you see no flaw to this?

Yeah, I don't have a "connection" to any character in any jrpg. However, there are some characters which I have liked. Auron, Wakka and Kaim for example. Stories are painful, that is definitely a good word to describe how most of them feel to me. Thanks!

I find it weird that he acts like I am supposed not to feel like that toward a genre. Or something, I don't know but that just does not seem right. Hence the weird attitude feeling. You know?

I don't see a flaw there. Are you telling me that if you like some games, you have to like every single aspect of them? Would it be impossible for someone to like a game, but not all about it and wishing that some parts would be made different?

Just imagine, a FF X like game with characters and story like from Mass Effect for example. Damn.

Around the Network
betacon said:
runqvist said:
Turkish said:
runqvist said:
Turkish said:
runqvist said:

Well, actually when it comes to jrpg:s those characters are like mushrooms for me. So I think you have a good point. I can't see that as tragic as I don't care about the characters of jrpg:s at all.

As a curiosity, I was very happy when the annoying girl on FF 7 got owned by that guy wearing black dress. Heck, the genius with "Now annoying girl can't talk or walk" was absolute gold. :D

LOL What a horror it must be to force yourself through those games then

Most of the times the story parts are quite awful to see. But why are you so concerned about poor old me?

I feel sorry for you cuz you're deliberately wasting tens of hours of your life on something you don't enjoy,  jrpgs revolve heavily around story driven character development.

Who said that I don't enjoy jrpg:s? FF X is one of my favourite games ever! You have a weird attitude.

You have no connection to any character in any jrpg and the stories are mostly painful to you, yet someone else has a weird attitude. Let's get this straight you criticise a game for having a poor plot and setup despite having a bias towards the genre... which you also apparently enjoy playing, you see no flaw to this?

Lol I know, strange guy.

Trying to make a movie, forgetting that they're making a videogame.

Trying to appeal more to the Western market rather than the traditional Japanese market.

Whoring the brand name, to make easy money.

I used to love Final Fantasy games, but I'm really disappointed in the direction of the last few games. Lightning Returns FF crash and burns in lifetime sales. (like less than 1 million global) Then Square Enix will be forced to change who ever is running the show. Where is FF versus 13? And why is there less and less charcters to have in your party with every FF13 game? In FF13, you had party of 3 (to choose from total 6+). In FF13-2, only 2 in the party. In Lightning Returns, only 1 (Lightning) in your party?

runqvist said:
So if that is the definition of tragic, most games are tragic. Think of the poor mushrooms in mario games for example...

I'll give you that; a good number of games are tragic.

Do I need to define this next section as containing spoilers for those who haven't played FFX?

What you fail to understand is that FFX actually *is* tragic. In the process of defeating Sin, the party loses a lot in the process. Tidus with his father, Wakka's brother (who Lulu loved), and Luna finding out the man she started falling in love with is disappearing right before her eyes. Luna and Tidus were looking forward to spending their lives together after defeating Sin, as though it would be the start of a new chapter for them. It's tragic; if you don't understand this you don't understand what tragic is.

The BuShA owns all!

Around the Network
bevochan said:
I used to love Final Fantasy games, but I'm really disappointed in the direction of the last few games. Lightning Returns FF crash and burns in lifetime sales. (like less than 1 million global) Then Square Enix will be forced to change who ever is running the show. Where is FF versus 13? And why is there less and less charcters to have in your party with every FF13 game? In FF13, you had party of 3 (to choose from total 6+). In FF13-2, only 2 in the party. In Lightning Returns, only 1 (Lightning) in your party?

I agree. Kitase has to go. He shouldn't be allowed to be involved with the series ever again. He's been at the helm of the worst FF titles in the series.

I say S-E should let Ito get at the helm of Development Team 1, and give their thanks to Kitase before firing him. Thank you.

Vertigo-X said:
runqvist said:
So if that is the definition of tragic, most games are tragic. Think of the poor mushrooms in mario games for example...

Do I need to define this next section as containing spoilers for those who haven't played FFX?

What you fail to understand is that FFX actually *is* tragic. In the process of defeating Sin, the party loses a lot in the process. Tidus with his father, Wakka's brother (who Lulu loved), and Luna finding out the man she started falling in love with is disappearing right before her eyes. Luna and Tidus were looking forward to spending their lives together after defeating Sin, as though it would be the start of a new chapter for them. It's tragic; if you don't understand this you don't understand what tragic is.

I would reply in the same tone, but as it would only lead to me being banned I'll pass. Instead of that, I am reporting this post because it is insulting (according to a certain moderator). Have a nice day.

