By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Slow, Excruciating Death Of Final Fantasy

Tagged games:

I think the article writer is just pissed off at the ios games, and rightly so. But this is a spin-off, it doesnt affect the mainline. Its not a numbered FF.

Around the Network

Excruciating is putting it mildly, I'd say. FXIII was just not good. I found it to be one of the most boring games I've ever played. So incredibly linear, absolutely no secondary paths to take. Like being pushed through a tunnel by a giant hand. The menus were bloated and emphasized style over substance instead of the way they ought to have been. Yikes. I did not like that game at all.

XIII-2 was better, but it was still a direct sequel to a game most fans of Final Fantasy found extremely disappointing.

You know, I liked the rumor from the fall about FFXV being an open-world game like Assassin's Creed but maintaining all the RPG elements. That would be so cool!  Make it happen, Square.  Make it happen.   You'll have my hard-earned $60 if you do.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Nem said:

I think the article writer is just pissed off at the ios games, and rightly so. But this is a spin-off, it doesnt affect the mainline. Its not a numbered FF.

What about Final Fantasy XIII and its sequels?  

And what about portable games like Dissidia and Theatrhythm? Those were good games.  Square is still capable of making games (like Bravely Default), they are just ruining and milking Final Fantasy dry.  That cow is squirting dust.   

There's nothing wrong with the JRPG genre, as Ni No Kuni and various others prove.  Square are just alienating their fanbase by bastardizing the Final Fantasy name. 

There's nothing wrong with the iOS platform, Angry Birds shows a game can be simple yet engaging and fun but cheap.  yet Square-Enix thinks they can get HOW much for ports of their old games on there?  they think they can make a game like All The Bravest and that's okay? 

The problem isn't the platform, it isn't the genre, it's the developer and publisher.  Square Enix have, for all intents and purposes, completely given  up on their fanbase in leiu of "MONEYMONEYMONEY!"

I'd be willing to spend money if they made good games again.  Final Fantasy games are worth 100 bucks a piece given the quality of the games and the volume of content, but XIII?  that's not a game, that's a slightly interactive 40 hour movie with shitty characters and an uninteresting, forgettable plot.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I played the old FF way back in the day. Nothing new, until XIII. I was about 2 hours into and said "Why the fuck do people like FF games? This blows." Sold it on eBay.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Final Fantasy won't die, but it won't be the King of RPG's ever again.

Around the Network
runqvist said:
Vertigo-X said:
runqvist said:
So if that is the definition of tragic, most games are tragic. Think of the poor mushrooms in mario games for example...

I'll give you that; a good number of games are tragic.

Do I need to define this next section as containing spoilers for those who haven't played FFX?

What you fail to understand is that FFX actually *is* tragic. In the process of defeating Sin, the party loses a lot in the process. Tidus with his father, Wakka's brother (who Lulu loved), and Luna finding out the man she started falling in love with is disappearing right before her eyes. Luna and Tidus were looking forward to spending their lives together after defeating Sin, as though it would be the start of a new chapter for them. It's tragic; if you don't understand this you don't understand what tragic is.

I would reply in the same tone, but as it would only lead to me being banned I'll pass. Instead of that, I am reporting this post because it is insulting (according to a certain moderator). Have a nice day.

And in reference to anyone who is reading this, I got banned for these posts.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4970415

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5006120

Wait, how is that insulting? I was asking if I should put a tag around that latter part of the post for those who might not've played FFX. I wasn't insulting you by it... o_0

The BuShA owns all!

Vertigo-X said:
runqvist said:
Vertigo-X said:
runqvist said:
So if that is the definition of tragic, most games are tragic. Think of the poor mushrooms in mario games for example...

I'll give you that; a good number of games are tragic.

Do I need to define this next section as containing spoilers for those who haven't played FFX?

What you fail to understand is that FFX actually *is* tragic. In the process of defeating Sin, the party loses a lot in the process. Tidus with his father, Wakka's brother (who Lulu loved), and Luna finding out the man she started falling in love with is disappearing right before her eyes. Luna and Tidus were looking forward to spending their lives together after defeating Sin, as though it would be the start of a new chapter for them. It's tragic; if you don't understand this you don't understand what tragic is.

I would reply in the same tone, but as it would only lead to me being banned I'll pass. Instead of that, I am reporting this post because it is insulting (according to a certain moderator). Have a nice day.

And in reference to anyone who is reading this, I got banned for these posts.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4970415

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5006120

Wait, how is that insulting? I was asking if I should put a tag around that latter part of the post for those who might not've played FFX. I wasn't insulting you by it... o_0

Don't worry about it. It's runqvist. He's just still a bit frustrated over his last few bans.

Runa216 said:
Nem said:

What about Final Fantasy XIII and its sequels?  

And what about portable games like Dissidia and Theatrhythm? Those were good games.  Square is still capable of making games (like Bravely Default), they are just ruining and milking Final Fantasy dry.  That cow is squirting dust.   

There's nothing wrong with the JRPG genre, as Ni No Kuni and various others prove.  Square are just alienating their fanbase by bastardizing the Final Fantasy name. 

There's nothing wrong with the iOS platform, Angry Birds shows a game can be simple yet engaging and fun but cheap.  yet Square-Enix thinks they can get HOW much for ports of their old games on there?  they think they can make a game like All The Bravest and that's okay? 

The problem isn't the platform, it isn't the genre, it's the developer and publisher.  Square Enix have, for all intents and purposes, completely given  up on their fanbase in leiu of "MONEYMONEYMONEY!"

I'd be willing to spend money if they made good games again.  Final Fantasy games are worth 100 bucks a piece given the quality of the games and the volume of content, but XIII?  that's not a game, that's a slightly interactive 40 hour movie with shitty characters and an uninteresting, forgettable plot.  

If you look close.. The Tales Studio is starting to slowly take after Square aswell

They have pretty much done away with the World Maps in Tales Of Graces and Tales Of Xillia

Xillia is still going to be good but it's still hard for me to let go of the fact that they took away the World Map. It's a sign.. future Tales games will probably become more linear and will probably start having less towns 

I hope i'm wrong though

Crisis Core and XIII ftw! Suck it haterz!

I hope they announce a XIII-4 soon.

PS3: bought it for FF13 and Versus, did not enjoy or finish the minimovie that is 13 and Versus never came
PC: built a gaming PC in eager anticipation of FF14, it was the worst MMO in a long time and the system spec needed to render the game smoothly made the subsequent discovery that there was no content, just crafting, the more infuriating.

Square Enix is infected with the worst of two diseases: it has the western lust for cinematic display but at the expense of gameplay and it has the eastern lust for monetizing in game items but again at the expense of gameplay.

Fun is not what SE tries to deliver anymore. It is a pure marketing company. It wants to sell cool, it wants to sell graphics, it wants to sell music, but forgetting a game that is still at its heart a video game is still THE reason why some of us buy them. A Bluray DVD of any AAA movies can be had cheaper, and without needing to play like a dummy in rails just to see another cut scene.