And in reference to anyone who is reading this, I got banned for these posts.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4970415

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5006120

I always get lambasted for saying this, but FFX was the beginning of the end for Final Fantasy. That was when I really saw them focusing on beauty over content. It did plenty of things right (the battle system is one of the best), but the rest of the game was lacking in so many different departments. Story was convoluted but not in a way that I enjoyed at all; some characters were great but some were pull-my-hair-out frustrating; and the environments were gorgeous but empty.

And since it was the same guy who designed & produced FF XIII, that explains the current direction in main-series entries. XII appears to have been a blip in the trend, it's unfortunate things didn't really work out with Ito.

Their current direction of sticking the Final Fantasy name on cash-in iOS games appears just to be the actions of a company in financial trouble. I think FF XIV financial hit them a lot more than anyone realised. Add in the fact that there's plenty of money to be made on iOS/android and that the Final Fantasy name still holds some clout in the gaming world, and you've just got a recipe for minimum-effort stuff to raise some funds. As a console gamer I hate it, and I especially hate the constant lack of information I've had to put up with regarding what is the last hope for Final Fantasy in my eyes, but there's not much I can do about it really. I'll just enjoy other JRPG's (the Tales of series has really caught my attention lately) in the meantime.

runqvist said:
Vertigo-X said:
runqvist said:

I would reply in the same tone, but as it would only lead to me being banned I'll pass. Instead of that, I am reporting this post because it is insulting (according to a certain moderator). Have a nice day.

And in reference to anyone who is reading this, I got banned for these posts.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4970415

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5006120

It is frowned upon to openly tell the world who you're reporting, and I think its not allowed anyway.

I loved this article so much, if only for putting thoughts down in a way I wouldn't dare. If I tried writing something like this, I'd get banned and trolled. I do admire his restraint when it comes ton Final Fantasy X and XII, which were both 'different' but still very good. (great, actually,).

With me, it kinda goes like this:

Final Fantasy I - Exemplary and revolutionary
Final Fantasy II - A little different but still outstanding.
Final Fantasy III - Pretty similar to the first, but still good.
Final Fantasy IV - Huge leap forward in storytelling, fantastic game in every way.
Final Fantasy V - Great plot and job system, very impressive.
Final Fantasy VI - Oh my god such a great story and great characters! lots of gameplay and variety!
Final Fantasy VII - Droool! Some confusing plot points, but so goood in practically every way!
Final Fantasy VIII - Oh wow this is gorgeous. Squall is annoying at first but makes for one of the best character arcs ever.
Final Fantasy IX - NOSTALGIA! Great game, great characters, great production, great story.
Final Fantasy X - Linear? No world Map? That's fine, the gameplay and story are still outstanding, characters too.
Final Fantasy X-2 - Lolwat? What a silly story. Great gameplay though.
Final Fantasy XI - Nope. good game, I'm sure, but I don't pay monthly for games.
Final Fantasy XII - Vaan and Penelo were weak, but everything else, especially the battle system, was mature and awesome!
Final Fantasy XIII - ....are you fucking kidding me? no choices, no exploration, boring characters, forgettable plot, broken battle system....
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - uh, what? 9 fantastic Final Fantasy games without sequels and you make a sequel to this?!
Final Fantasy XIV - I understand why...but seriously? Have you even been paying attention to the MMO world? how could you fail so miserably?

And to make it worse, Final Fantasy: All the Bravest is probably the single most infuriating game I've ever seen. Capcom has pissed me off with on-disc DLC, Ubisoft and Blizzard have pissed me off with always-on DRM, EA has pissed me off with..well, pretty much everything EA does...but nothing compares to how rage-inducing this cheap, thinly-veiled cash grab is.

I've stated multiple times that it's a terrible thing to wish unemployment on anyone, especially in this shaky game environment, and I maintain that as long as people are honestly trying to make something that people will enjoy, you should never try to screw people over. but this? I hope Square Enix crashes and burns. I hope anyone involved in the decision making or creation of this project is put on the street and never allowed to work in the game's industry again.

Not to mention they keep diverting funds to FFXIV, which they should have just said 'okay, it's a bust, moving on', but instead are ensuring games people WANT like FFXV, vsXIII, and Kingdom Hearts 3 never get made, or are at least massively delayed.

Don't get me wrong, they've made some good games, like Theatrhythm and Dissidia, but wow. just fucking wow.

I believe the term 'die in a fire' applies here.

Fuck you square enix. Fuck you hard with a cactus.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android